Question Do you get scared reading horror novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by SleepyTy, Apr 20, 2021.

Tags:
?

Do you get scared reading horror novels?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Depends on the novel

25 vote(s)
    52.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    no?
    then again when read scary this cat mean horror story this cat reaction actually.... that interesting~
    for movies actually it mostly because of the sound

2. Nana24

Nana24 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I'm okay with reading horror novels. Maybe, I cannot imagine myself in that kind of situation. I feel afraid when I watch horror movies; the atmosphere, the sound effects makes me wants to close my eyes despite knowing it's fake.

3. aintg

aintg Fairy Queen of the Demonic Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like horror, but I often get curious... only to get really scared later. Some horror novels can make me feel paranoid and have nightmares. :blob_teary:

4. Mysticant

Mysticant Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably not, LN lack the levels of stimulation for fear in me since it is just text or at most a static image. VN, manga, movies on the other hand, is a whole different story since there are audio and visual cues. I am still waiting for the day 3D theatres can bring the smell of rotting garbage (without it actually being there) along with actual tactile sensation during jump scares or suspense buildups.

5. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're scared of horror movies but not novels, maybe the issue is lack of imagination/visualization?

Different mediums have different effects on the human psyche.
    Horror movies have strong visuals, horror games have strong agency (you're controlling a character experiencing the event), horror novels use descriptions are requires readers have overactive imaginations.

I've been into a lot of houses, both thematic and real given my line of work. They are often vacant and distressed homes. Hoarder-like activity, collapsed sections, mold growth everywhere, graffiti, areas where carpets are specifically cut out so you know the owner passed away on that spot, etc. I've wandered around at night in a dark house with no power, only to see a string of dolls behind a closed door. The visceral reaction/experience stays with me, and I can recollect that when reading similar horror novels, including My House of Horrors :eek:

Some novels that struck me as particularly scary came about at different times.
    "It" was especially scary since I read that as a kid, and a lot of the themes there applied to children.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  6. Yakinori

Yakinori Human

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really. Most of the time, I read horror novels during the day and I don't let my mind imagine the scary scene that much but I forget to do so sometimes. I found horror novels very very entertaining. I love the thrill and everything.

7. Dokja6116

Dokja6116 not suspicious

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no problems with horror without jump scares, like those heavy tension ones throughout the novel/movie, but if it has jump scares that work, then even if its a really low graphic game, I don't necessarily feel scared, but my heart tho, its too weak to even take a thoroughly used tactic in movies, that it grows old.

8. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't play horror games. Its the control bit.

I suck in the beginning and keep dying, so I get angry and frusttrated while my heart starts pumping so hard I can feel it and its worse than running till exhaustion so it isn't worth it to get better at playing this one game just for it to be the last thing I do before expiring on the spot.

No fear as such, but its such a shitty mix there's not much difference.

9. kurokitsune8

kurokitsune8 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only horror novel out of many that I have read, I became a god in a horror game was the only one that did manage to run chills run down my spine quite a few times, due to its well written horror scenarios. I absolutely recommend it.

Fulminata likes this.
  10. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nope, but i freaked out when i played fatal frame and got the topless ghost touch mc here and there
    so far only games work for me, horror movie failed to scares me too

11. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve never read a horror novel

12. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You probably lean more towards auditory imagery, The Conjuring and Insidious universe have really amazing sound effects, It really amplifies the scare level of the movie franchise. I find MHoH early chapters really scary, until it became a Sleuth, Action, Catch 'em All genre. Too bad China bans horror stories, why? I have no GD clue.

13. GamerGates

GamerGates New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, mostly bored

14. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Some supernatural horror novels managed to give me the chills. Love it.

15. babybb

babybb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes when the author is really good and I get immersed in the story my heart might beat faster, but mostly I just do that ugly snort-laugh thing when anything that’s supposed to be scary happens. It’s just not the same if it’s in words... put me in front of a horror movie though and I’d probably start crying :sweating_profusely:

16. lolololilo

lolololilo New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the early parts of "way of the devil" were scary for me, when the MC still didn't know a lot but when the MC turned into an abomination himself it lost that sense of dread for me, the novel was still one of the best because of how dark and somber its atmosphere is but it lost that fear factor for me

17. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please check the date before posting in a thread.

AliceShiki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.