Recommendations Author thinks ahead

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by The Hamster Overlord, Jun 12, 2021.

1. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Often times I see that the author begins writing a novel without thinking things through because they had an interesting idea and wanted to get into it right away. Then the idea stops being so interesting and the author falls back to tired and beaten old horses: cliches and unnecessary plot lines, characters that have no relevance to the story whatsoever, repetitive scenes, gags that stop working after the first time if they work at all ect, etc.
    Rarely do I see a novel where the author actually thinks things through carefully, arranges every detail to fit into the overall narrative and create side plot lines to act as nice dressings for the main core of the story. Even rarer do I see the author sticking to the main ideas and have well-defined characters that act based on the needs of their established characteristics rather than the needs of the plot.
    Beautiful examples would be Overlord (people even made youtube channels to talk about its rich plot and characters, with awesome character analysis videos and a lot of other things), Devil is a part-timer (a most wonderful and a most terribly underrated story on this site), I'm a spider so what, Tanaka the wizard and others
    I am pretty sure I have maybe seen the gems on the site, but maybe I lost a few, so I am checking your recommendations for such stories.

2. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Hitomi Tanaka? @elengee
    It's funny when I listen to jrock and I hear Hitomi in a couple of songs, me get horny, J cup man.
    This fanfic is really planned out, it starts 150 years before Ichigo arrives to Seireitei. There's plenty of story even with 1 years timeskips every so often. Author has to fit new factions which just aren't in the show in Ichigo's time, so they need to be destroyed or gone by then.
    Just some advice, skip academy entrance exam and ignore all the praise Itachi gets, fic really gets good after graduation.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13001576/1/Eyes-of-the-Soul

The Hamster Overlord likes this.
  3. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Transcendental Mechanic/The Legendary Mechanic

I'd say it has about 50/50 planned and spur of the moment/adapting to the circumstances.

You can tell that the author had some plans for the major arcs and I'm pretty sure the ending was planned from the beginning or at least early on. (Speaking of which, this is a 1.5k chapter long CN webnovel that somehow has a proper ending.)

It even explains how come MC was transmigrated into a game he'd been playing etc.

4. Ice Demon

Ice Demon Arctic Demon Realm's Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't say I know a story that meets all your requirements as what people count as clichés and unnecessary plot lines tend to be different to each individual. I'll just list some novels I've found interesting recently. Take what you will of them.

A good majority of Korean novels like - Past Life Returner

Some non-Korean good novels to try are - Apotheosis of a Demon – A Monster Evolution Story - The MC actually does what they need to without pussyfooting around.

Apocalypse Lord - Has a lot of pov's of side characters that don't really matter to the plot but helps set the tone. Ending was a little disappointing, for me at least.

アンノウンディザスターオンライン
    or The Unknown Star Online - Currently hasn't been attempted to be translated as far as I'm aware. About the life of a girl dragged by her friend to play a vrmmo that takes elements of Half-Life, Resident Evil, and Escape from Tarkov. Link to the novel is

Villager A Wants to Save the Villainess no Matter What! - My favorite character is the villainess that villager A wants to save. Sadly they don't make an appearance until around chapter 30 if I remember correctly. MC's abilities are too convenient and OP. The royalty in the story are all depicted as idiots and villains. Honestly, most of the problems could be solved if the MC just became an assassin and killed off two royal families, which he quickly gains the means and ability to do. However even with those minuses it's still a good read.

Hope it helps and you like them.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  5. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Bvid

Bvid Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it end already? Last time i read it when mc beat world tree civilization

7. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    The novel itself ended over half a year ago, and I read the whole thing on LNMTL (where it's called Transcendental Mechanic, which is a much better and suitable name of the title btw) so I finished it shortly there after.

As for whether the translation on Webnovel is finished, IDK

8. armad224

armad224 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. 69 others

69 others Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The webnovel translation is 50 ish chapters away from ending