Discussion double standards (?kinda)

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by nonsensical, Jun 3, 2021.

1. nonsensical

nonsensical Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so, just my observation i guess but hear me out:
    why do readers complain about fls that are "stupid" when it's just her having a bit of flaws BUT mls that are literally criminals/war criminals don't get any shit?

i mean don't get me wrong i live for those villian/yandere mls but the women gets shit on no matter what she does. it is obviously fine when it's valid criticism.

2. UndyingSLIME10295

UndyingSLIME10295 [•Figment of your Imagination•]

Reading List:
    Link
    Waht are we talking about here???*confused*

3. sweed

sweed l.o.v.e.m.u.f.f.i.n.

Reading List:
    Link
    help! *confusion spreads*

4. nonsensical

Reading List:
    Link
    just an observation when i see reviews of manga/webtoons and me ranting lol

about reviews and comments of mangas/webtoons

5. camelCase

camelCase Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    readers complain about stupid male MCs all the time. equally, readers appreciate anti-heroic / chaotic neutral female characters all the time. I don't see a discrepancy.

otaku31 likes this.
  6. nonsensical

Reading List:
    Link
    well maybe it's just me then lol

7. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it'd probably be conducive to conversation if you just listed a few stories that made you feel this way ;p

8. nonsensical

Reading List:
    Link
    well, one of them is survive as the hero's wife. fl was criticised for being "too focused on the story plot" and stupid for not realising that she had changed the plot (some reasons were valid) but no one (at least from my pov i could be wrong) told the ml off for not communicating and being quick to jump to conclusions.

i've seen this multiple times in webtoons at least. although like i said i could be wrong or just overthink stuff

9. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh so you mean reviewers and commenters being annoyed at dense female MCs. I don't know about webtoons (I jumped off the manga/manhua/webtoon/etc train a long time ago), but I've read a lot of novels where I see people like that in the comments/reviews.

nonsensical likes this.
  10. Bellilelly

Bellilelly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe because we’re reading from the fls perspective more and we know what and what isn’t going through her mind hence we are more critical because we have more info and is able to do more “in depth analysis” on her since it’s majorly her POV that’s why we tend to hyper focus on the narrator more.

tho yes the ml could also be at fault too but we also don’t know what’s going through his mind except us yelling at him to open up but what if he has some type of trauma or maybe he had low eq and doesn’t really understand other’s feelings easily as compared to normal people.
    Now if the fl is supposed to be like “more modern person” compared to that emotionless killing machine ml who’s characteristic was already listed as low eq and hard to understand emotion then it makes sense people would criticized the fl or narrator more since they’re supposed to be more “normal” and have a better yk head on their shoulder when it comes to analyzing the situation esp if they came from “modern” society where we put even more of expectation on them because that’s one connection we have toward the fl/or any modern transmigrated person.

some romance story are meant as a fantasy and source of relief and break from the real world for most people and people tend to look for a connection or understandability w the characters in the story else where would we get our sense of satisfaction. Ofc that’s not all story I also enjoy enti-hero because again it’s a fantasy that we might not be able to do in real life hence looking for more thrilling “unconventional” route and life choices the anti-hero makes.

Readers def have double standards esp toward who is our narrator our bias(?) bc we are able to see their train of thoughts. If the character is supposed to be “smart” or smth yet her train of thought have obvious loophole or she’s especially dense, even denser than Athy’s cousin that brown hair blue hair in WMMAP, then yes we’re gonna have a problem w this character development/writing on top of the draggy plot passing because the author is using her “denseness” to stretch the plot and story.... sighsss

One very double standard of me and many reader I notice in this BL webtoon
    our main character is actually a scum while the ml is more of the puppy like (us crying out of heartbreak for him multiple times) bc MC is such trash. Everyone hated the MC(the narrator) and wished the ml to find someone that would fit him better but as we see the gradual yet realistic change in MC character development along w the fact that through his thought process readers are clearly able to see how MC is feeling and what exactly is going on his mind (altho the MC didn’t admit it in the beginning but readers can tell he’s obv looking for an excuse for himself to continue to find ml in the beginning) on top of the fact ml still being involved w MC even tho mc made a (weak) resolve to try to let ml go and forget about him after ml found out what MC had done to him. Readers are happy that MC is getting his karma because karma a btch but at the same time just hope those two can stop hurting each other like this when obv they care about each other. You maybe ask y they don’t confessed to each other, because it’s very realistic in a sense that “who is ml to ask the high and mighty heir of a huge company out” meanwhile ever since the beginning readers knows how high MC ego was (for ex him finding excuse/tricking him just to find ml in the beginning) and there’s just no way he could be straightforward and show his real emotion since that’s how he’s raised to think money can solve everything and also he should never back up/lower his head for anyone etc (as expect a scum guardian produce scum successor) MC in stead shows his affection through his action and interaction

11. sweed

sweed l.o.v.e.m.u.f.f.i.n.

Reading List:
    Link
    Good thing I don't read comments nor reviews. You shouldn't as well.:blob_zipper_mouth:

12. tonyolexia

tonyolexia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah same, reading comments often ruin my enjoyment with webtoons -_-

nonsensical and sweed like this.