How do you feel about the nationalism in a lot of Webnovel’s/CN novels?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Greenmachine835, Jun 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i understand your point but my comment is hardly racist not to mention "supremely" like you said, so dont go painting me a color im not, im just stating FACTS, the teen which died in his school did happen, the cover up did happen and there is a poor mother whose child was killed and the culprit just got off by saying, your child died, our condolences and no explanation whatsoever. As for the part where i say that generally the chinese people lack morals? its the truth, because they live in a place where morals are not important and only "FACE" is important, for their leaders, its the same if 100.000 people die or 10Million so long as china "Reputation" is not "tainted", and this again is a FACT. You cant call someone supremely racist because that persons speaks the truth. Though you definitely can say my way of speaking is with anger.

As for the other part of my comment where people walk by an injured person is because in china its common for people to self-harm and then demand compensation for the people who tried to help them, there is even people who jump in front of moving cars to get compensation money out of you (which is why its recommended in china to install a camera in your car) and do NOT forget that its thanks to china or rather the CCP that the world is flooded by the covid 19 virus. And yeah, horrible things happen in mexico and etc etc etc.
    Im just angry of the current situation its thanks to the CCP in China which has brainwashed their people to be almost slaves and be willing to defend a lie, in truth i do pity the chinese normal people who just want to live their lives but are stomped hard by the corrupt. My country is in the same situation where the bad people do whatever they want. Did you know that where i live a criminal can burn,murder,arson,rape,steal,frame and even go to your house, kick you out with violence and take over?. with no consequences if you are communists?
    Guess I'm just venting my anger since the last 2 years have been extremely hard and all thanks to the CCP

2. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The event may be a fact, but Chinese lacking morals is subjective, as is your view of the Chinese governments' leaders.

Uh-huh. Yup, no racism, none at all. Last one is excusable as referring to the government, but the former two are undeniably racism. Don't tell me that "Chinese people" somehow refers only to CCP supporters, or that the words "in general" excuse you from making sweeping generalizations about race, because, guess what, racism is when people make sweeping generalizations about race.

Well, since you said that
    I'll take it as less racist than I originally thought.

As for this statement:
    All I can say is that cultures may tend towards certain aspects, but ultimately they don't define individuals. Face is indeed important in Chinese culture, but part of face is rooted in morals; face is how the community sees an individual, or, I guess, how the individual thinks the community sees them. And a normal community does not look highly on an immoral person. True, there are communities that don't abide by the common ideas of morals, but that's not because they don't have any, but because they have a different set of them. Not to mention that face isn't valuable for every Chinese person. Otherwise there'd be no shameless people out there in China. You make it sound as if there isn't a single Chinese person that has a conscience. And, hate to break it to you, but that's racism.

I think the problem is corruption and the Chinese government's lacking management. Although they've helped in some areas, the Chinese government, especially now under Xi Jinping, seems more and more totalitarian and yet seems lacking in internal reform, since there's still plenty of crime. Of course, I'm not in much of a position to judge as an outsider, but I certainly think the Chinese government should put the effort they put into the great firewall into more deserving areas.

3. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The car thing is hardly unique to China, in fact even before China opened up, there were already compensation and insurance jokes about it in the West, guess people just forgot about it over time. And I think you brushed the "Chinese people" with too big a brush stroke. They are not all 'brainwashed slaves" like you seem to think. Covid was first outed by Chinese whistleblowers and in case you don't remember, Winnie the Pooh was coined by Chinese netizens to bypass their government's filters. Taring them all as brainwashed slaves is a pair of blinders that makes you overlook that a population of 1.2 Billion has a very wide distribution of people.

As for Covid, my call on that is that people are too obsessed with China and the CCP, to the point where it even washes over the problem with Covid or rather, taints it. Coronavirus can actually come up in ANY country anywhere and is a global problem, not just China but people see "China" and go nuts and forget to watch their own flanks and back. Coronavirii can come from anywhere, not just China and we (as in the world) are so distracted in the zeal to bash the evil CCP that we forget our own internal security. As an example, the first recorded case of Coronavirus was actually discovered in the United States, it was called the IBV or Infectious Broncitis Virus. Then besides SARS, there is also MERS or Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, which is also a Coronavirus. So, sure, be mad at China. But don't forget that this is not unique to China, viruses are endemic all over the world. We tend to forget but we are living on a planet that tries its best to sicken, deprivate or eat us every single day. Something modern technology has made a lot of us overlook.

If you think that it is just "nowadays", you obviously don't know Chinese history lol. Go read up the Opium Wars and the Boxer Rebellion. China was ALWAYS nationalist with a healthy dose of racism. They don't call themselves the Center of The Earth (i.e Middle Kingdom = China) on a random whim!

4. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Your comments are racist as hell. I don't like racism in any novels, but jesus christ man. Your anger sounds like one of those racist assholes who justify racism. Idk but there's some racist threw trash on someone's front yard on lunar new year day and some who will actually do even more shittier things and probably justify it even thu there are other cultures celebrating lunar new year and on top of that, what if the person they're targeting are anti communist. I also know someone who got called names and got rocks thrown at them as a child bc of anti chinese sentiment as a kid in the country they were born in and during that time; and one of their relative's dog and relative got blinded by rocks possibly by that. I am sick and tired of all the sinophobia these recent years and people like you making justifications for racism; some people even take it on a more dangerous toxic level and actually do hate crimes. There's racism on both sides and just sick and tired of shit. And worst of all is people who say they criticize the government, but throws in so much racism in can't even tell what their valid points criticizing the government is anymore or is it just an excuse for racism. If your anger is that level where you gonna lump all people of a ethnicity/nationality as all one type and think you're not racist...don't want people like you end up trashing people's lives just bc they're some ethnicity/nationality and you think they are all bad and deserve it.

Cannot change what one's ethnicity is born into but no culture and people is 100% all bad or good. You see all those crappy people and shit on TV and the news but there's actually a ton of good ones that have good morals, that aren't brainwashed, but they won't be at your face so you won't even know but there are good people too. There are good people that are actually humble too. What you see on media is heavily polarized on either sides. But most people are not that. Plus, if that was the case, for every time someone of your ethnicity/nationality is doing shit, would you like to be represented by them in one big stroke?

You know shit that I really hate? It doesn't matter if you have been born in the country or several generations of your fam lived here; or that in past they have made some actual contributions to country living in now, or that you barely even remember ancestors' culture like language and stuff cause you're pretty much assimilated into the country you call home. People still judge and lump groups all as unwilling to assimilate and racist and shit as hell and look at them as outsiders when the only thing that connect is their ethnicity and that's it. I hate racism. I don't like ethnicities/nationalities saying racist shit either and I know there's racist shit ethnicities/nationalities do to each other. But I also know not to lump that person as the majority of that ethnicity/nationality in one giant swoop.

Not all chinese are brainwashed as hell. Making sweeping generalizations of all chinese people as lacking morals and manners is racist as hell. People with good manners? Yeah, there are. Its just that people only notice the bad apples, the good ones that are polite? They won't put a label everywhere they go to show you, you just don't even know them but they are just passing by to get on in life.

Note: Again, I do not like racism; if there is racist shit in novels, I avoid those crap cause I ain't gonna give the writer the satisfaction they gained yet another reader and they think their story is good. Racism is racism regardless what ethnicity/nationality does it. And blackface is still blackface, still darn racism. I hate people who are argue and justify they are not racist, but say shit racist things. And I don't care who is racist, everyone can be racist and there's bound to be racists in every group. All racists suck regardless what ethnicity/nationality they are.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2021
  5. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind a little national pride from a protagonist/author. I don't really care for them shitting on other countries along the way, though. ... That said, it's not a deal-breaker for me. I can roll my eyes at the nationalism and move on, as long as the rest is good.

... Actually, y'know, I'm going to lock this here. It's okay to talk about nationalism in novels, but I suppose it's hard for people not to make it a straight discussion of politics and/or religion, both of which are against forum rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.