Resolved Need an advice

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by northerner, May 31, 2021.

1. northerner

northerner a stressed potato

Reading List:
    Link
    My laptop's screen broke and it's just black. We had it repaired a year ago but it broke again. We have a new laptop now but I want to get all my files from my previous laptop. Should I get it repaired first or can I just tell the repairer that I only want to get my files? I don't know which is cheaper.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  2. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the easiest way is to just ask them. But if you want some advice I’d recommend asking @xiazixin

northerner and Astaroth like this.
  3. Eldau

Eldau And now for something completely different

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's just the screen that's broken, can't you use an external screen? It might take a bit of finicking to get the right setting or move the windows over to the second screen, but it should be doable.

Otherwise getting them to extract the files directly would be cheaper.

northerner likes this.
  4. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IDK what your laptop brand/type, but got mine suddenly shutdown (it's a very old one) & can't be turned on, bought a 2.5" HDD external case, pull out & put into it the harddisk from the old/broken laptop, then safe the datas after checking whether it could still run & virus free w/ other computer

northerner likes this.
  5. northerner

Reading List:
    Link
    It broke way before but we're already using the second screen at that time. However, my brother changed the screen and now we can't change it bec it won't light up.

Clarification: it's connected on our TV using HDMI even before it broke the second time. We're using the second screen until my brother changed the screen.

01 likes this.
  6. 01

01 [REDACTED]

Reading List:
    Link
    shadeonline likes this.
  7. seife

seife Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I'm not mistaken it only copies files from pics, Favorites and vids, if the OP doesn't know the path were his file are it's not going to work excluding those 3 files.

Best thing he can do is connect it to an external monitor or take the hard drive out connect it a linux machine and copy the files.

P.S: Windows will work too though the process is a little more painful

01 likes this.
  8. 01

01 [REDACTED]

Reading List:
    Link
    OP can't change the monitor setting. But, are you also using Arch tho?

9. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless you've got the drive encrypted at the hardware level, why not just remove the drive from the broken computer and put it in an external enclosure? With the drive in an enclosure, you can access all the files on the drive just like any external USB HDD.

The cost of an external enclosure is around $10-30. Probably way cheaper than getting a backup from a repair place.

runsing and northerner like this.
  10. seife

seife Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course

11. northerner

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you. I'll buy the hard drive enclosure and do it at home.

S4TY4 likes this.
  12. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I would just clone the files to a new disk if the disk is subjected to be replaced.
    It would be faster for a physical disk cloner, but any other backup software like ghost disk to disk copy will do.

If your new laptop on a off chance have a extra 2.5 inch disk slot, or extra compatability disk slot just slot them in your PC.
    Though you might need to change your boot settings in bios and mount your new disk to the OS.
    [​IMG]
    An example how an hard disk is looked.
    (a sshd on the abrove image, one of the worst components in the entire PC history.)

Thanks for the invites.

I wouldn't recommend anyone getting a 2.5 to 3.5 mounting kit for a HDD and put those in a NAS or harddisk box. Though things fails quite often.
    Edit: on a second note, I think you meant those wires. Man, I almost forgot those things ever existed. It took a while to get those in my head and dig it from a pile of electronics trash. Though it's quite true that he likely won't have an extra slot for disk cloning.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2021
  13. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What you have in the picture is essentially what I'm talking about. I prefer to have the drive in an enclosure to prevent possible issues with ESD. https://www.newegg.com/orico-2189c3-bk-enclosure/p/0VN-0003-000Z4