Recommendations Medieval Fantasy with War or Politics (preferably both)

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Pirating_Ninja, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Pirating_Ninja

Pirating_Ninja Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Essentially I am looking for a Kingdom Building / Army Building type series in a medieval or medieval+fantasy style setting (I don't mind if it is a European or an Asian style setting).

This may sound weird, but I think Oukoku e Tsuzuku Michi (Road to Kingdom) is a good example of what I am looking for, minus the sex, for several reasons:
    1. Looking for a series with a developed societal hierarchy (i.e., aristocracy/nobility).
    2. Fantasy elements are a plus.
    3. MC not so strong that the concept of "war" or "armies" is meaningless (I've seen a few wuxia given the war tag in which you have a single individual just face roll an army of millions in a single paragraph, and that = war). Perfectly fine if MC isn't strong at all.
    4. Any type of territory, country, kingdom, etc. type of development is a plus (can go more into detail, or less, don't mind either)
    5. Preferably NO game elements (I don't mind them, just warn me if they are there - My thoughts are generally that they don't 'add' anything to the novel other than word count. Basic RPG concepts are not novel and don't deserve chapters explaining them. It typically detracts from the series)
    6. Multiple countries with wars/battles on a 'large enough' scale (seen a few isekai manga or novels in which "wars" were battles between "feudal lords" with a couple of dozen people which may have 1-2 casualties... Not really looking for that)
    7. Stays in the medieval genre (Mainly concerned about sticking with swords, spears, bows, etc.) - I don't mind if 'hot weapons' (i.e. guns, cannons, etc.) are introduced, but this typically occurs in isekai where the MC is somehow knowledgable on a billion different fields and his/her forces just end up face rolling everything (it's jarring and not too different from wars in wuxia novels)
    8. Preferably MC is a native of the world (I don't mind isekai if done well, but series where the MC spends every other thought thinking how different this word is than their world is bleh)

Road to Kingdom kind of has the majority of what I'm looking for, but don't mind a series that has some of the elements I talked about not wanting, for example:
    • I am the Monarch (This one may have the issue of MC being 'to op to the point war is meaningless')
    • Release that Witch (Issue with the Technology just instantly ramping up, not too big of an issue since the "enemies" ramp up with it though)
    • Summoning the Holy Sword (MC becoming to OP in later chapters, but still not too bad. The biggest issue would be the "game elements", the novel would have been a lot better if the author cut out each time MC thought "that's different than the game" followed by a 5 paragraph tangent on how the imaginary world is different than the imaginary game...)
    • The Human Emperor (MC / Others start becoming too op towards latter chapters that I have read, but don't mind it)

City of Sin would be another good example that kind of checks all (or most of) the boxes without any complaints.

Lyndiz likes this.
  2. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    Mediterranean Hegemon of Ancient Greece, but the setting is during Classical Era, not Medieval

Pirating_Ninja likes this.
  3. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  4. Lyndiz

Lyndiz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. X18999

X18999 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Plague120

Plague120 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dragonborn saga the mc is a warlord that decides to buy the world instead of conquer it buy starting a business. There is still wars and bloody battles.

7. Lorus

Lorus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Game of the Monarch
    Currently Being translated, has what you are looking for, war and politics, has game element, not a broken one from the look of it, it just allows him to see others character information like talents and loyalty and his own city status, like the population and what not.

SpHyNx and Pirating_Ninja like this.
  8. PeepoMrFool

PeepoMrFool Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kingdom's Bloodline
    Nejimaki Seirei Senki – Tenkyou no Alderamin
    Sevens

9. Bord2Beth

Bord2Beth Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  10. reader of evolution

reader of evolution Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Starting from today I’ll work as a city lord is a pretty decent town building manwa where mc ends up going to war with some other countries and deals with making alliances and stuff