Chinese The World of Deities

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by DZrt_Fox, Jun 15, 2020.

1. DZrt_Fox

DZrt_Fox Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    Name:The World of Deities
    Raw Link:
    https://www.230book.com/book/3472/
    NU Link: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-world-of-deities/
    Why It Should Get Picked Up:
    This novel was on Qidian Webnovel's Trial Read but was dropped and another trash cultivation novel was selected.
    This novel has an intellectual type of MC that actually thinks before acting, the author describes a reasonable line of thinking for his actions in the 60 chapters available so far. The MC has a good path for development instead of the usual killing of rich young masters and taking their treasures or stumbling on a ten thousand year old herb in a forest, as in the story he joins the Plato academy of magic where the teachers actually care about all the students and not just the rich ones, and the MC tries to do normal business and trading to earn money (he has the income of major noble families in the raws).
    The side characters, his teachers and friends are still relevant after +400 chapters and none of them relies on him in their development. And there are no arrogant young masters and their families/sects, the only possible conflict so far will be with the nobels of Athena as they are hostile to his academy and the regular political stuff.
    This story has one of the best world buildings I've read as the author manages to mix different types of mythologies from several contrasting civilizations, as that alone can make a good story on its own without the mc, just the interactions between them and their legendary characters opens many possibilities in this novel.
    The previous translator has done a good job bringing this novel in english explaining the different psychological and thinking methods of the MC and letting the reader keep track of his thinking process.
    The raws are updated 2 chapters/day and this story is far from over for at least another year if the author doesn't drop it.
    Description:
    At the center of the world, on Mount Olympus, the King of Gods, Zeus, smiled and looked down on the realms with his Spear of Lightning tightly in his hand. Before him were a pantheon of deities.

At the Silver Hall in the north, Odin overlooked the world on his Almighty Throne, with Gungnir in hand. In his eyes were an endless field of wind and snow.

2. magecraft_unleashed

magecraft_unleashed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dropped? the author probably didn't give enough praise to the chinese government in his book.

ZeroSyntax and Magnus183 like this.
  3. Magnus183

Magnus183 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did they really drop it? Iw was amazing tho.. I skim the Mtl and until what I read it was amazing..

ZeroSyntax likes this.
  4. Magnus183

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I don't remember the Mc promoting China so......
    You could say that the Mc seems like he was promoting western culture. Like unlike other novels where he would introduce Chinese food this guy introduce a western food. We could see from the subtle things that the author is probably neutral. The only thing was probably if I remember correctly that he said something about sun tzu. But then again sun tzu book is highly acclaimed even today.

ZeroSyntax likes this.
  5. DaoistFleetingClouds

DaoistFleetingClouds New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I made an account to support this pick up request. You can find my review for the first 60 chapters of the novel below. I would have loved for this story to get translated really. WN only offers generic garbage currently which makes I guess. Thousands of webnovels but only a handful of good creative authors maybe ...

I don't do reviews often by I will do it this time because I want this book to get picked up!
    I haven't read most of the other Trial Reads, but based on the synopsis alone I imagined the Novel to be the Most Unique One compared to the rest.
    I wasn't disappointed. That doesn't mean the story is without flaws, but that this Novel is a breath of fresh air after reading tons of novels involving gods, dragons, Immortals, Young Masters, Cheats, Beasts and so on and so forth. And to me, the Uniqueness Factor plays a much greater role compared to the rest.
    I will mainly cover the Points in this review that are unique to the novel, as everything else that isn't mentioned in depth should be familiar to knowledgable readers already.

-Setting: The setting is kind of unique as it based in Athens of the past, in a world that contains countries and the pantheons of gods of several different cultures. Yes, different Pantheons like Norse, Persian and Greece. The story hasn't progressed far enough to explore the more divine aspects but I have hope that it will turn out interesting. Haven't seen another translated novel with this setting until now. Lots of mythical people have been mentioned that exist in this world, like Herkules and Plato, and probably a bunch more ;)
    The MC will use knowledge of modern era to his advantage in certain capacities, but I won't spoil this one. Be assured it will be in unexpected way :)

Story Development: So far MC stays at the Plato Academy (Plato as in the philosopher) in Athens, one of the two Academies in Greece I think where young people can train to become mages or warriors.
    MC will probably also travel to the rest of the world in the future, as elaborated in the synopsis I think a lot of potential for future arcs (fights against students from other countries, has a touch of ToDG)
    There aren't a lot of things that happened in the 60 chapters, he had some conflicts in the beginning to resolve, then transitioned into the Academy Environement where he currently studies at

Just to be mentioned, translation quality is good enough for me.

Power System: Now we will come to the interesting stuff As mentioned before there are mages and warriors in the World, the Warrior hasn't been explained in depths but it's likely similar to the Mage Path that the MC walks on.
    --> Mage Path: Mage Apprentices, Black Iron Mage, Bronze Mags, Silver Mage, Gold Mage, Sage Mage, Legendary Mage, Hero and Demigod. Finally there is probably the God Level.
    I have to say, the Author could have put more thought into the names, especially the latter ones. They don't really sound that great. But maybe my standards jumped up too much because of LoM
    I can't remember if it was explained how people advance actually. It's possible for people to repress their levels to lower levels, so I guess it's not as rigid as in other Xianxia stories. But more fluid. I don't think the author will put much emphasis on it, might be pro or con argument

Magicians have spells to fight with, to use/learn them they have to draw ➰ certain arrays/symbols onto their mind place (can't remember the actual name). The better they draw the symbols the more efficient their spells are casted, as far as I understood.
    This is a a point I would criticise. I confess that I like hard magic systems more like in LoM. A reason I dislike HP a little.
    The explanations towards magic and it's workings have been very superficial so far, and it probably won't get better as Author might not want to bother himself too much. Can be pro or contra argument MC isn't very powerful in a magic way in the beginning (only learnt 1 spell so far) but he won't have a difficulty with learning new spells I think in the future, as he was very good at drawing in his previous life.

Cheat: Oh yes, there is a cheat. But this time around I think the author managed to make the MC himself even more interesting than the cheat, which I think is astounding.
    So cheat hasn't been explored in depths so far. It's not a system novel, no system. There was a small gag/joke in the beginning chapters, look for yourself
    It's more like in LoM, a mysterious place where MC can transport himself to. For now, MC has only discovered a way to exchange Divine Money for certain... Things. I won't spoil this. But I can say that it doesn't make MC OP. Not at all, as of yet at least.
    What's the difference between divine money and normal money ? Read the novel

People: As expected from a translated novel, author manages to balance the development of the plot as well as introduction of new characters very well. When he arrives in the Academy it might feel a bit overwhelming as MC meets lots of new people from his current persona's life. Usually readers won't bother too much about them. And so far they haven't been developed to very special distinctive characters yet, I hope that will change. MC gains friends and enemies, as well as powerful connections to protect himself for the time being against... Unknown forces.
    But I see potential in the side characters, hopefully author uses them wisely.

Main Character: The last point might be the most important one. I haven't touched upon certain other aspects so far because they are also intricately connected to MC's special Uniqueness shown so far.

MC might not be the most powerful one. Not the most ruthless one. Not the most righteous or kindhearted one. But he might be the most Thoughtful One I have ever seen. Might be at least.
    Thoughtful, not in a sense of being very cunning (which he is sometimes), but rather like questioning himself at every step of the way, always trying to optimise his plans or thoughts to changing circumstances. Always having a Plan B, C... Z.
    The author portrays him several time as an MC that reflects upon every action he takes. Why? Because he got transported to another world all of a sudden and that every misstep might lead to his early death.
    Compared to others novels where MC's need to survive deadly trials to gain this sort of wisdom and maturity, Our MC has it from the very beginning on. This does make him OP in some ways maybe. But it drives the plot so it's okay, maybe.
    This thoughtfulness is mainly expressed in MCs actions and speeches as they always have double or triple meanings and aims. He always has a purpose behind his actions.
    He uses a lot of modern day techniques to organise his thoughts or his psychological state of mind. And I mean he (author) literally uses and explains the methods in detail.
    And funnily enough, these methods could be also applied to my own life or yours when you read them.

In his previous life MC studied meditation a lot as his hobby, and to his advantage the cultivation of the Power System relies a lot on meditation. Sadly, the meditation system hasn't been developed for a long time in this ancient world which is why MC can surpass every one else with his modern era knowledge of meditation, which is elaborated in much more deep ways than you might expect.
    His teacher once said: Su Ye might not be a magical genius, but he is definitely a meditation genius!
    Or something similar ^^.

So MC will use his wits to fight against enemies instead of Brutal Force tactics. I like that.

Does the MC have weaknesses? I think he does. I hope he does, or otherwise his character progression would fall flat. His teacher tasked him a trial at the end of the 60 chaps, as he thought that MC might get conceited early on because of his surpassing strength levels. This could prove to be a pitifall for him (speculation).
    Another major weakness in his design is in my opinion his lack of drive and direction.
    As cliche as they might be, every other MC has had a tragic backstory to provide their reason to get more powerful or defeat their adversaries. Su Ye doesn't have that. His parents got murdered for unknown reasons, but it doesn't feel like he cares too much about this. Sure, he feels an urge to get powerful and resolve the mysteries about his parents death.
    But it's not a very powerful drive. Why does he visit the academy? Why does he have to put up with the authors plot?
    It's established very early on that MC could get very rich and maybe powerful enough by... entering other job/industry sectors. No spoiler.
    But he doesn't, and I can't find a compelling reason that he should or would do that. He only does because his author demands it and not because he has intrinsic believes, values or motivations to advance higher. Or I might have overlooked them.

Of course to put things into perspective, a bad written motivation like in other novels might be worse than none at all. After all, I do think that this MC can carry the Novel alone with his wits, mind games, and eloquent speeches.
    It might just get a bit strange at different point in time, but who cares, to each his own.

Edit: an afterthought. The only novel that is kinda similar to this one, is the Percy Jackson series, some of you might know. But even Percy Jackson has (against his will or not), very clear reasons for why he has to advance through the novels without stop.
    I wouldn't mind for Su Ye to become a chose one of a random prophecy. Otherwise he become another MC of many that pursue endless power/godhood for no apparent reason at all, .

To summarize:

This Novel has lot of well known tropes, and plot devices, like Gods, Mages, a cheat, fights with young masters etc.
    But 1. I believe that this novel has a lot of potential provided by the Unique setting and Unique MC, something I can only verify by reading more chapters
    And 2. This novel might not be a Hidden Gem that shines brightly in all aspects the more you uncover its mysteries, but it's most definitely a Breath of Fresh Air for those who were looking for a novel that isn't radically different from well established novels but still manages to put on it's very own unique flavor

ZeroSyntax and Dont_like_to_Talk like this.
  6. Panniom

Panniom Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be great if this gets picked up, the first 60 chapters were really good at least.

ZeroSyntax likes this.
  7. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks really interesting, but Qidian, oof...

Can't see it being picked up unless the translator teams up with them and mass-translates enough chapters to garner popular support. Brutal system and a heckin' shame, since some stories just build up a strong readerbase gradually before making waves.

ZeroSyntax likes this.
  8. Ananya

Ananya Top lvl Gokiburi Buster

Reading List:
    Link
    The novel had a self-reflective MC........how many CN novels have got that? WN is going out of its way to not pick up good novels.....it feels rather deliberate. Most of the novels picked have lazy writing(system).

ZeroSyntax likes this.
  9. rsn243

rsn243 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This novel has been topping the western fantasy lists on Qidian main site for a while now , the author's other novel based on Confucianism is considered as a legend as well in Eastern Fantasy circles. I don't know why Webnovel has dropped it but it would be difficult for this one to be picked up cause of all the trouble that QI can cause later on.

Sigh

For now , I guess you would have to rely on MTL Idk if someone will be willing to pick up this hot potato

Anyways , best of luck !

ZeroSyntax likes this.
  10. Ananya

Ananya Top lvl Gokiburi Buster

Reading List:
    Link
    Many Qidian novels continue to be translated and I don't see webnovel interfering with that...

ZeroSyntax and Lachaize like this.
  11. Lachaize

Lachaize Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like wn likes to drop really good novels such as plague doctor and this one...
    It's frustrating

ZeroSyntax likes this.
  12. ZeroSyntax

ZeroSyntax New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I made an account to support this pickup request. I hope I can start reading this novel again.

13. Magnus183

Reading List:
    Link
  14. rayraybites

rayraybites Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, I'm Reii from Cheesecake Scans and we'd like to try picking this up!
    We need to catch up on reading the available chapters first though so we'll only be able to really start after some time.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    haizimen4 likes this.