Expectations & Predictability: How They Affect Reading Experience.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by otaku31, Jun 5, 2021.

1. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Expect this to be very confusing. If at any point you feel I'm not making sense, it's because I'm not making sense.

I'm pretty sure most of you go into a story with some expectations of how it will turn out. Expectations may be based on ratings, reviews, word of mouth, genre, tags, knowledge of the author, title, past expectations (and betrayals thereof) and whatnot. They can be high, low or middling; it's these degrees that often shape our perception of enjoyment. Low expectations might make a barely passable series appear enjoyable whereas heavy expectations might ruin a story that seems decently good— in hindsight.

Expectations also encompass what we expect from a genre or author. One reading a romcom, comedy or fairytale obviously expects, or better yet, demands, a happy ending just as the one reading a tragedy expects a tragic end. Same goes for the authors. One of the reasons I like(d) IET novels is precisely because I expect his novels won't include a harem for the protagonist. But these expectations might not always be might, and that might not necessarily be a bad thing.

Two of my favorite manga betrayed my expectations and, if you ask me, were the better for it.
    "Past Life Returner" seemed like any other KR dungeon webtoon where the protag regresses to infancy. But instead of focusing on becoming stronger through training, he delves into the financial market, taking it as a cornerstone for his counteroffensive in the upcoming apocalypse. And you could tell the author was well-versed in stocks and trading. Many readers were disappointed by this development, but I was excited because rags to riches and business management are what I love to read. For me, it's so much better than the tired dungeon action fantasy.
    The other such example would be Giri Giri Saegiru Katagiri-san. I didn't hold much expectations when I started; I could tell it was going to be one those ecchi romcom harems with an irredeemably pervy protag. What I got was mystery, horror, an intriguing plot, character development and loads of laughter (and a rushed ending, but I don't like to talk about it).

So yes, sometimes I would like my expectations betrayed but in a good way (if the author has the skill to pull it off, and not just for the sake of being different), preferably if the twist is still in the realm of the believable and if the direction it takes is towards something more appealing. Ofc, disappointed expectations might not sit well with certain readers...

Now let's talk about predictability. I think there might be some overlap between expectations and predictability. I'd say predictability relates to how much readers can guess the story's direction and events. And most stories do tend to be predictable on a certain level because they are often bound by plot conventions. Any veteran, sophisticated reader, esp. one quite familiar with the genre they are reading, can make fairly accurate guesses at what happens next and how it will end. And while it is highly inadvisable for genres like say, mystery and detective fiction, predictability is not inherently bad. But, as with all things, there should be a limit, or the story will lose reader engagement. For example, if the readers, reach a juncture in the narrative where they have strong suspicions that a certain course of action is no longer available to a character, but convention dictates that the character has to go with that very same action, that is the writer's chance to cast off predictability. It is less about being unpredictable and more about exploring and having the courage to take advantage of all the choices logically available in the sense that the reader didn't see that coming (because it goes against ingrained cliches), but it still makes perfect sense.

That said, a somewhat predictable story can be elevated by the writer's skill in storytelling and skill in execution. A superior writer should be capable of elevating the mundane into the sublime. It is, as they say, the journey that matters, not the destination.

I want to round this off nicely, but I'm too tired. You'll have to make do with a :sushi_bye::sushi_bye:.

2. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of this video I've watched about Game of Thrones' ending, why they did it that way, and why everyone hated it. (example of subverting expectations done badly)
    Personally haven't watched that TV show, but I have to admit their ending was really not that good.
    Also reminds me of the Unspoken Plan Guarantee a bit too.

There are a million examples out there of predictable media that goes with the template all the way through, and ends up a bit bland. These follow in the wake of every piece of media that suddenly shoots to extreme popularity, like the many many novels that seem suspiciously like Solo Leveling. Some manage to be different enough to be interesting, but most kind of end up being nothing noteworthy.

otaku31 likes this.
  3. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    *nodnod* Most of us have certain expectations and assumptions before starting a story due to circumstances outside the author's control (like conventions and reviews), but plot twists and subversions are acceptable (and sometimes, even encouraged) as long as the author does not lie to the readers.

Withholding information or sprinkling red herrings is one thing, but saying something then doing the opposite is another.

otaku31 likes this.
  4. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    These "lies" can actually be an interesting plot point in subverting predictability, perhaps in the form of unreliable narrator. Of course, a poorly executed one would turn out to be something akin to plot holes, but those that are done well can be brilliant.

aShinyVaporeon, Snowbun and iampsyx like this.
  5. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, by lie, I was referring to something given by the author/info outside the characters (ie tagging the story as "light-hearted" or "happy ending" and then killing off everybody, or breaking established worldbuilding rules)

6. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    One little nitpick I have here is just that low expectations doesn't necessarily mean that you have a low bar for a story and might have a easier time enjoying it, even if that is true part of the time.
    For me at least part of the time if I have low expectations for a story that can also mean that I might be going into the story with a mood that prevents me from even trying to enjoy it, and might mean I would be better off just leaving the story alone at least until my mood for it changes.
    Although I guess you could call that being a tier even below low expectations. lol

As for predictability, I generally think of it as being a good thing if it is predictable because of it being the logical conclusion of what has happened in the story itself and bad if it is predictable simply because it is what you expect after having read other similar stories, although there are exceptions to both of those as well as overlap.

otaku31 and Fulminata like this.
  7. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree... Traffords trading club a novel I started reading with great expectations ruined my mood.... I thought it'll be.... Well different from how the novel is....:blobexpressionless::blobexpressionless:
    And the protagonists action are too much unpredictable and annoying af:blobconfused::blobconfused:....well at least it felt like that to me.:blobowoevil::blobowoevil:..
    But I agree with the things you've said(y)(y)(y)

otaku31 likes this.
  8. 911

911 [Officer][Official Police][Tag me when needed]

Reading List:
    Link
    Story build expectations, and how they handle it makes or breaks it

otaku31 likes this.
  9. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love it when a writer understands expectation well enough to play with his audience. This usually comes in two forms. The first form is building up a story over the course of the book and then turns that built up expectation on the reader; this is the classic plot twist. I do like this a fair bit but I like the other variety a lot more.

This other variety of course is the good old dramatic irony. This often manifests in the way that information is presented to the reader, and how this information differs from the characters in the story. The most common use of this on NU is seen in isekai and other similar stories where the reader knows that the protagonist has all sorts of hidden powers but no one else does. it creates that delicious mix of "Aha! i know more than you do, and I know how this will play out!" and the way it plays out when other characters discover the truth.

But what I especially like is how this knowledge works in social situations. When done well these scenes can have every character (and the reader!) interpret the conversation differently. At its best, this is one of the greatest joys to be had while reading fiction.