Discussion Have you ever dropped a novel for d*ck like reason and knew it?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Emissary Nouvelle, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like I think I 've done it a few times. Dropping a novel because something pissed me off and I was self aware that I was probably being a tool but I can't help it you know. What annoys me. Annoys me. Like in tales of herding gods, I dropped it because the mc was being a selfless saint, he could ascend pass the limits of **** (forgot it) but other humans couldn't, so he decided to give away the key to make the rest of the human race do it out of the goodness of his heart. Which annoyed me so I dropped it. Wanting the mc to be selfish is probably due to me being a d*ck. Maybe there's just something wrong with me in particular and others are ok with selfless saint mcs.

2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Something like a side-character getting pussy that you shipped with the MC? I already dislike when they have guy friends that aren't little fatties, lol.

Emissary Nouvelle likes this.
  3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a perfectly valid reason for dropping a novel, especially if you have certain expectations in mind about the characters' behaviours and the novel doesn't meet those expectations.

Reack, Dr_H_16, CrypticDota and 10 others like this.
  4. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ya'll petty AF but I'm not going to be the first to stone you because I am not without pettiness myself.

5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, male protagonist was too blond.
    I don't like blond.

Or female lead looked like the girl who dumped me.. yeah right

[​IMG]

6. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Staph lying, you know you dropped novel because girl too young. You loli hater. :blobpeek:

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Lion Turtle

Lion Turtle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont see any difference between that and dropping a novel for being grossly sexist or boring or having too many plot holes. If you dont like the entertainment, you dont read it.

8. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it was for very legit reasons, maybe not for the writer but definitely for me

Emissary Nouvelle and otaku31 like this.
  9. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    ... never drop'd anything for a dick

... at least not for others' dick.

However, I dropped a bunch of novels for whatever imaginable reason ... when you start reading this kind of stories everything is new, then you realize that A LOT of them are the same, just in a different cloth ... and if some settings, events aren't to my liking ... gone.

Emissary Nouvelle likes this.
  10. Emissary Nouvelle

Reading List:
    Link
    I plead guilty. I am a loli hater. It's the imagery in the words of the novel man. Petite small body and small swelling on her jade like chest, even without the words I like to picture what's happening in my mind until my brain starts to feel lazy. And a lolicon just disturbs me since I like kids but as a fatherly figure. Even if the loli is Ten million years old a loli is always a loli if she looks like one. There are exceptions to every rule though Scum Che's milf count cancels out his lolis. Still don't like them as much as the milfs though, in fact I don't like any of them except the tsundere Jasmine but I can tolerate their presence due to milf justice. I also respect a man's taste. Since I like milfs of course I won't convert you to my religion if you like lolis. Though I guess it might be connected to my real life tastes and not what I like to see in novels since I had a few classmates or school mates if you will that were the same age or older than me but were super short and looked like kid 12 although they were 17/18, I wasn't attracted to them at all although funny enough almost all of them had boyfriends lol. (P.S. GRAMMAR NAZIS, Milf: hot older woman. That's the definition I'm working with not Milf: hot older woman usually mother of a child or children.)
    (Also anyone notice that Mars has a real loli fetish x in almost every novel he has at least 2)

otaku31 and elengee like this.
  11. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've dropped books before because I couldn't stand the sloppy editing or bad grammar (and I'm strictly talking English writers writing books actually published.) Does that count?

12. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've dropped numerous novels because I disliked the romance in it...most of the time it's because the MC falls in love and breaks character to help their love interest. I just dislike when the love interest drags down the MC, so I can take it when they're useful to the MC somehow.

Maybe this is because I get quite attached to the MC's character in most novels so I really hate it when they have character development in a way I don't like, like falling in love. Heck, even in romance novels I dislike reading about the MC falling in love, yet I can stomach the MC being a dense or indecisive harem protagonist and love interests falling for the protagonist...I guess I'm a bit of jerk xD

Maybe it's also because I'm not really a shipper, so I don't get attached to fictional romantic relationships and I also don't wish for them to be there in canon. Second lead syndrome? I might like the second lead more than the main, but I'm not the person you'd see rioting in the comments about it. I squee more for a power fantasy MC beating up enemies than the main CP getting together.

Side note: This is probably why I get weirdly offended when I see reviews on novels with no romance listing the lack of a main CP as a con...

Reack and Emissary Nouvelle like this.
  13. Emissary Nouvelle

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeap. Like the little sister trope. It's not for me. Once or twice would've been okay but I've seen it so many times now it gets under my skin. Even if they weren't dead weight and annoying (most of them are), I'd probably find fault with them anyway (whenever you hate someone). Same with the orphan who never met his parents making it his life's goal to find them and finally be loved (when he's 100-100 0000 years old with a family he's ignoring and ironically treating them just like his parents treated him). Yea so many tropes make my skin crawl. I don't mind some others though the fat best,friend doesn't annoy me , the tournaments (except douluo dalu), auctions and such also don't annoy me. The treasure at the bottom of cliff kun etc. I've developed a sixth sense for novels after reading so many so even if I can't critique it into words I can usually analyse and predict certain things and my sixth sense doesn't like annoying little sisters and the rest.

otaku31 and StuffedDuck like this.
  14. ANonMouse

Reading List:
    Link
    The weird thing imo is rebirthed adults somehow having a sex drive at 8 years old. We very much know sex drive is linked to bodily developments during puberty, and when you make parallel worlds where most of the underlying rules are the same, it's very immersion breaking when you have pre-teens wanting to fuck each other or adults.

Also, quick condundrum, but do you think you'd be more attracted to a child in a hot adult's body, or a hot adult in a child's body? Main reason we disdain pedophilia is because it's essentially exploiting underdeveloped (mentally and maybe also physically) people. Even though we don't call Drake a pedophile, we still look down on him for grooming teens till they're 18 (when he starts to date them), because he's still imprinting himself in underdeveloped minds for his very developed purposes.

15. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Morally correct answer: don't be attracted to either of them.

Still, it's not uncommon to find novels where a childish character is in a romantic relationship with a non-child. By child, I mean mentally a child. Usually this is when said character is technically old but mentally childish due to lack of exposure to society, but I've also seen ones where the character really is mentally young, although usually not a human child, because magic growth stuff or something makes their body mature.

ANonMouse likes this.
  16. Emissary Nouvelle

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. Can't beat those hormones. But for me appearance is key, but not always I don't have a type but appearance helps. They have to look my age or older. But even then I wouldn't necessarily like them. Like for example there's this spanish artist. Natti Natasha, objectively I can admit she's attractive but personally I'm not attracted to her. I'm just weird like that, one of those "when you know, you know persons". Instead of saying I don't know what I want I think of it as being more flexible but even then, lolis are a big no for me. As for that thing with drake, I'm not really familiar with it so I won't say anything but yea, don't like kids wouldn't be with anyone younger than me unless they look the part. Of course being in your late twenties and dating early twenties...wait we're way off track here lol. How'd we get here. I thought we talking about dropping novels for objectively questionable d*ck like reasons. Lol, sure veered way of track but I guess loli hating is one of my reasons so maybe not so much.

17. ANonMouse

Reading List:
    Link
    yea, there's a lot of novels where dude basically raises his demon (magical intelligent animal) waifu. Or rebirth childhood friends since baby waiifu where there's weird comments about how this 4 year old already looks like she'll bloom into a beauty. It's pretty WTF.

OFC when it comes to reality, don't even think about either (esp since one of those is a pedo excuse "she's mature for her age and I'm mentally a child"). I'm just pointing out that in terms of fantasy, there's a bit of a grey space there because the reasons behind the immorality of pedophilia is based on the physical and mental growth of a human from child to adult. In a fantasy world, there very might well be a 1,000 year old dragon who has the body of an underdeveloped human child. As long as mentally she's not a child, I wouldn't call it pedophilia. Is using tropes like this to pander to pedos fucked up? Maybe. But as far as the rules of the story go, it might actually not be fundamentally exploitative and immoral. Basically as long as author isn't blatently pandering to pedos like authors blatently pander to xenophobia, I think it's not too bad as far as story mechanics go.

@Emissary Nouvelle I do think it's an interesting topic because there are things in these novels that scream pedo that people don't talk about while they talk about other things in those same novels that are arguable either way imo as being very pedo.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    aShinyVaporeon likes this.
  18. Emissary Nouvelle

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol. You'll hate never die extra then from active translation. I dropped it kind of due to that, his male friends got their own harem of beautiful girls and it annoyed me but it was a succession of facts, like dense idiocy, immaturity, conveniently dumb at times moments but the final nail in coffin was when he decided to make the ENTIRE HUMAN RACE stronger with his knowledge of the future and hax. Barring selfish reasons which I won't deny are there. Plot armour is the only.reason the same people he helped get stronger don't turn on him and kill him and his loved ones so yea, I forgive plot armour if the mc is a badass but this mixture of a Korean and Japanese dense mc is just ugh. It has a lot of.reviews but I don't like it. Not discouraging anyone from reading it though. It's just not for me like the Regressor Instruction Manual on the same site, I agree it's objectively a breath of fresh air but a weak mc that can do nothing by himself is quite unappealing I'd say. Even though I like harem novels these two just rub me the wrong way so much my love for harems isn't enough to push on.

otaku31 and elengee like this.
  19. Kamuizin

Kamuizin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dropped ATG because MC and FL are imbeciles.

The environment was great, cool cultivation system, in special the one used by MC, nice background characters (for fast food novel), but MC retard and FL bad writing took too much of my patience.

20. X18999

X18999 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've dropped novels because I lost where I was reading them and can't be bothered to find my place.

iLwqal likes this.