Discussion Gamestop stockmarket

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dokja6116, Jun 12, 2021.

?

Did you know about this?

1. Yes.

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No.

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're genuinely interested in investing in the stock market, look to your local brokerage for online lessons/material. Everything from how to evaluate companies (fundamental, technical analysis), to how to place orders (market, limit, stop loss, etc). You might even go into derivatives (options, futures, etc), as an additional trading strategy.
    Overall these are good financial skills to learn since a significant portion of your lifetime wealth will be built on such investments.

I would still point out to you the problems of meme stock speculation, especially from overseas. The previous commenters have discussed GME (GameStop) in particular, but the problem of speculating in any meme stock still stands.
    You are at a huge disadvantage investing in any volatile US stocks while outside of the US. That disadvantage is something most overseas brokerages won't tell you.

A few examples.
    - You place an open market order for 100 shares of GME while it's currently at $200, but by time it executes due to the lag, GME could be $220, and you just bought GME at $220. You just lost $2000 due to lag.
    The right solution in this case would've been to enter a limit order (only buy at $200), but most people don't even know to do that.

- You owned 100 GME shares at $220 and place a stop-loss order (to limit losses in a downswing) at $180 while GME is currently at $200. GME is so volatile that intraday (same day) swings can go from $179 to $220. You realize midway that you were too hasty in setting the stop-loss order and want to remove it, but you encounter network error because of huge trading volumes and can't cancel it in time. Your stop-loss triggers at $180. GME ends the day back at $220. You've now just lost $40/share, or $4000.

The above were common situations for many overseas traders, which frankly speaking was their own fault. They were legit strategies but should primarily be used on non-volatile stocks.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    AliceShiki and Nightow1 like this.
  2. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And all your self intro changes my point how? And I'm suspecting that you did not understand what I meant by hype. Hype is not the "arrest everyone!!" part, it's the "Buy GameStop!!" part. You don't call arresting people "hype"....

3. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmm... I think you're arguing semantics.
    Collusion (what majority of the retail investors effectively did through WallStreetBets) is price-rigging, and is illegal.
    Manipulation (what Roaring Kitty the main contributor to WallStreetBets did by influencing stock price by publishing misleading info or giving false impressions) is also illegal.

SEC couldn't really go after the retail traders for collusion. There were simply too many of them. It was basically a herding strategy for safety in numbers. It's theoretically wrong, but hey, they got away with it, and continue to get away with it. (y)
    SEC could go after Roaring Kitty. At the very least, the dude lost his financial broker license and is now being sued.

AliceShiki likes this.
  4. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel forums may not be the best place to get investment advice. But Ai-chan can advise you to invest in chicken stocks. They don't take any time to prepare, unlike boiling chicken bones. And they make any soup taste so much better. They're cheap too, costs almost nothing.

5. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    Misread what you wrote. Thought you had written that he had been sued by the SEC, my bad.

I invested in GME early in janurary, but got out and bought in again a few months back. It was fun, until the lunatic conspiracy theories became rampant. I bailed a few days ago and thank god i did

kkgoh likes this.
  6. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you invent a chicken with no head, 4 wings and 6 legs, I'll invest in it.
    Someone already got halfway there.

[​IMG]

AliceShiki and Ai chan like this.
  7. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the unfortunate part is that despite all the drama and short selling, GameStop doesn't really have much of a future in selling physical games with things like Steam and Epic out there, so even with all the funds pumped into them from all the hype, I'm still hard pressed as to see how they can sustain a profit long term. They are in a sinking industry, for better or worse. And those that bought them either need to "flip" their shares to someone else or they are going to have to take the bullet when it crashes.

Anything wrong with my analysis?

kkgoh likes this.
  8. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It is very easy to educate yourself using websites like Investopedia but the dumbed-down explanation also helps
    You can watch this

I do not recommend stocks.
    Bonds and ETFs are the best option.
    Dividend investing is also a better option than trying to beat the market.
    Unless you have insider knowledge that is technically illegal, you will never beat the stock market
    It is just like trying to win the lottery
    You will just end up being scammed

9. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The 'crash' is an inevitability. Of course. However, thanks to a partnership with Microsoft in 2020 long before the craze that paved the way to a new business model with pretty solid hires for its executive branch during 2021, it's hard to say that they will fall back to their previous state of deterioration. The prices are expected to stabilize somewhere about twenty to forty times the initial value. (From 6 bucks in 2019 to around 180$ from now on)

I stopped paying attention to GME somewhere during March so my info might be outdated tho.