Discussion How do you feel about Pride Month?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AliceShiki, Jun 9, 2021.

?

You pride of yourself?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. Not really

18 vote(s)
    51.4%
  3. Dunno? Maybe?

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  4. I'm proud of things I have done

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no idea what the people that coined the term( in this context) meant with it, but you could argue that it could just as well be about being proud about being able to express yourself, rather than just being proud about being LGBTQ.
    In that sense I think it fits pretty well.

As for Pride month or Pride parades in general, I think it is important they exist, but I tend to be a bit sceptical when/if they transition from activism to just being celebratory events.

aShinyVaporeon and AliceShiki like this.
  2. Nefasdetestasti

Nefasdetestasti ❄️Wɪɴᴛᴇʀ's Sᴏɴɢ❄️ ||| [Schrödinger Pantsu]

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess they got the karma they wanted.

A word that's abused a lot which lead to its purest meaning be lost in the abyss.

3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *nod nod* It is a sensible way of looking at it~
    Ooooooooh, I like this point of view a lot! I haven't thought of it from that angle! Thanks for sharing!

Lissi and Nimroth like this.
  4. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I love it. Pride parades are always so much fun. We don't get a lot of public festivities like that in my country anymore so I showed up to those religiously years before I started identifying as LGBT. Then it just got even better. I don't get peoples problem with it. Ok, you don't care about gay people, whatever then? We're just expressing ourselves, we're not hunting you down and tying you to the parade cars to drag you after them, ok. You could just enjoy the party like any other party, or you could just... not. That's ok to.

But, like, it's a free party. A festival with no need to buy a ticket (unless you wanna get into the fenced area, but if you don't like Pride anyway, why would you want to?) There's music, and people who want to make friends with everyone literally everywhere around. Free hugs, stuff, free drinks if you meet the right people. I don't see the drawback. Just have fun or don't have fun. Don't deny us our right to throw ourselves a party once a year, that's not 'shoving it your faces', that just us reaching out to each other and befriending each other because we're easily isolated and need to pull each other into the community. It's a community event, not a war on the cishet. It's got nothing to do with you. We don't care if you go to the parade, we don't care if you see us or not, we don't even care if you give a damn, as long as you let us do our thing and don't get in the way of us existing.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  5. Owl1412

Owl1412 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure if it matters, but I’m ace and I’m not particularly interested in Pride Month. I do have friends who consider themselves part of the LGBTQ+ community though so if I had to choose then I’d probably support it. As for the word “pride” in pride month I think it’s because it’s catchier than LGBTQ+ awareness month. Less syllables, ya know? Also discrimination against anybody not heterosexual used to be way worse. Bullying from your peers, disgust from your family members. Weren’t there also facilities where people tried to “cure” gayness with torture? There’s a reason why suicide rates for LGBTQ teens are higher than the general population

Llamadragon likes this.
  6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    That's pretty valid, being catchy is important for this kind of thing~

7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Pride originated from the Gay Pride parades that were a thing in germany.
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Pride)
    (probably started in reaction to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_riots)
    But nowadays they throw it in everywhere. It's getting kind of distorted with being able to take pride in something that's just preference, but another preference and pride mentioned together and all hell breaks out. Same with the 'black lives matter' and then 'yeah but we didn't say other lives didn't matter' but if you were to say 'white lives matter' you'd get shamed to death.

Imagine putting a sign, 'i hate black and gay people' with a 'p.s. i hate everyone else too' :sweating_profusely:
    I guess it's overcompensation for previously having to live in shame, they wanted to turn it into pride, but what pride is there in whatever set of genitals you prefer. I'd rather have 'common sense pride' or 'common courtesy pride' awareness months.

8. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, and what a lot of people don't get when talking about Pride is that it's some really recent, and often contemporary shit. In my country, we like to pride ourselves at being progressive and whatever (lol) but the truth is that we sterilized trans people as a condition of legally transitioning, and this was in 2013. There's so much gaslighting, enforced government shit like that. Like, it's not over today either. The world is still pretty broken. It's not something our grandparents dealt with but we don't have to remember anymore 'cause it doesn't matter and everyone's perfectly safe where they are. If that was the case we wouldn't need Pride. There's a problem NOW. There's a problem TODAY. LGBTQ+ people have a staggeringly high suicide rate TODAY. That's why we need this. We throw a party once a year because fuck it we need a pick-it-up event for all people contemplating suicide, it's not political, it's not a personal insult to cishets, it's a party thrown by and for a bunch of people who really needs a party once in a while.

9. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    I very much agree with you. Do things need to be changed? Of course. But is there a necessity for pride month? Also yes.

Deleted member 304540 likes this.
  10. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    Alice I am probably not in the position to speak, as I am just a cis straight girl. But I do know the feeling of being outcasted because of sexual preferences. To me pride month, gives me this vibe, rather than feeling "proud" about your sexuality, you just feel "not ashamed" if that makes sense.

Like one of my favourite artists, though he kept it to himself for a long time, and I believe that he didn't owe us any explanation that's totally his life, BUT, that day, when he overcame his fears and came out of his closet as gay to his audience... I guess proud would have been the correct word of how I felt? Because he is not ashamed to be himself anymore and overcame his social anxiety...

So yeah, to me pride month just means celebrating overcoming fear and shame of being a sexual minority rather than just feeling proud.

11. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually feel like you guys need parties more often. Sometimes the way people vent in other circumstances isn't healthy or a good look for the movement. I remember watching a Twitch streamer who advertised as LGBTQ+, and while she was great, most of the chat were shit talking heteros like there was no tomorrow for hours on end. I think people like the latter are why there's such backlash atm against the movement, and if they had a healthier outlet for their emotions, they might not feel the need to so vehemently vent in a way that makes the movement look bad. Not saying I don't understand their frustration and need to vent, but in the new norm of social media, people in general need to stop treating social media outlets like their private backyard, and understand it's more of a public space where anyone can listen and that there are potential social consequences.

12. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    That is perfectly fine. It's when thing get political or bad apples start to harass people for it that things go wrong and as always they are the loudest ones.

13. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Happy corporate pandering month~

14. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s just a great way for companies to make pride merchandise for the brownie points + more money

Nightow1 likes this.
  15. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah and that's the way it's supposed to go, freedom of choice, but that is just you (and most likely a majority of the LGBT community), there are some who WILL drag people they bump into on the streets into one of your parties and if we reject it, we get insulted as homophobic. That isn't homophobia, it's simple caution towards a total stranger. If you claim to want freedom of choice, then in reverse, you cannot deprive others of their freedom to choose either.

And to be fair, it's not usually the moderates, like all communities, even the LGBTQ crowd has extremists and these are the ones that are really nuts. You probably won't do something like that, or I hope you don't, but not everyone is as chill as you. Some are really extreme and these are unfortunately the ones that get remembered.

otaku31 likes this.
  16. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it’s good since it’s promoting awareness and acceptance. But I’m not really involved in it . I hear and know about it but it don’t go to any parade or do anything big for it .

AliceShiki likes this.
  17. justabot

justabot NUF's Cutest Bot Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    Locked on OP's request.

AliceShiki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.