Discussion Do you like the obsessive yandere male lead stories?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by tlokhande, May 30, 2021.

?

If you get a chance, will you become the partner of yandere lead.

1. Yes.

29.5%
  2. No.

70.5%
  1. tlokhande

tlokhande Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been years since I started reading light novels and manhwas, and there are always some stories where you see yandere male leads. When I first read those novels, it felt very toxic and unhealthy to me but now I don't mind them much, it has become somewhat normal to me idk?
    But, I see some people who are really into those 'I really love and care for you so I'm gonna cage you up so you can never leave me' plot.
    What are your opinions about those type of stories and characters?

2. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to love them, because who doesn't love overblown over the top ridiculous fun like that, then I hated them, because most of them didn't see women (or men) they pursuit as people, but more as things, and that felt deeply disgusting, now I just avoid such stories in general but if they are written well... I won't mind.

3. thatweebudontknow

thatweebudontknow Apparently I exist

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok so I don't mind yandere especially the 'I'm gonna be cold to everyone but you" but the 'I really love and care for you so I'm gonna cage you up so you can never leave me' plot always pisses me off if I start a novel and it starts to go in that direction I'll drop it because love is two-sided and it's about respect if you truly love someone you'd want them to stay of their own accord not by force, the kind of so-called "love" that entails caging someone is just twisted obsession

4. sleib

sleib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing attracts women like a clingy dude :D

NOT.

Well, tbh if he is really good-looking and in a very high social position that will help a lot...it is what it is.

Fictionaddiction and tlokhande like this.
  5. TheBlueLaundryBag

TheBlueLaundryBag Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's called courting if you're rich and stalking if you're not. :blobshh:

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    Fictionaddiction and seemanta like this.
  6. The Hamster Overlord

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sure most fmc's wouldn't be as receptive to ml's yandere tendencies if they lacked either a very high social position or good looks. Though imagining that ml is actually Donald Trump is kinda funny as a concept

7. Owl1412

Owl1412 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well once you’ve seen enough of something, it can get boring. It’s boring in the sense that they’re all the same and always obsessed with the FL. Oh right they’re also all hot, rich, powerful, etc. yet literally have no life lol. Well I can overlook them for smut since those have almost no plot but in a serious story they almost always bring down the quality of a novel with their presence. I acknowledge they are unhealthy and toxic but at this point I’ve become desensitized. Also the FLs that enable their toxic behavior annoy me bc they are usually pretty stupid and oblivious but that’s neither here nor there

tlokhande likes this.
  8. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly I would enjoy stories like this if the male love interest was a good character and the dynamic between him and the protagonist was interesting and varied. However, this is almost never the case and these stories usually end up falling flat. So in theory, this kind of story is fine, but they often get warped by the author so they end up feeling terrible.

seemanta and tlokhande like this.
  9. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    I've said this before, but there's only one word I have for them "Disgusting". Why on earth would I want to have a boyfriend who forces things that I don't want, thinks he's right while controlling most of my actions and secretly sends people to stalk me all day?? Just because he's rich and has so called good looks? *Shivers* To say that the people who actually want something like this are crazy is an understatement...

AliceShiki and tlokhande like this.
  10. sleib

sleib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Donald seems to be a sleep-around type rather than a clingy type tbh.

11. tlokhande

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally agree, I guess some people are really into those possessive and controlled type of relationship, they actually really need some therapy.

SylviaViolet likes this.
  12. sleib

sleib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really, it's not that crazy or uncommon, there are women who do not mind that as long as hubby is rich(good-looking is just a bonus)...or husbands who have people "looking after" their wives to be sure they are faithful.

13. tlokhande

Reading List:
    Link
    The author's makes the female lead follow all the bullshit male lead puts them through and honestly, that is the worst part of it all.

ToastedRossi likes this.
  14. SylviaViolet

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt it very much. I know there's a LOT of gold diggers but rich men aren't that crazy in reality. If they were, I doubt that there's be as many people looking for rich husbands.

15. The Hamster Overlord

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, I mean looks and age-wise

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  16. sleib

sleib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a friend who flirted with a woman and then he noticed some police and other suspicious people following them. Then she got a call from someone and she was arguing and then left. She was a baby mama of some foreign country's minister and that guy called the government in my country to "look after" her. He got warned by some police he knew to back off. Maybe in the west with a horrible divorce system for men, women can just divorce and leave but I bet in many countries without such a system it's more common for gold diggers to stay since they do like that money. Who's worse, a woman who married for money or a man who stalks his wife constantly and uses every power he has(legal or even illegal) to not let her leave him? Dunno and don't care(for me gold digger, since I'm a guy). Unfortunate victims would be women who were not gold diggers and are stuck with such husbands and husbands who were normal and got duped by gold-diggers.

Lucila likes this.
  17. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that what's going on is that these male love interests are supposed to be perfect, so why wouldn't someone follow their every move like a little puppy? However, from an objective reader's point of view, the only things that these love interest have going for them are looks, wealth, power, and obsession. In anything other than these Romance novels, characters like this would be the villains.

tlokhande likes this.
  18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    The Yandere Love interest was the route I liked the least in the last Otome Game I played.

And I dropped a novel recently because the Yandere Male Lead annoyed me too much.

So uhn... No, I don't like them. I want cute fluffy romance, yanderes for the most part are just a real pain while reading... Though I liked Gasai Yuno, probably because the setting made her yandereness a lot less bad than it would normally be.

tonyolexia, Lucila and tlokhande like this.
  19. SylviaViolet

Reading List:
    Link
    Well there's no one who is "wrong" in this scenario. Both of them chose what they wanted and gave up other things for it. The man chose beauty and the woman chose money. But the thing is, they did not choose the other characteristics. The woman chose him "solely" for his money and not because he was a stalking yandere creep. She chose to accept it as an issue that came along with the money. What I mentioned was about people who choose that stalking yandere creep characteristic.

20. Ahodesuga

Ahodesuga °˖✧Aho desu ga, Nani ka?✧˖° 《Liking Fiend》

Reading List:
    Link
    Obsession is yucky and a turn off. 200% no.

tlokhande likes this.