Question Is machine translation an acquired taste?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Grimba, May 27, 2021.

?

Can you get used to machine translation?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    62.2%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    37.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's just bad grammar, you can get used to that, yes. But with MTL, it's often not about grammar at all. The words are just all wrong, the sentences just make no sense. The only way to read it, realistically, is to rewrite the story in your head as you go, with your best guess at what was actually going on. Some people might not mind doing that, but, honestly, I don't think I want to "get used to it."

I want to *read* a story, not write it myself.

2. saribyu

saribyu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For the life of me, I can not read MTL. Each time I read MTL, I am stuck with words that don't make sense and sentence structure that is off. Although my brain tried to correct it and rearrange the words, the next sentence did not help me at all. Honestly, I was more focused on correcting the grammar than actually trying to understand what was happening. In the end, I just gave up hope and prayed for more updated translations :cry:

3. eryafii

eryafii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was overjoyed the first time I discovered it only to be defeated.

I haven't finished a novel on MTL. It just reduces the satisfaction of discovering what happens next.

I've read a few chapters of the better MTLed novels but... I feel dumber as I read. I'm afraid to infect my grammar which isn't the best in the first place.

It really made me appreciate translators on a whole new level. I tried to edit an MTL just to read it better but... it's so much effort and I ended up not enjoying anything...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.