Google and Vocabulary.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by otaku31, Jun 4, 2021.

1. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You'd think Google and online dictionaries have made it all too easy to look up the meanings of words. And you'd be right. Came across a new term while reading? Want to double check the meaning of a word before including it in your post? All just a quick Google search away. Who uses those heavy, cumbersome, inefficient physical dictionaries nowadays, anyway?

But I remember, as a kid whenever I came upon a word I couldn't make sense of, I would immediately leaf through the dictionary. My well-thumbed copy of Oxford used to be a cherished companion, always ready to supply me with knowledge. And what's more, while riffling through its pages in search of elusive meanings, other interesting words would catch my eye and I would stop to look at them too... what a fun vocabulary-building exercise it was! I learnt far more that I intended to. And I have the sneaking suspicion I remembered longer what I learnt then simply because I put more effort into looking them up.

But that doesn't happen with online dictionaries; there is no searching, and hardly any effort involved, and you rarely come away learning more than you had planned to...

Just my two cents on the evolution of dictionary. See ya! :sushi_bye:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  2. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, that's diligent of you :blobpeek: I remember when I was a kid, I would just ask my mom for the meaning of new words :aww: Cause my mom knows everything!

TamaSaga and otaku31 like this.
  3. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    I’d tell kids at school it was a bad word and they’d say it at their siblings during fights thinking they swore at them but they’d get told the meaning and called idiots and they’d tell me off about it later and I’d find the meaning that way

otaku31 likes this.
  4. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea but when urban dictionary came around i spent time going down rabbit holes... most of the time forgetting the inital purpose of finding out the definition of a word.

Raven Evernight and otaku31 like this.
  5. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpeek::blobpeek::blobpeek: never used a dictionary like that.....

otaku31 likes this.
  6. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone:

My dad uses dictionaries as things to prop up the computer monitor:blobwhistle:

Raven Evernight likes this.
  7. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful: your dad is really foolish!! Dictionary are best suited to kill cockroaches tho beware you probably won't be able to muster the willingness to ever hold that dictionary

Raven Evernight likes this.
  8. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    0.o we don't have cockroaches

9. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    I still have my prized Oxford dictionary! It used to be my dad's and passed down to me. I almost never open it now though. I think it has been years already. I can see it on my bookshelf from where I'm sitting.

otaku31 likes this.
  10. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same here. My frayed Oxford still continues to grace my bookshelf back home, with the Webster giving it company. Ironically enough, the Webster still looks new and shiny because I used to be very partial to its British brethren. :blobsalt:

Raven Evernight and SylviaViolet like this.
  11. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    People can’t resist the British charm trust me I’m British I know

otaku31 likes this.
  12. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really prefer using the tangible dictionary since most terms I have a hard time understanding are usually slang which uhh isn't usually in your traditional dictionary as someone who isn't an English speaking native dictionaries are helpful and shit though I would honestly not prefer it since idk I feel like I'm doing more work searching through pages rather than typing in my gadget. One thing I've also found out was that I had a more diverse vocabulary compared to other English speakers too even though they've pretty much lived their whole life just speaking English and I just find that kinna questionable so most times I end up explaining what I meant to that someone and usually don't find the need to use a dictionary unless I'm reading.

otaku31 likes this.
  13. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember when I was a kid that there was an academic competition dedicated to finding words in a dictionary... It was as stupid as it sounds :blobexpressionless:

otaku31 likes this.
  14. Ruyue

Ruyue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IMO the dictionary app on apple is my go to thesaurus.

otaku31 likes this.
  15. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I like this. Dictionary doesn't have the update on text/slangs and it may be harder to find one in a different language looking for.
    Google is great. Helps me to even correct my present/past tense problem when I write on GoogleDocs lol. I don't even need a dictionary app to be honest, unless its for a different language/dialect than english.

otaku31 likes this.
  16. 01

01 [REDACTED]

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate thick dictionary. One time my sister slapped me using that kind of thick dictionary because I circled a lot of "naughty" word in her dictionary.