How do you feel about the nationalism in a lot of Webnovel’s/CN novels?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Greenmachine835, Jun 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greenmachine835

Greenmachine835 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just curious if it’s only me that gets irked when I am reading a potentially good novel and then it just starts shoving the nationalism(pro china) down my throat. For example: Legendary Mechanic-it has excellent plot, good grammar, good romance, fights but damn the players from China ruined it. They nearly win everything and they are hypocritical AF too(like when they betrayed there allies and bragged about how they are humble and denounced others for doing the same.) Another example was Human Emperor-basically every national around them was described in a evil racist way and the ultimate enemy as you guessed it was the West. Another story that comes to mind is Monster Factory-mc always has to beat western products, etc. There are so many more I have read over the years like that, but those are just the ones that come to mind off the top of my head.

I guess I was wondering if this was frustrating for anyone else or just turned you away from a good novel?

2. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the amount. While I don't think MCs should be killing off everyone that's not from their country, I think being proud of their country and wanting it to be the best is perfectly acceptable and even normal.

Plus like, if in this example, MC's goal is beating everyone's products, including the Chinese competitors', so they can have the best products, I think it's perfectly fine.

If they have like, the monopoly on that product in China, then LOL they are probably not gonna be trying to beat their own products :blobcheeky:

aShinyVaporeon likes this.
  3. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if it was just nationalism (taking pride in their own country), I wouldn't mind, but they always push it towards xenophobia and use crude caricatures instead of fleshed out characters for people of nations they want to denigrate. It makes me sick. The later Rocky movies are cringe because of similar reasons, but most don't take it to the extreme these Chinese webnovels do.

4. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Totally. So many good novels have made me drop them because of it

5. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really mind legendary mechanic though. The nationalism isn't too much. They nearly win everything only because of MC though, and the foreigners aren't portrayed too negatively. As for the hypocritical part, i am not sure which part you meant cause i don't think i have read such scene in the novel.

As for the nationalism that goes too far (like destroying japan just because, or all foreigners are evil without reason), i usually drop such novel immediately. But i can still tolerate a few of them (Like gourmet food supplier where he decided to charge more for foreigners).

6. ANonMouse

Reading List:
    Link
    yep those are totally within my limits as well. I think we're mostly talking about novels like IRAS.

7. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that I'm a person who takes it rather well in comparison? While I may not applaud being heavily nationalistic, I've never felt the urge to drop a novel solely because of extreme nationalism. Not to say that I don't like my country or like seeing them get insulted, but it just kinda gets ignored a little in my mind.

8. Night Phoenix

Night Phoenix The *Eccentric* Person

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, if you haven't seen "God and Devil World", You haven't seen Nationalism. Legendary Mechanic is nothing, absolutely nothing compared to this.

9. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    haha, i actually managed to read past the nationalistic part of IRAS. Probably because the MC kinda fought against his own government as well, plus the foreigners didn't act that differently from his previous enemies anyway.

10. ANonMouse

Reading List:
    Link
    the douchey K pop star stereotype tripped me up a bit. Then a few more racist scenarios happened and I was out.

11. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been addressed by myself and several others basically there are both sides to the story we hate it but the authors are brainwashed by China, with cultural thing s embedded in their every fibre so instead if blaming China and them which is totally justified , we should just be men and take it the other way . It's our fault for reading those shittyyy novels

12. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Totally fine with it, tbh. I am used to similar stuff in English stories, so doesn't feel too off.

13. sanushilshad

sanushilshad Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I Really Am Not The Lord of Demon.
    Read this one. In this novel the author skillfully creates a parallel world similar to earth by changing the names of countries.
    But even with changing the names of countries the readers can pick up how the author praises China and it's controlling nature and how japan and Korea are begging to join their country..
    In the raw, the author even says how britan (I'm not sure it's britan or not since I read the mtl) is so corrupt that 7 out of 10 officials are corrupt and compared to that how china doesn't have corrupt officials.
    I stopped reading it there...

What's the point of creating an alternate world if you aren't going to change the countries in it.

14. Greenmachine835

Greenmachine835 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn’t mind if it was just positive racism but more often than not it turns quickly into racism as nearly 99% of Chinese novels that have nationalism become.

What English stories?

I read that one too. Only the mc is beyond horny and it becomes quite stupid, plus the story is a bit older so I was using a bit more modern novel if you will.

Fair enough I guess

15. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Btw point to note, AVOID MODERN CN NOVELS. They are usually set in china with Chinese mcs so the authors and Chinese nationalism which for them is the same as racism, they have a field day with a modern setting. Especially the cultivation ones where they are strong enough to blow up a planet like goku. They crap all over the other countries, let's not mention the all Chinese names and culture in the higher realms.

16. LollipoPReapeR

LollipoPReapeR Frequent visitor of the Yellow Springs Resort

Reading List:
    Link
    Most countries have nationalism of some form in their media. But China, goddamn, the nationalism is so fucking toxic. It’s not enough to constantly brag, but the need to constantly denigrate and generally shit on everyone else is just….

But saying this, LM in comparison to others is actually very low key and the nationalism itself isn’t that bad. Human Emperor… Hoooo boyyy. Well everyone is an asshole. The story itself is just…. Ugh. Frankly I think the nationalism/racism aren’t the worst parts of it. It’s just that bad.

vigil and Nightow1 like this.
  17. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, Chinese double standards is ridiculous, in chinese novels its extremely common to see them kill/rape/insult/everything to foreigners like US, japan and korea and if you DARE to even insinuate the same to china?, they will DEMAND you get destroyed. Like Kiryu coco who was kicked out because chinese ccp pressured hololive and youtube and dox her just because she spoke about Taiwan, which IS in FACT a country.
    Another good novel with over 18 volumes was also cancelled, even after it has been over 5 years since its debut because the chinese found that the MC of the novel participated in a war in HIS WORLD, during the same period of WW2 and personally killed over 4000 "enemies of japan" with his katana. Note that the author only referred to "enemies of japan" in his world, but the chinese took it as an insult to the prosperity of china, it could have been any other country and managed to get his novel cancelled JUST because of that...
    Nationalism is fine, but when it comes to china or chinese novels its BS.

18. LollipoPReapeR

LollipoPReapeR Frequent visitor of the Yellow Springs Resort

Reading List:
    Link
    And god forbid, it’s actually set anywhere outside China. Especially if it’s in Japan/America. The sheer ignorance is often mind boggling.

19. GregLikesBooks

GregLikesBooks Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Being proud of your country/culture...perfectly fine...
    But when taken to extremes of trying to vilify or make irrational racist comments/storylines...that is just a major turn off for me.
    It makes the story completely unbelievable.... and completely breaks immersion. (Thus ruining it)

And I also think the same for when it's done in 'western' media as well. But it does seem to be more frequent (or at least I encounter/notice it more frequently) from Chinese novels.

And yes...Taiwan is it's own independent nation.

20. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends. But then again I hate when they just get ahead of themselves and author makes a half-assed effort on what happens among the characters just cause they're either patriotic or nationalistic everything just goes in the way of said country. Though I find it sometimes even endearing when used subtly or in a non obnoxious way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.