Discussion Ways to Study for Exams

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rutabaga, May 29, 2021.

1. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So exam season is nearing for me, and I was kinda wondering how to study. Needless to say, I’ve went through exams before, but my study methods aren’t effective, plus most of the time I rely on what I have a vague memory of from class (and guessing) rather than what I’ve studied before. A thing that bothers me is that I have an amazing short-term memory, but also a horrible long-term memory, which helps in my math and chem exams, but I also have History and Chinese exams (which involve a horrifying amount of text to remember that fries my brain). So, I was wondering how you guys study and maybe I’ll find some kind of study method that suits me? (Sorry for the long post)

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The most essential step can be summed up in four words: Stay away from NUF! :blobpeek:

3. Rutabaga

Reading List:
    Link
    Aghhh! I should probably do that...

Bowie and otaku31 like this.
  4. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can spout one hundred different ways of studying and nothing would change unless you actually want to study.

Find an objective worthy of bleeding for. Everything else will come naturally.

5. Bowie

Bowie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well for me I do what you do LMFAO- I just wing it an rely on my small shriveled memory, but when I actually try, I usually like to listen to hype songs that make me happy in the beginning to boost my motivation. Then put lofi or some type of songs with no words that are calm (like the minecraft soundtrack, I recommend 'dry hands' from there it's super relaxing) I winged it so many times that I forgot how to study lol, but try quizzing yourself on what you don't know, maybe skim through your textbooks, see what you remember, an practice the ones you forgot, hope that helped, sorry :blobexpressionless:

Rutabaga likes this.
  6. skyfall3250

skyfall3250 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Very few people have good long term memory from the get go. The only way to remember anything in the long term is to make notes, constant revision and lot of practice. This is the only way.

7. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Whenever exam season came, i used to rewrite every lecture notes that i have for that class by hand. Then proceed to summarize them, again by hand. That's the only way for the materials to stick on my 3-second-memory brain :aww:

Hope this help! :cookie:

Munimuyi, Rutabaga and Lazy Bookworm like this.
  8. BTSaddiction

BTSaddiction Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Perhaps, try watch Ali Abdaal on YouTube. He is a greater youtuber who offers advice to studying and motivation. I personally find that the App Anki helps me with spaced revision techniques. Good luck on your exams!

Rutabaga and Jennifere12511 like this.
  9. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    not sure what your Chinese exam tests, but mine was mainly on Comprehension skills and writing skills.
    the amount of memory work it requires is miniscule
    if they test words, the easiest way to answer is by inference
    if its an essay testing your use of fancy words and story ideas, I wish you good luck
    in my opinion there isn't any way of revising better than long term practises(which I certainly don't do)
    but starting practices now isn't too late?

as for history, no idea whats your syllabus but I relied on oversimplified for my secondary school days

Rutabaga likes this.
  10. Lazy Bookworm

Lazy Bookworm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Make flash cards for simple things and review often. Like for vocabulary and formulas. I like using different colors for different subjects.

I found I did better on exams when I neatly rewrote and organized my notes as opposed to just reviewing.

For history, maybe try putting the events in a timeline. If you know that, it is easier to fit other knowledge in.

Rutabaga likes this.
  11. Moongod

Moongod Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I’ve been saying to myself since mid highshool..... third bachelor now, but haven’t succeeded once :LOL:

12. TheLastBaconOnEarth

TheLastBaconOnEarth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was a lazy student internally but diligent externally in high school (meaning, I pushed my lazy bones to make sure ‘parents are happy with my report card resultsblobmelt_thumbs), I remembered getting those mild panic attacks whenever our school announced the exam seasons:sweating_profusely:, so the first thing I do is think about the rewarding times after the exam week; whether I will hangout at the mall, treat myself to spa, go to the beach, or go to parties. Then I won’t feel super stressed out anymore.
    Next was planning when to study. I always plan a one-week-before-exams-review time (I heard our top students reviewed one month before every deadline. Those enviable nerds:blobwoah:).
    My study time consist of looking at my lecture notes, reviewing them, if I don’t have one, textbooks will do.
    I’m bad at mathematics and physics, thus I carefully scrutinized topics of each sample problems and quizzes we’ve been given, also, to cope with stress brought by epic problem-solving failure comprehension, I just mostly cry though:blobcry:.
    As a closet lazy student before, I always make sure to review the easiest/favorite subject of my choice to start studying in a light mood.
    If I had to memorize some topics, I always used the keyword strategy (you know, memorizing certain words in definitions), it was very useful specifically for fill-in-the-blanks questions, identification questions, and helpful in competitive quiz bees too.

The most important thing is to get rid of distractions first(NU, Netflix, K-dramas, etc.) it’s really hard to take the first step but it’s a must, m’kay? There’s no problem with the temporary self-discipline, it’s all for the sake of your exam week, m’kay.
    Oh, cramming for last minute doesn’t help much. Hoping to get through with stock knowledge is a gamble. Leaving your exams’ fate by copying bro seatmate’s answers and bringing a cheat sheet during exam hours were too risky. Studying honestly is the only way. It’ll make you satisfied and fulfilled after realizing your efforts had paid you back with good results. So don’t get too nervous and have a good day, I hope this long story of mine* cough* will help you. Bon Voyage.:blobsalute:

13. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, this might sound a little weird but read it fully before judging. Make a cheat sheet. Basically a sheet which you would want to take to the exam that you think will get you the results that you want. Now on the last day before the exam, try to memorize the whole thing by reading it again and again. This helps a lot for subjects that need to be memorized. Now instead of a whole textbook to memorize, you've brought it down to a few sheets of paper.

14. Deleted member 355230

Deleted member 355230 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    First things first stay away from things that will distract you . Re write your notes for me at least it helps me memorize them easier . Go read over them , try flash cards with someone . Remembering a cheat sheet might be good but I haven’t tried that .

15. Rutabaga

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I guess I’ll stop going on NU and NUF. Don’t have to reply to this thread anymore but you guys can have fun here if you like, since I’ll stay away from here. To those wondering how I suck at Chinese and History, I just suck at remembering stories and numbers, even if they’re organised in a logical way. Also, Chinese is one of my main languages, and it being my main language means they put an obnoxious amount of text and passages including modern stories to freaking Classical Chinese including poems,抒情文,descriptive text and also scenery so I have to remember at least 7 stories plus what they mean and even the freaking details small to how this one, tiny Hanzi can somehow mean a whole sentence even if it’s not their original meaning. All the Classical Chinese one sucks. Yeah. Sorry. I was kinda pissed. Anyways, see you guys in three weeks or something. Bye?

Deleted member 300842 likes this.
  16. Deleted member 300842

Deleted member 300842 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck with studying I wish I could give you some advices but I struggled with studying too and nothing helped me

Rutabaga likes this.
  17. Ahodesuga

Ahodesuga °˖✧Aho desu ga, Nani ka?✧˖° 《Liking Fiend》

Reading List:
    Link
    Always have a way to justify any claims you make in an answer. ALWAYS.

18. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm~ For me, setting a specific time for study and a specific place, helps a lot.

Also, for memorization, it helps me when I use the image technique. (And I draw them myself) I memorized organic chemistry terminology this way~ :aww: It's quite fun to do too!

Also, I make quizzes for myself :blobReach: Or maybe with a friend! Writing questions for them actually helps me retain more :blobrofl:

19. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    Listening to light or classical music can help But if you're a bit well eccentric metal will do. Just keep reading and writing things over and over again so the information just gets forcefully ingrained in your head.

20. reizleigh

reizleigh Wicked Oni

Reading List:
    Link
    Studying at midnight is the best partner it with dark chocolate~
    Gooodluck on your exam~

Oh while u read write down important key words so that u can remember it helps me a lot during exam and its very effective. Study well~