Discussion An interesting story turned trash by a garbage author

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Grand_Rider_Iskandar, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Grand_Rider_Iskandar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This happens way too many times that I would like.

Just recently, I've read this. Basically it's about a guy reincarnated as an assassin with a system that transforms him into animals that he owns. He can also use the said system to upgrade those animals. It costs a ton money though. From the start it is obvious that it's just self-insert wish fulfillment story. But there are other ways to make it interesting.

As a Tierzoo fan, I am actually excited about this. I'm interested on how he'll utilize the animals he have. On how he'll minmax f-tier builds. Or how he'll turn already broken builds so broken that Riot's 200 years seems balanced in comparison. But the author is just an idiot. I get the first mistake. Underestimating to police because he's a noop with OP powers. But hell, why are you worried about escaping without anyone noticing when you can turn into a fly, a crow, and a parrot. You can literally just fly.

Also, why is Webnovel.com translating obvious cn web novels as if they were written by Americans.

There's also a LoL x HS DxD fanfic called The League Summoner. Great idea, horrible execution. It's basically a Naruto-in-name-only has a sacred gear that let's him summon LoL champions like a servant summoning in fate. The fact that this exist will cause a lot of shit storm. Hell, Naruto-in-name-only summoned AS and nobody felt that? HS DxD is garbage compared to AS. Also, I haven't read that far, but I did not see other factions. factions looking for people that can summon champions from DOTA 2, HON, HOTS, and whatever MOBAs exist out there. Or the fact that the the Biblical God even created such thing. Or the supernatural faction not allied with the devils nuking Riot Games. It's basically a stronger Annihilation Maker. Especially with the balance breaker. He can summon the champion from a specific skin. So yeah, he can just summon the star guardians and have Serafall join them or something. They certainly don't want to see another Psyops Sona. Kokabiel won't because he's insane, but what about someone like Cao Cao. That fucktard will do it.

I knew about the balance breaker because I decided to take a sneak peek at the latest chapter to see if I like it but I noped out of it. It didn't caught my interest. Partly because of what I said above and because of my personal bias. Even though I know that this would be the outcome, I've rather see the MC as an actual summoner than that weird mixture of Beastmaster and Udyr. Like when playing a MOBAs, you'll never master all the heroes. So it's better to pick a few that you'll be mastering. He'll never be as good as the actual champions. I'd rather see Sett fight than a guy who only learned how to fight in about a month or so.

It seems interesting, but the author didn't really think it through.

Oh and I call the mc Naruto-in-name-only because he is. The story is listed as a Naruto x HS DxD crossover but infact it is LoL x HS DxD with an OC that happens to share Naruto's looks, name, and parents. Oh, and some of Naruto's personality. Probably. I was expecting some reincarnation shit especially since he has a fuckton of devil energy but nope. I've read to reviews on the latest chapter. They were speculating if the MC's parents are part of the void so there's that.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Deleted member 176237 likes this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *pat pat pat* Sometimes you find good authors, sometimes you find bad authors... Gotta keep searching, ganbatte~

3. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that's true. It's kind of my fault though. Because I intentionally read garbage stories if I'm bored enough for fun. And it just so happen that a good idea was wasted on a subpar author.

4. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This happens all the time. The only reason I read isekai novels is because they keep coming up with interesting ideas. Ideas that, if paired with a good writer, could lead to a really good book. The problem is that isekai authors tend to be terrible and often have no clue what they're doing. This is somewhat unavoidable when it comes to amateur writers, and it's doubly true of isekai novels. As it turns out good ideas aren't worth anything; what's actually important is how these ideas are executed.

Gitami and aintg like this.
  5. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    This is nothing new. You see, CN novels earn money by the word. So pretty much most of the stories on webnovel, the first 50 chapters have some interesting concept that the author came up with. And the next 5000 chapters are just milking. Some of the more popular stories aren't even written by the author anymore but a team he hires to keep releasing 2-5 chapters per day so they can keep up on the ranking boards.

Villager Anonymous and Reack like this.
  6. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    I've always felt (and have actually been discussing with a friend just yesterday) that the Fate series is one with a fantastic setting and structure. Servants, summoners, classes. All are great, except at some point it just turned into waifu/genderswap/loli/shota bait. It's just a great system ruined by it's own execution.

7. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    It's pretty sad but that's just how it is. Just because someone has a good idea, doesn't make them a qualified author. Although it is pretty regretful to see stories that started out promisingly, crumble chapter by chapter.

aintg likes this.
  8. prasantbagale

prasantbagale Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I wrote a post about this problem a few months ago, there are so many novels like that which went bad in the middle or at the last. The authors are making the good story bad because of lack of creativity, writer's block, health issues etc. It's regrettable. but understandable. BUT what makes me angry is that when the story goes bad because of more money.

Here are some of my favorite novels which went bad, sigh
    What Went WRONG With These 5 AWESOME Novels?

aintg and Reack like this.
  9. DustySpiral

DustySpiral Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's also the issue that many of these novels tend to be continually posted one/a few chapter(s) at a time. The author can't go back and heavily revise an arc, or rewrite some foreshadowing that occurred 50 chapters ago to better match what actually happens, etc. Traditional novels are not written and then published in one sitting. Even if there's no executive meddling the author is going to revise things. The jump from WN to LN gives them some rewrite time but how much I do not know. Writing a great novel under those conditions is difficult even if the author is both good & prepared.

Preparation is another issue - some series have good initial arcs then fall to pieces. Does that mean the author is "bad"? Would a crappy author have been able to write that great initial arc in the first place? If the arc was only good conceptually and was kind of meh writing-wise that's one thing, but if it was knocking it out of the park and then imploded that sounds more like the author ran out of careful plans and had to start winging it. This doesn't necessarily mean they didn't have any ideas at all - they could have had a fleshed-out map of the first arc or three and then a much looser idea for the rest of the series. Then they hit the "looser" area and don't have anywhere near as much time to plan it out as they did before they started writing. They may even find that some of the choices they made in the first couple arcs have screwed them over with respect to completing the story. Granted, sometimes there was no larger plan at all. I don't feel lack of creativity or whatever is usually the issue in such downfalls - it's lack of time (to revise, plan out, etc) that's the issue. Assuming, again, that the novel was ever really good in the first place.

A lot of novels are only mediocre in the first place, carried on the back of an "interesting concept" that isn't utilized well and is a disappointment all-around. But some of these turned-to-garbage novels were done by good authors trying to do the writing equivalent of juggling chainsaws while blindfolded. Granted, those tend to still feel like there's potential in the garbage part if it was just heavily revised a few times.

Gitami and aintg like this.
  10. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I get that. I personally know some people who use web novels and fan fictions as tools to polish their writing skills. Hell, I even read fanfics where the author admitted that they didn't have a plan when they wrote is so now the story is on an indefinite hiatus. That's why I turn off my brain most of the time when I read these kind of works. But if turning off my brain didn't made the story better, then the story is just bad.

11. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Too long to read but I will add this :

It is more likely that the author was replaced by a ghostwriter if there is such a drastic change