Is Nigeria really banning Twitter cause Twitter deleted the presidents tweet?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Raven Evernight, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    That seems super petty and dramatic as hell for just deleting a tweet what was the tweet even about for the president of Nigeria to be so angry about it does anyone know?

2. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    It could be this, but it might not.
    [​IMG]
    The rest of the article is in some form of pidgin, which I can only read semi-legibly.

3. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think india was also planning on banning Twitter? Idk if they actually did but this all seems so funny lol whole countries banning Twitter

4. Raven Evernight

Reading List:
    Link
    They banned tiktok

5. Wildly_Laughing

Wildly_Laughing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard it on CNN so there's a huge chance that this will go through, if nothing else happens to stop it or change his mind. I think it's a pretty drastic decision, but then I remember that Twitter never deleted any of Trump's tweets, no matter how scandalous, divisive, or ridiculous they were, at least before the end of his presidential reign and before the January 6 Capital Riots. Sounds like double standards to me, and Nigeria's president may be reacting to those double standards, which sounds more reasonable.

Also, I'm not sure what Tweet was deleted and what the content was. If it was something with a good message, maybe he had cause to be angry?

6. Raven Evernight

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard one of the reasons he wants to ban it is so the Nigerian people can bring attention towards how they are being treated terribly by their government

7. RosyCloud

RosyCloud Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    China, Iran, North Korea, and Turkmenistan also banned Twitter.

8. unlucky

unlucky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    according to this New York Times article it was a tweet 'President Muhammadu Buhari that threatened secessionist groups in the southeast who had been responsible for attacks on government offices.' https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/05/world/africa/nigeria-twitter-president.html
    So it looks like he was acting tough on twitter against what he sees as a terrorist group and twitter deleted his tweet.
    and generally speaking I don't see the big deal? you can live without twitter and since the cause of the issue is deletion of shit you can't even base your defense of twitter on a free speech argument since they actively delete shit people say.

9. Mantrazz

Mantrazz The Lord Upgrade D Biggest Baddest Spammer Around

Reading List:
    Link
    Send it I'll translate, I've been looking for the whole thread

I can accurately tell you that his whole administration is full of pettiest most childish and ignorant set of humans you can ever meet, I will say confidently that flat earthers have more IQ than the whole lot of them combined.

Well the president is a Trump like person with the support of both the military and enough popular support to do a lot of the crazy things he stumbles upon.

10. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, this is news to me. But some countries are like that, they don't have qualms with censorship, I suppose. As soon as a website looks like it's against what they think is right, it's the ban hammer's time to shine. Nigeria just seems to be joining a list of other countries that ban certain websites.

Twitter's showing a bit of political bias nowadays, even if it doesn't want you to think it does. Still, even if Twitter banned the most positive tweet in the world, I don't think it'd deserve to be banned. From what I can tell, the tweet was a political one.

Yes, I can base my defense of Twitter on a free speech argument. The general issue is that, even if Twitter is against free speech, it's also against free speech to censor it. It's wrong for them to delete tweets like that, but it's equally wrong for someone to ban them, because the fact that they violated free speech doesn't justify your own violation of free speech by banning them.

Mr. Tired likes this.
  11. unlucky

unlucky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't necessarily disagree with you, if Twitter supported free speech their banning would be a bad thing as it would indicate that the government of the country banning it doesn't want the people to be able to see other views on events beside what the government wants them to see.
    but arguing for a censorious twitter is just switching who gets to control the narrative, I don't fault a government for deciding to ban a company that wants to have that kind of influence and has proven themselves to be against free speech themselves.

12. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *yawns* ... Yeah... no. C'mon, guys. We've been over this before. No politics on the forums. If you *must*, go discuss it on a profile or something. You can't make threads for this stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.