Discussion White loupus lotus vs Black lotus

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deleted member 306720, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Deleted member 306720

Deleted member 306720 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    In some novels have I seen the word “White lotus” and “Black lotus”, and I wanted to ask what is the difference.

Do white lotus mean “good” and black lotus mean “bad”?

Xi-hime likes this.
  2. writtenforcup

writtenforcup i wanna fffff

Reading List:
    Link
    white lotus, as far as I know, means someone who's really nice and pure, and like, they never have any hidden motives or anything. Black lotus (I think) just means the opposite of a white lotus

3. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    white lotus can apply to someone who schemes by acting pjre and virtuous (usually the case I see in novels)

the less seen case is a white lotus is truly pure and virtuous (I dont see this often because white lotus seems to be a sarcastic term)

I'll assume black lotus is the opposite and just someone evil to the core
    but maybe the person is beautiful

4. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    White lotus on the internet just means someone that looks and acts innocent, but is different underneath (kinda similar to green tea b), so it’s bad. (Two-faced)

Black lotus I think just means the opposite/someone that gets misunderstood as the bad guy even though they aren’t. (Idk a novel called “Black lotus” was kinda like that definition)

The real meaning behind white lotus is purity and righteous while black lotus means rebellion, so in this case white lotus is good while the black lotus is bad. (Thank you Shio for reminding me to also add in the real meaning behind them!)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  5. Bryaxis

Bryaxis Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if you can tell me the name of a book with a black lotus!! sounds interesting
    =

Deleted member 306720 likes this.
  6. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    Think that novel is just called Black Lotus, it also had a manhua version. “Muted” might also have a black lotus.

7. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nah. White lotus means someone who is pure and righteous, even when their surrounding are bad. The term came from lotus that blooms beautifully, even when they are born from mud.

That's why when you read villainess novel, it'll mention antagonist that act like white lotus. It's because the antagonist are originally the main protagonist/seen as someone good natured (white lotus).

It seems like most International reader mistaken the term since they are not native/used to the term, but the original meaning is still used until now. The novel that you mention should be using the term as a world play, similar to how western story would twist fairy tale story.

8. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    That is true, but on the internet most people uses white lotus as an insult instead of a compliment so I decided to go for that meaning instead. What you said is true that white lotus represents purity and righteous since after all that’s what the color white represents (light/pure). Thank you for the information of the other meaning though!

9. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    A black lotus is a magic card that can generate 3 mana~

A white lotus is a counterfeit card that got decolored~

10. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    White lotus originally just means a pure and innocent person, usually also a weak one. Over time this began to overlap a bit with the green tea b*tch term, which refers to a person pretending to be pure or innocent but not actually one, due to being used sarcastically. However, white lotus still retains its original meaning. I guess it varies by context.

A black lotus would be a blackened white lotus, I suppose? Blackening meaning becoming malicious/manipulating, so a black lotus would be a person that really only holds a facade of purity and the rest of them is anything but.

11. Deleted member 306720

Deleted member 306720 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!:bloblove::blobbunny::blobuwu:

12. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Black lotus = white lotus after blackening

The BL manhua? It's really... cliche. >.<

13. c.decora

c.decora Holy Cardinal, Ascended Mouse

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I add... In most cases where "white lotus" is mentioned nowadays, it's used under the category of "acting like a white lotus," implying they're not truly. E.g. "stop acting like a white lotus," or "you really think you're a white lotus?" The emphasis is that it's a facade the person is putting on, which lead it to become such a sarcastic term.

14. lamb19

lamb19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A real white lotus is the typical woman that when her boss is bullying her and giving her double the amount of work than her other co-workers, instead of tipping HR, she cheers herself by saying "XY, fighting!".

They are oblivious when people make a move on them (romantically or with bad intentions), and are clumsy.

They also are righteous and fights for the underdog, but they always end up complicating things.

They shine with an inner light, have beautiful eyes, but pretty average looks. (And no breasts)

In other words: optimistic, hard-working, righteous, kind-hearted and gullible.

……………………….♡♡………………………….

Then If a white lotus is an altruist (wanting to help others) and mess up people's lives unintended; then a black lotus is a sociopath and wants to ruin the lives of other people for fun. To drag them to the same hell they are trapped in. Petty, grudge holder, manipulator, narcissistic, and two-faced. They hide behind an amiable mask, but they are nothing like so.