Recommendations Something you feel has must be read at least once

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Mysticant, Jun 3, 2021.

?

Which among these reign supreme to you?

2. Invisible Dragon

3. Lord of the Mysteries

4. The Second Coming of Gluttony

5. The Novel's Extra

6. I Shall Seal The Heavens

7. Legendary Moonlight Sculptor

8. The World Online

9. Cultivation Chat Group

10. Reverend Insanity

11. The Legendary Mechanic

12. All of these are trash/ never read them before

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mysticant

Mysticant Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have read quite a lot of titles already, but I am scared that I might have skipped something really good because I did not like it initially so I would like to request that one (or couple of) novel you feel everyone should read. Chances are I may have already seen it, but no harm asking right? :cool:

If you are asking what genres I like? I generally read everything, though I would prefer to not touch BL if possible.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  2. Kansuou

Kansuou Song of Lone Indifference.

Reading List:
    Link
    There's so many I like here, it very hard to choose.

gheist1234 and Mysticant like this.
  3. Mysticant

Mysticant Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, there is a reason why I chose the options from the very top of all my reading list. They are all also of almost different genres so you can sort of tell who may prefer what genre over the others. Argh, looking at my thread title gives me a brain aneurysm.

4. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuyuneko, Kansuou, Miercing and 3 others like this.
  5. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    The sign that says 'exit only' above my bum.

6. Mysticant

Mysticant Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I have read that, it was really good.

o_O

TaffyGirl13 likes this.
  7. SwordDrake

SwordDrake Slice of Life Lover

Reading List:
    Link
  8. TDDM

TDDM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would honesrly say few things. One if you are bothered by bad grammer inconsistiencies and many minnor problems I don't recomend reading LMS it's gets much better when RT takes over translation but after reading all the chapters translated before you won't know if they translated something wrong or if the authore made some mistakes. But still it was the novel tha mede me start reading novels on the internet and in english in general so I have soft spot for it.And from novels in game world I would say Ark, Overgeared and Devil's Cage (but the last one I started disliking at the very end. Second are cultivation novels I read a lot of them some time ago when they were coming out and I was even supporting ISSTH and Desolet era with small donations to be ahead but i had less time later and i didn't finish either of them but was like 200ch away. From cultivations novels the ones that I would recommend are propably Swallowed Star and Stellar Transformation(mix of sci-fi and cultivation) , World of Cultivation (Big on world building), Renneged immortal and Coiling Dragon (reggular cultivation). Third the korean novels that I read and ithink were preatty good are Crime god, Seul station necromancer, Master Hunter K (but the ending was bit anticlimatic) and one that I can't remmeber the name about a guy who is sociopath and was summoned too another world to help kill i think demon king and they enslaved him or something I remeber it was on ww but they took it for some reason and I dont remember why. From jappanes I would say Death March, musou tensai(or something like that), and re-monster. And from orginals I like Demon's virtue, supreme magus and chrysalis. Ther are many others grate ones but it's like 2.50 am for me and i hate writing on a phone.

Mysticant likes this.
  9. Eternal Emperor

Eternal Emperor SelfAware-PieceOfShit

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Mysticant

Mysticant Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh boy, I deleted my post thinking I double posted. Anyways, long story short I have read everything mentioned. The only thing that is dropped halfway would probably be Devil's Cage. The JP novels of my top pick options are likely dated from up to Baka-Tsuki so most titles will be old like Arifureta, Hidan no Aria, Mushoku Tensei, TateYuusha, SAO etc, that is why i excluded them from the poll. I only chose LMS because LMS was the starter of Korean subclass VRMMO and was really good at the start(even better than both Ark and OG), though it fell off later.

And boy you would think that the opinions would be similar but poll begs to differ.:D

11. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly while ISSTH is enjoyable I wouldn’t say it’s a must read, it has many problems and kinks in its story that prevents its from being a master piece, whether it’s in the depth of action or mystery like Lord of the Mysteries or in sheer comedy like Cultivation Chat Group. I just don’t think it’s at that level Even though it’s very fun to read.

ShanaFY likes this.
  12. Mysticant

Mysticant Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, ISSTH is mainly to fill up the spot on xianxias which I personally believe is a more deserved placing compared to IET novels like Stellar Transformation or CD. I can extend my poll list out, but then the options would be endless by then. I have mentioned this elsewhere but ISSTH is what I call the one of or the actual pioneer of the "Dao of Con", the other aspects of the novel are at most an upper average xianxia. Most of these titles are probably what I personally regard as the pioneers or major players of their specific genres, whilst existing in my top list which is not reserved solely for masterpieces but the most memorable works.

13. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't think of Korean ones must read really. There are some good ones like Second Coming of Gluttony, The Novel's Extra, The Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint, The Trash of the Count's Family, etc but I always get disillusioned with the settings and these aren't must reads.

Japanese. Mushoku Tensei definitely, anything else is debatable.

Chinese actually has more, because in all the bad copycats, you can always find a few novel ideas (novel to reader anyway).

I Have A Proficiency Panel (mtl,it literally only shows him how far he progressed in cultivation realm, spells and martial arts. To get anything more he has to cross the chasms between big realm like every native there and work further on said "cheat" just for an extra utility function).

Sword, Magic and Taxi (mtl). Guy ends up as dimensional Uber part timer and makes use of a customer's request world being Golarion (Pathfinder) to become a Druid (needed a way to cure parents guaranteed to work back home even without gods or avoiding introducing gods to a mundane world ripe for the taking just because his dad is nearing renal failire or something). His other notable world visits are Harry Potter, Stargate, Athas Dark Sun (the dying world setting with mad max society expy and rulers who seek to gather subjects to eventually fuel their own ascension to full Dragon from a specific set of spells ), shaping Arda (yep, working with Maia and Valar on shaping the future Middle Earth), and it might be better to leave all else a surprise.

Illimitable Until Death (for all the shitty harem crap going on and OP ability from the start, it had some cool ideas for what goes on in worlds canon doesn't show or explain, or confirm. Like the loli from Gakusen Toshi Asterisk truly being a 1000 year old immortal Genestellar just creating a new young body with Prana every time an old one gets too old to work anymore, Akame Ga Kill Empire being founded by a tribe with strong attainments in alchemy and the hidden knowledge and materials setup way down below the palace,....)

Seeking the Flying Sword Path, World of Cultivation, Lord Xue Ying. Why all three together? From what I saw and read of tled xianxia, these 3 works take their own spins on the work/enlighten your way to immortality in a classic manner. STFSP directly used the setting of Hongjun, his 7 Sage disciples and their Sects from myths to fill in much to world building at higher levels which doesn't matter because MC comes from one of numerous mortal worlds, its just fun flavor text as 7 Sages eventually leave the world and MC doesn't interact with the few he saw much.

WoC takes the idea of cultivators meddling in times of change (the Yellow Turbans and their mystic leader who knew the fate of the rulers was coming to an end, unfortunately he couldn't bear the misery of the common people and thought the time to change regime when it was in fact too early and not even the immortal legacy he studied was enough to let him preserve his life) and sets it in a original world. There are 3 races with their enormous realms composed of small worlds/realms. Cultivators(humanoid, energy), Yao(spirits, mental), Mo(beast, demon flesh based cultivation).

Its been quite while of peace and the energies and by extension how to cultivate is about to change. Its interesting times, all out war everywhere because everyone has a chance to make a new life if they get ahead and raising armies, training and arming them, claiming land and resources, forming new ways of cultivating from old legacies as sketches is all the rage. Of course, most people are also quite desperate to survive and the little bits of peace are all the more precious to them.

Lord Xue Ying is "xuanhuan", a chinese idea on what cultivation looks like using the elements of western fantasy. Seeing demons, dragons, gods be just cultivators or another force someone who used to be merely mortal human can fight and overcome, even surpass in time was quite a novel thing back when it tled. Most of all, it was written by IET. No harems, much less face slapping and arrogant young masters than is expected (very few in fact and as MC becomes powerful, these are but pests to be squashed in case of being confronted by them using whatdver subordinates MC gained in story). IET is also quite formulaic so rather than a wacky thing like Long Live Summons, LXY is like directly transcribing a xianxia to sword and sorcery with the same core motive of chasing immortality by training really hard at it.

Lastly, an "infinity" genre novel. It can be Terror Infinity, The Ultimate Evolution, The Devil's Cage,..... any of them tled you can find. Imagine if the lame fics like waifu catalogues or Jumpchains etc had MC who actually had to survive and work for their points and exchange lists.

No point stacking loopholes, you can work hard and smart but an exploit is either limited or punished severely, the experience is as shitty for the chara as entertaining it is for the reader (that is to say, we actually get a character with personality and whose means of fulfilling their goals are fitting).

There are spins that shake the canon MC relies on due to their lacking power or skills. Sometimes the charas don't know canon, or had critical info blocked while in said world (imagine meeting Tia Dalma and neither knowing nor finding it weird you don't know all of a sudden that this is a sealed sea goddess), or the world isn't strictly in accordance to canon but has bits changed up (be it from character changes like previous entries changing plot and natives or the world itself being set idfferently like Eragon being a D&D style world ), or your mission directly fucks up canon (kill so and so chara, change this event, you are set in this Resident Evil team that died, get out alive somehow and rescuing others is worth bonus points,.....).

As much as I can disagree with some of the ideas laid out in such works, they are wastly more preferable to, listed through a short magazine, clicked god powers for annoying name drawback and living a SJW wet dream in DXD while bashing Issei for 10 years. Why is it strictly 10 years, why not PVP mode with OCs who also want to finish a chain, why not make it no cheesing points and get buying powers after a world instead of before,.....?

Its so rigid and boring man. Mix it up! Unfortunately, few are freestyling that kind of thing.

CrypticDota and Mysticant like this.
  14. Mysticant

Mysticant Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean the issue with KR novels is that their baselines are pretty high to me, so anything superior or top quality may not feel like it is anything really special anyway. There are much variety of interesting ideas from Dungeon Hunter, Reincarnator, Overlord and Dungeon Defense to toika novels.

I actually tried Lord XueYing, and finished WoC. But I have some qualms about how things went which pushed them off my list. I will try Seeking the Flying Sword Path though. I mean I am a big fan of RMJI but I did not want too many options in the poll so I excluded it.

I am a big fan of infinity novels and I have read all of them except for devil's cage which I stopped somewhere and have yet to resume and is now on my active reading list.

I will take all your other recommendations to consideration since they seem interesting as well. Much thanks for that. :D

15. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have read almost all of them and chose the last option ... even though I did finish ISSH, but I never even read Legendary Mechanic. Now LMS I dropped not only when it started to go from one site to another but when the translator also started to write in a way where you had to translate with an Urban dictionary and a questionable guess or 20. The rest I dropped for a ton of reasons, but the most common reasons would either be it got boring/ repetitive, swapped translators/ sites, was on a crap site (paywalls usually but if it was on one of those sites that made it hard to read IE bad connections between chapters or virus loaded ads), or went from readable quality to making you go ????? (again LMS is a good example here lol)

16. IRandomGuy

IRandomGuy ohhh, custom title...

Reading List:
    Link
    I like to keep 2 list:
    1) basically the list above
    It's a fresh, fictional world, where anything can happen, each slightly unique in it own ways. Some place I can just sink in and just immerse myself.
    2) Invisible Dragon , Three Days of Happiness , About the Reckless Girl Who Kept Challenging a Reborn Man Like Me ,...
    While obviously fiction, unlike from 1st list, these seem to speak to me, make me ponder my life decision, my goal. Maybe I might never be able to be what want I dreamed to be. Maybe I should change my phone number, stop hoping for a call that might never come. Maybe I should start anew. Because sometime, it's fine to make mistakes, to be lost, to be hurt. What important is to learn from it, not deny, but acknowledge that it happen. To start anew, turning a new page, once I'm sure that page is Not from Invisible Dragon .

Miercing and Mysticant like this.
  17. Mysticant

Mysticant Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a soft spot for 2) and yeah I finished all of them. I also liked short stories like Manuscript Screening Boy and Manuscript Submitting Girl and My Hero . I have read of most things translated by yoraikun as well.

I mean I generally read all of these to completion at the expense of MTL and personally LMS is not the BEST thing out there. It is just amazing for what it brought to the table in my opinion. A cynical dysfunctional MC and FMC and their awkward journey along with their brain dead friends and pets...is what I can summarize it as. The target audience is probably teenage readers since anyone who inserts logic to such novels will get a headache. Maybe I should reconsider my priorities if most novels I rate highly are all involving scamming...

18. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That makes more sense thanks for clarifying.

19. Miercing

Miercing deep crimson shall descend from heaven

Reading List:
    Link
    The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich. if you can ignore the author habit, it's a story with epic plot, scheme, many arcs gives me goosebumps.
    ((About the author's habit: don't worry, it will be less as the story goes)

Mysticant likes this.
  20. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Legendary Moonlit Sculptor is definitely a must read. It brought a lot of variety to the table and it felt like it opened up the door for many later novels to let their MCs have actual flaws. For example, Overgeared obviously draws inspiration from LMS (though unlike Weed, Grid is incompetent for the first 50 chapters as he grows his character).

King's Avatar is not worth reading, The World Online was great for the first 100 or so chapters, but couldn't sustain itself.

Invisible Dragon is horrible to the extent that it's funny, while The Legendary Mechanic goes from mediocre to garbage once they leave the first world.

The Novel's Extra, Cultivation Chat Group, and Second Coming of Gluttony all deserve the good old college try. I lost interest in them later on, but I might come back to them someday.

I Shall Steal the Heavens... has it's good moments. My favorite part didn't even last that long, which was when Meng Hao disguised himself and joined the alchemist sect.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me, I think Douluo Dalu is a must read.
    But, Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? is also great!

Mysticant likes this.