Discussion Dear Asians, can you live without rice?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, Jun 2, 2021.

?

I want fried chicken...

1. me too...

46.9%
  2. no thanks

19.8%
  3. food *q*

19.8%
  4. i can eat a person

9.9%
  5. I'm an unopinionated potato who just wants polls

11.1%
  6. *noms skullie*

17.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mysticant

Mysticant Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh another interesting one is vinegar, which is sourness is something I enjoy occasionally in congee or other asian soups that lack acidity.

2. Kurogure

Kurogure Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh~~a neighbor country..

3. Nepagear

Nepagear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't....I kinda feel uncomfortable without rice.... It's more like a habit

tileb likes this.
  4. Kurogure

Kurogure Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We only have milo with pandesal...

5. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Yah, me too. But i also thought that maybe if the circumstances won't allow me to est rice for a long time, maybe i would realize it wasn't so hard haha. I would surely miss it though
    Ahh, I actually thought it was hard to get rice in the US :blobpats:
    rice with different pairings of side dishes... yum :blobdrool::blobdrool::blobdrool:

I'm trying to reduce my rice intake. Simply to match my mom's consumption. I was hoping that me eating not much rice would also help her crave it less since she has to lower her weight. Not much snacks and sweets too. Health is a strong motivation.
    An addiction!
    Isn't Milo a choco drink brand? Just out hot water and it's already hot choco hahah

6. Mysticant

Mysticant Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you really want to maximize health benefits besides regular exercise, it is to eat A LOT of vegetables and some fruits. And with as little salad dressing as possible. Think of it as putting your carbs into your vegetables instead of putting your vegetables into carbs. Not easy though.

7. flag9801

flag9801 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG] and here is the side dish that we use to pair with rice[​IMG]

8. Uselessdead23

Uselessdead23 〘Dead but alive at heart〙

Reading List:
    Link
    I would be triple dead without my rice.

tileb and DabbieQing like this.
  9. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've eaten rice almost everyday of my life and I couldn't live without it. That said, I'm not Asian. But Asians don't have a monopoly on having rice as a staple meal. I'm Puertorrican and I safely say that rice is a key ingredient in Latin cuisine. Although I can't speak for the other countries, I can say that here in Puerto Rico rice is eaten every which way. Like:
    • Rice and beans
    • Rice with chicken
    • Rice and pork/beef
    • Rice and egg
    • Rice and peas
    • Rice and corned beef
    • Rice and pasta
    • Rice and soup
    • White rice
    • Yellow rice
    • Manposteado
    • Sweet rice
    • Paella
    • Rice porridge
    • Risotto
    • Fried rice
    • and many many more.

tileb and Bad Storm like this.
  10. Munimuyi

Munimuyi Chili <33

Reading List:
    Link
    I eat it everyday ~ from breakfast to dinner I'm not sure if I can go without rice

tileb likes this.
  11. Starfox Stellar

Starfox Stellar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    More like porridge, but rice in hot milk with sugar and cinnamon is the best.

12. dajihye

dajihye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    eating without rice makes me feel so empty so no

13. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess I can live without rice. I just wouldn't like to cut it off completely from my meals since it's part of my upbringing.
    Some months ago, in order to lose weight, I took off starchy carbs from my evening meal. Nowadays to maintain a balanced intake of calories/nutrients, I eat mainly brown rice and I measure my portions (100-150g per meal since I'm a small person).

As an Asian descendant, I grew up with the electric rice cooker always steaming on the side of the dinner table. Since I was born in South America, rice and beans are basically a staple (with a side of vegetables and protein) but it would usually be long grain. Pasta is also a very popular option because the country had a large influx of Italian immigrants too. A similar bread to Pandesal was brought by the Portuguese and some enslaved Africans also had rice/sorghum as a staple. Cassava, corn and potato are also consumed in several ways. I think I never lacked variety at eating different kinds of cereal grains and starchy vegetables as a base for meals. One of the perks of growing up in a big city with a lot of different cultures (and growing up in a sorta foodie family).

But white polished Japanese short-grain rice has a special place in my food memories. :blobmelt:

14. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    depends where you live and what type of rice. In west coastal cities, you'll see all kinds of rice. The other day I went to a Korean supermarket in downtown Los Angeles and they were even selling jasmine rice, even though Koreans mostly love to eat the sticky rice like the Japanese. If you lived in the middle of nowhere, maybe you might not be able to buy rice at all though. I think a common feature of a lot of Western nations' big cities is they have genuine food from everywhere. After all, as much as you might love your home country's foods, it's always nice to have variety for when you get a craving for something else.

In response to OP, I can live without rice but I do like rice a lot to the point where I can eat plain rice for meals and still really enjoy it (white sticky rice). I would miss it.

Bad Storm likes this.
  15. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Im sick of it

16. amaliajun

amaliajun [Gloomy White Cat]

Reading List:
    Link
    I can live without rice. But rice always have big part in my heart.
    When I was in dorm my breakfast usually just plain bread and some milk. Eating out with friends for lunch, which include rice because most restaurant have that as their main menu. Dinner sometimes I skipped it but I usually cook my own rice or just a simple instant noodle when too lazy too wait rice. When I didn't have money, I could just eat rice with some seasonings.

Because it's about rice, let me tell you a fun fact. My mother is a chairman of a rice distribution company. So, I often found samples of rice in my mother's car. Maybe I've tasted various kinds of white rice without knowing at home.

17. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm super flexible. I like most forms of carbs from breads,rice, noodles, spaghetti, flatbreads, etc. I've gone months at a time without eating rice although I usually have it a couple times a week now.

Also ilI want to eat fried chicken now:blobdrool:

18. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Strangely enough, my brother brought home a fried chicken after he went out to get himself tested (he was negative but gonna isolate coz two of his officemates weren't and they shared a car last friday). Me had a good fried chicken lunch mwahahaha

19. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't eat that much.... So...... I think I can live without eating rice

20. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, what do you think people in West Asia eat? (Middle East, Anatolia, Levant, Iraq, Iran, Arabian Peninsula, Turkey, Cyprus, and many more) bread is a universal staple in there. That makes them usually set apart from other Asia areas that have rice farming culture. Central Asia (countries that have -Stan in their name) though have mixed staple between wheat, rice, and dairy product because of their nomadic past and neighbors' influence.
    Hypothetically speaking can I live without rice? The answer is yes, rice is my preference because I was born in culturally rice farming people, I still eat other things like potato, taro, and sweet potato but not everyday.

Anything can be food and yummy if you know how to prepare them.:cookie:
    [​IMG]

Anything can be food and yummy if you know how to prepare them.:cookie:
    Eggcellent(y)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.