Do you judge books by their covers?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by otaku31, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Speaking of webtoons, Odd Girl Out and Cheese in the Trap covers don't look like much.

But, I started reading out of boredom and got hooked. If anyone else wants a romance/thriller deal, Cheese in the Trap delivers in spades and is complete.

otaku31 likes this.
  2. Mysticant

Mysticant Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For novels, I would say title, synopsis and like 1-3 chapters. Covers do not influence like 99% of anything an author writes and the skills of the author and artist may differ. Though better covers may indicate better novels like in QiDian, I do not believe in any cover for novels. It is only there for the initial spark of attention.

For manga, cover is the huge selling point for me. Especially if it is a colour cover or colour page, I mean if I wanted plot and bad art I might as well read a novel, no? VNs on another hand is half-half.:blobthinkingsmirk:

otaku31 likes this.
  3. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't say I care much about the covers, and in the rare cases when I do it is usually when it is actually an interesting cover, rather than when it is a bad one.
    Regardless of the cover it is mostly the title and description I pay attention to really, exception might be a manga or webtoon where the cover actually reflect the art of the story.
    And when it comes to webnovels I pretty much by default just assume the cover doesn't even belong to the story in the first place most of the time.

otaku31 likes this.
  4. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been betrayed too many times by beautiful book covers, i have trust issues with them now! :blobsob: Covers are now irrelevant to me, i buy based on reviews.

otaku31 likes this.
  5. 01

01 [REDACTED]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes yes, because some fake books have low quality cover. I have experience of buying $100 old book and unfortunately it's fake.

otaku31 likes this.
  6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, absolutely. I think I became quite good at judging which titles I'll dislike just from looking at the cover and some basic tags~

For example, I have disliked almost all Male Protagonist novels that I tried that happened to have only a Woman and nobody else in their covers... There are exceptions, like Sukasuka, but uhn... That's honestly the only exception that I can think of.

So... After a while I just started instantly filtering out all novels with male protag with girl on cover. I might miss out on some gems like that, but I'm sure I'm filtering out tons of trash novels by doing this as well~

otaku31 likes this.
  7. Seigin

Seigin [Lolicon][GenderBender Banzai!]

Reading List:
    Link
    Partially

For me to read a novel there are certain prerequisites to check first.

-The cover (i need it to imagine the characteristics of the characters in novels, for mangas or anime it serves as a guideline about the image quality)
    -Synopsis/summary/even spoiler about it
    -Reviews if it has a good reputation (as I don't wanna waste my time reading trash)
    -Chapter lenght
    But the cover is the huge deciding factor

otaku31 likes this.
  8. Nana24

Nana24 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, some novels don't even have a proper cover.
    Yet, I still look at the cover.
    For novels: I look out at the reviews, summary, spoilers.
    For manga, webtoons: look at the cover, the tags & TikTok. TikTok tends to introduced new mangas/webtoon to me. Sometimes, because of the cover, I end up reading a dog-blood drama, or toxic relationships. (Now, I've learnt to read the reviews in finding out the clues)

One of the manga I've read & was introduced by TikTok was The Horizon. (tag: tragedy) - it's during a war, affects your emotions greatly.

otaku31 likes this.
  9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    yes to certain extend~ one of this cat hobby was window shopping on bookstore ya know, so this cat have habit look at the cover then read synopsis on it back~ the serious book have kinda simple design~ young adult romance have cheerful impression unless it have tragedy or sad nuance on story~ documentary or stuff like that the hardcover is nice~ fantasy novel have impression trying to grab your attention~

cover for manga is hmmm more important than novel MORE SO IF THE GENRE IS ECCHI!

otaku31 likes this.
  10. aintg

aintg Fairy Queen of the Demonic Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't deny that it does. I mean, cover art is intended to attract readers, so if I don't feel attracted by the cover, I probably will reconsider the decision to read the book. On the other hand, I'm aware that the synopsis, or sometimes though rarely, the reviews, may give a different impression, so I don't use cover as the main aspect of consideration.

otaku31 likes this.
  11. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes if the art for the cover is trash the art for the manga will too so obviously judge like the shallow little bitch I am

otaku31 likes this.
  12. incaendo

incaendo Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ABSOLUTELY. YES.

I do this not only for web novels, but also with physical books. My theory/rationale is that if the author/publisher put in enough effort to design a good book cover, that shows that the book's content itself is also at least of a certain quality and standard. ;)

(Also, as a graphic designer / artist myself, I love cover art and design so I especially pay attention to that :))

otaku31 likes this.
  13. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    Most probably. Just think, you go to a bookstore to buy a book. You walk between the bookshelves. But you don't buy the first book or any other book you come across. But if the cover of a book is attractive, it's tempting to pick it up. After that you look at its title. That's nature. If we read an e-book, manga or any other, it's just the same.

Isn't it the same for humans? If someone is so attractive, do we not want to know more about them?

otaku31 likes this.
  14. Hazel00

Hazel00 Highland Knight | From Karsuk

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, cover matters.
    But thankfully we have reviews and rating, or i can check somewhere before buying book that im interested in.

otaku31 likes this.
  15. dilemma

dilemma Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh for sure. I often pick up novels with a good-looking art style regardless of the plot, as stupid as that may sound. I do check the summary though.

otaku31 likes this.