Discussion [Poll] Crazy Rich ... Chinese

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kkgoh, Jun 10, 2021.

?

How much do you spend on food daily?

1. <$1 (I'm so poor, the ducks throw bread at me!)

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. $1-$5 (I opened a Gmail account just to eat SPAM)

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. $5-$10 (I walked down the street with 1 shoe. When asked if I lost a shoe, I told ppl I found one)

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  4. $10-$15 (I'm so poor, I can't even pay attention!)

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  5. $15-$20 (I eat cereal with a fork ... to save on milk!)

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. $20-$25 (I wave a popsicle stick and call it air-conditioning)

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  7. $25-$50 (I use Cheerios for earrings)

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. $50-$100 (When I go to KFC, I lick other people's fingers!)

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  9. >$100 ("I cannot eat with such low standards")

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "We have to eat better, I cannot eat with such low standards," Su Mang added on the show 50km Taohuawu, which has 15 celebrities living together for 21 days."

The full quote was from Su Mang, a Chinese celebritiy, when asked whether 650 yuan (US$101) was enough for daily food expenses per person (i.e. it still wasn't enough for her).
    “650真的不够”
    “你早上不喝牛奶呀,你早上不吃鸡蛋呀”
    “我不能那么差的伙食”

Needless to say it sparked a huge backlash in China and media.
    Why it is no longer cool to be a crazy rich Asian in China - BBC News

So much for Crazy Rich Asians.
    [​IMG]

So rather than waste time doing pointless social commentary, let's just figure out how much Nuffians spend daily on food, and what actually goes into your pie-hole!!

This will be a totally non-sarcastic, non-offensive, non-discriminatory poll!

As per @Blitz , for PPP purchasing-power-parity purposes, this will be denominated in USD. Here's the conversion table.
    If you respond with what you're actually eating, it'll give insight into PPP costs.
    Your welcome.
    https://www.x-rates.com/table/?from=USD&amount=1

I'll self-report to eat cereal with a fork ($15-20).
    Coffee $1-4 (made at home, at Starbucks, or some combination of Starbucks redemption)
    Lunch $4-8 (deli-lunch at Jared's Subway/numerous restaurants, or homemade sandwiches)
    Dinner $5-10 (Asian takeout if busy, or random assortment of cooked grocery items)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    Ai chan and imK like this.
  2. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    anywhere from a few bucks to 20ish bucks, depending on whether I'm eating in or out.

Lurking and kkgoh like this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    There's also the whole factor with how the same amount of spending power can allow different people access to potentially, vastly differing amounts of food depending on their location.

4. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    That really have to depend, by myself, $20 is max. With my family and I am forking, it is about $40 to $50 per person for the entire day.

kkgoh likes this.
  5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanted to go for the "ducks throw bread at me" option, but I'm so poor even ducks shun me. :blobcry:

aShinyVaporeon, Snowbun, imK and 6 others like this.
  6. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess I be picking up shoes
    I also request you add a >1000$ (Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore) option

Beren and kkgoh like this.
  7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    So poor that you didn't get to play duck hunt as a kid.

imK, 0000000, kkgoh and 1 other person like this.
  8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    that kinda hard to say if ya take food on monthly expense cooking at home~ with various possibilities combination exclude random time eating out or just for snack, calculate current conversions......
    1~5 usd range~
    19637.png
    there some places that good enuf to fill your tummy with basic vegetable, protein and carbo combo with friendly price on cities this cat lived on~

kkgoh likes this.
  9. keialpha

keialpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It totally depends on what you eat. At least 10 years ago, those large apples from America, sell for 100 yuan a pound while the small sized Chinese apple sell for less than 10 yuan a pound.
    If you only eat things certified to some high standards, your food expense can be very high.

kkgoh likes this.
  10. Supreme emperor shota

Supreme emperor shota Last shota in heaven

Reading List:
    Link
    I have been eating jam sandwiches for months now

11. animefan4004

animefan4004 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Around 15-20 dollars worth of food daily

kkgoh likes this.
  12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Too hard to do the math while including money conversion tbh... But it's not much... I guess I can say that I'm pretty sure it's less than 5$.

kkgoh likes this.
  13. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like pretty clean data ....

People in Asia love spam and spend <US$10 a day on food.

[​IMG]

People in the West lick other people's fingers and spend >US$15 a day on food.

[​IMG]

ongoingwhy likes this.
  14. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on what I eat, since crab or lobster will drive up the price of my daily meals like crazy (and also I'm not the one cooking or shopping), but I'd say like... $25-50 since I don't each that much on regular days.

Also... how is $101 not enough to buy milk and eggs???

That costs like $5 max here.

15. Selviata

Selviata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Daily? The typical person living in the USA probably spends around $300-400 per month on food (groceries and eating out occasionally), which is about $10-14 a day. Unless the cost of living is ridiculously high (produce-wise, which is honestly not very high in most countries), I would say your captions for anything above $5 and below $100 are quite off the mark. Personally, I don't know anyone who spends over $3000 a month on food. Even the more wealthy people (~$200k-$300k salary) spend probably 2k, max per month.

kkgoh likes this.
  16. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    canned soup[1$], a few sandwiches with cheese and sometimes deli meat[approx 1$ a sandwich, 3 a day], snack (this week oreos[3$ a box] and yogurt raisins[4$ for 10 servings]), oatmeal [3$ for 10 servings], so much water [free]

about 7$ a day?

USA. lower when i dont get oreos and yogurt raisins, but im treating myself.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    kkgoh likes this.
  17. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Eeeeeeeeh? I would never lick someone else's finger (well, I could lick my boyfriend's), nor spend 15$/day in food, I'd go bankrupt in no time if I did that.

18. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmm ... since the Chinese celeb could eat >US$101 per day, I have to assume all possibilities.
    Who knows, maybe some Nuffians are arrogant rich young masters. In which case, please feel free to face-smack me and throw some Bitcoins my way :notworthy:

Really wealthy folks who hire personal live-in chefs would definitely go over $3k. Even Warren Buffett's personal chef makes at least $80-100k/yr, which means $6-8k/month on salary alone.

The $200-300k salary range could hit $2k or more per month. At least pre-pandemic, consultants who jet set Mon-Thurs get to expense meals on corporate cards <$100/day. If they wine-and-dine with clients that number goes even higher.

TMI!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    aShinyVaporeon, imK and Lurking like this.
  19. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean... In the context this means finger, yanno? Is that really Too Much Information for you?

Sure, I wouldn't mind licking other parts of his body, but I didn't feel like I had any reason to mention that before you made this post~ *giggles*

20. Selviata

Selviata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess this is all under the assumption that we are speaking from the common man's POV. Real talk, if we are purely speaking using the USA demographic, sure, some Nuffians may be arrogant young masters, but the vast majority of us are definitely not. I def agree that truly wealthy individuals will spend that much, but this isn't the norm. Using the chef's salary as a model (well above the median USA salary), if they make $6-8k per month, about 24% of their income will go to pay for federal taxes, not even including state and local taxes, this brings what they really get to take home down to 5-6k. Then, assuming this person does not own a home, mortgage/rent/utilities, let's count at $1500. There's about 4k left, you now have to pay for other things such as phone bills, insurance, food, and save some money for retirement. Assuming this person does not have kids (also a major expense) and is financially responsible, I doubt they will spend thousands on food for themselves. The people who make 200-300k+ are in the top 10% of wage earners, really wealthy people who make millions? The 0.1%.

The point of my comment was to point out the inaccuracies of your side descriptions in the poll choices. No one who spends $50-$100 per day on food will lick other people's fingers for the sake of being frugal. Looking back though, I foolishly failed to see the satire.

Lurking, imK, kkgoh and 1 other person like this.