Question 2 groups translating the same novel

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Weslley, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Weslley

Weslley Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I have Reincarnated as a Dragon's Egg on my reading list and this group called Cheldra’s Translations has been translating the series very consistently since chapter 219. With 332 been released just yesterday.

Sundenly, today, I get notified of 30 new chapters. Once I checked, it turned out to be from a different group who started translating the series some time ago, but never posted on Novel Updates. But decided to do it now.

I don't know if the translators reach an agreement. And I'm not here to pick sides ( though I will say I prefer Choldra's version ). What I want to know is what happens on those circunstances.

Do we have 2 groups releasing the same chapters for the same series? It seems kinda messy. Do the admins on NU take a hands off approach to those types of things? I'm just curious.

2. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    hope they could work together,

3. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    There are times where there are more than one translator releasing the chapters. Sometimes it could be because one translator saw that it hasn’t been uploaded for a long time and is picking it up, but the other translator returns and releases the chapters too. It could be because that translator maybe didn’t know or they did leave a note saying that they are going to put the novel on hold for the time being for reasons.

4. Vi2

Vi2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a reader, I like having more options and to see how different people translated the same thing, since I might get insight from one that I wouldn't from another, but I don't know how a translator would feel about it. I've seen other novels where multiple groups have translations up for the same novel so I think NU allows it. If you think it's messy you can filter the releases by group so you only have to see your preferred one.

5. mejojo

mejojo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a reader, I see no issues with having more than 1 group translating the novel. It's interesting to see more than 1 interpretation of the same text

6. Weslley

Weslley Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn't know the filter option existed. And it even gets reflected in the reading list. Very interesting feature. Thanks for the tip.

Looks like it doesn't happen often, but is not uncommon enough for people to find it strange. And overall is well accepted. At least that is what I'm gathering. Thanks a lot for the insight everyone.

Vi2 likes this.