LCD Death Mage

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by lygarx, May 21, 2017.

1. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    It really would have been easier to explain that Rod can't make such changes to a soul that's already got a preset destination. Telling me to reread the prologue, when Rod only says that as the last line, is just an annoyance.

No I was remembering something he brings up in another chapter, where he says he carves his memories into his soul, in case the researchers mindwipe him, and that it worked in his favor in this life, and misremembered that it was because Rod was mindwiping him now.

2. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At five years of age he was going to get them back either way. That's how it was set up: Memories are automatically returned when the person turns five years old and not before. The problem is that he got them early. Rodcorte at one point was like "Oh yeah I should check on that dirty peasant aga- wait a minute why does he already have his memories and an army when he isn't five yet and why didn't he kill himself?"

It seems to be part of the thing where he apparently couldn't let him not reincarnate or give him any new abilities. Or as is implied, he totally could have, but being such a lazy bastard he didn't want to go to the effort because not slotting Van in when he had prepared a space already would cause the same headache Van makes for him when he breaks a soul and removes it from the system's workings. After all, he does give new blessings to other reincarnators and was secretly willing to give Hajime a normal reincarnation if he absolutely refused to help.

As far as resetting experiences go, it didn't mean he completely forgot how these spells worked, just that they didn't automatically translate into appropriately ranked skills. So he sat there going "Eh, I think my bug zapping skill worked like this, right? Okay, that's fine. Hm, Maturation isn't working the way I remembered, I must have gotten it wrong." The latter case? It's because magic doesn't work quite the same in both worlds, so he had to figure out how it worked in THIS world. But he still knew basically what was possible, just not how to do it.

It's indicated that this is actually a hidden advantage because other people who do get their abilities shown as skills may have their spells blow up because the steps taken to use them are slightly different. I don't think this has actually happened yet, though.

3. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rodcorte is anything but consistent in his fuckups.

4. DeirdreH

DeirdreH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Part of the reason that Rodcorte's curses did not affect Vandeliu in the way he expected is because Vida intervened just before he was reincarnated.

It was never spelled out exactly what she did, but I think somewhere around the chapter where he finally met her in the resting grounds we got a flashback where Vida saw the curses, saw that she couldn't remove them, and then did whatever she could to help alleviate them.

It might be the case that the original curse was "can not obtain jobs" but Vida managed to modify it slightly to add the "existing" qualifier. At least I don't recall reading anything that would contradict that and it would make more sense why the curses didn't quite work and why he got his memory back sooner than he should have.

5. xacual

xacual Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rodcorte himself notices that he left gigantic loopholes in the curses when he actually realizes what's going on so it's definitely not Vida's doing that the loopholes were there. Also there was already an explanation for why he got his memories back almost immediately, it's because after all the tests in Origin and losing complete control of his body, he got used to doing all his thinking in his soul rather than in his mind. His soul wasn't effected by the limitations of a baby's body and thus he could access his memories right away.

6. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is well before they meet her, like several arcs before hand.

Though based on one part of it, I do not think it was manipulating the curses, but making it easier for Van to abuse the loop holes, like she mentions it will help him find new classes meaning that loophole was there but would have been much harder to abuse without her assistance. I think she likely affected the loophole for all 3 in a similar way not creating them but making it easier for Van to use them.

7. metazoxan

metazoxan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That wasn't it at all.

She didn't have the ability to affect the curses at all. Not to alieviate them or anything of the sort.

But besides the basic curses themselves Van also has basically a fate to die early due to having no "blessed fate" or whatever it was. As a result he was basically fated to be born into a situation he was almost guarnteed to die early in.

It was the same unblessed fate that caused him to just so happen to be born to a prostitute who sold him as a lab rat on Origin.

Since Vida couldn't affect the curses she decided she'd at least try to improve his fate so he'd have more fortunate encounters to help him survive. But this didn't affect the curses themselves just make him more likely to survive despite the curses.

Lang10 likes this.
  8. Mastine

Mastine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Vida tried to grant him her blessing only for it to be sucked up and have no effect. The only thing she could do was give him her own blood and drag him out of Rodolt's system into her own.

CountryMage and anteopta like this.
  9. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We know what she did. She noticed his soul entering the world and was like "That's Zakkart and wow he is going to have a shit future. He'll kill himself in like a month if I don't help out. Imma put him in my system and he'll become something that matches his soul, which is either a vampire or dhampir. Since I never gave vampires any sex ed they don't reproduce together, so I guess he'll be a dhampir. Divine protection time! ...I said, Divine protection time! ... ...Okay, guess divine protection this time just means pouring some blood into his soul and making it easier for him to get jobs and making sure he doesn't hit any unsurpassable walls when developing."

So she's the reason why he gets all these crazy jobs, why Rodcorte can't look at him directly and why he levels so much quicker than most people despite only getting a fraction of their exp: He never hits serious walls in his development. So while he would absolutely have been able to get Death Attribute mage, something like Magic Cannoneer may not have poofed into existence without her help.

Also, remember how she revived Zakkart that one time with the few tiny scraps of his soul she could find and his 'residual thoughts'? She gave those to him too. It's never explained what this means, but is probably the reason why he seems so obsessed with making new stuff. He doesn't actually have any of Zakkart's memories, but he's more interested in creating new things than Amamiya Hiroto ever was. Amamiya Hiroto and Subject 0 happened to pick up a lot of random trivia that Van was able to put to use, but perhaps they never would have put it to use without her influence.

Lang10, zerol1 and kagemao like this.
  10. TouchMeLikeASpaceBar

TouchMeLikeASpaceBar [Innocent]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hopefully a new chapter soon

spycho357 likes this.
  11. ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yoshi hopes to finish translating the chapter early this week.

12. zerol1

zerol1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Btw the reason rod cannot see him is because he is outside his circle of reincarnation, stated he can only monitor those that are part of his system and when the get out (guided) he can see up until the moment they got out of the system.

Yeah what vida did was just an patch to rod curses, no existing jobs = make easier to get/make inexistence jobs, worse possible life = barely passable one,you cannot get exp = party system exist (this one did not need vida help rod just)

We must admit if vida did not Lent an hand he would have been born as an human baby and died by the week(rod plan)

13. Zamzukan

Zamzukan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True
    But you are missing one itsy bittsy tiniy winy but ever so important detail..
    DEATH IS NOT THE END :blobcat_hyper:

14. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes it is. If he commits suicide as a child, he wouldn't revive himself as an undead. If he were killed in infancy, he might be able to do so, but would then be killed again and go back to Rodcorte. He wouldn't suddenly become super powerful the moment he died again.

15. Zamzukan

Zamzukan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't most of his power come from the soul? Yes he would be underpowered compared to his 13 y.o. dhampir state, but he could still be a kickass ghost. What would a ghost with death mana be capable of? I dunno, but it would be pretty effing cool

16. anteopta

anteopta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    remember that he was supposed to regain his memory at around 5 years old.
    Vidas influence caused him to regain it way earlier.
    if he was killed before regaining his memory he would not even know how to turn himself into a ghost or how to use his mana. with his luck it would be unlikely that he would have someone teaching him how to use mana and magic.

17. Startarrot

Startarrot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dont forget that he lost pretty much all progress he had with death magic. He had to start over with only the affinity at the start. And that was only after trying to get it back. In pretty much every other circumstance he would of died and his soul would of been bleached.

18. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't bleach the death magic affinity itself or fix the soul that way tho. So its only a "temporary" fix, until he survives his cursed fate once.

19. xacual

xacual Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Vida's influence had nothing to do with why he got his memories back sooner. We've already gone over this.

20. anteopta

anteopta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you can't bleach the death magic affinity but you can bleach the memory on it. as long as he does not find the affinity again it is more or less "harmless". as "harmless" as someone with vans mana pool can be.

what we have gone over was that he did not write his memorys on his soul, they just didn't get bleached. Just like the other babys, van was supposed to regain his memory after a few years. As said he lost all progress he had with death magic, so he was not doing anything to regain them himselfe. The only thing that could have had an influence on him regaining his memorys so early was Vida.
    Try rereading the chaper when Legion went to the Legston house to deliver the letter. There was a talk about that topic when the baby (a reincarnated person) regaind some memorys for a short time from the shock of seeing Legion.