Discussion playing a game for years

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Bad Storm, Jun 13, 2021.

?

Ever played genshin? Did you like it? Why or why not?

1. Yes, I tried it and liked it.

30.5%
  2. Yes, I tried but it just bored me.

11.9%
  3. Nope, didn't even try coz it didn't seem to be my cup of tea

13.6%
  4. Nope, I would like to try it but I have my misgivings

18.6%
  5. Never even heard of it

5.1%
  6. Gacha games are evil!

28.8%
  7. others

5.1%
  8. *noms skullie*

16.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to feel shocked about hearing people play a game for months and even years. I mostly play single player rpg games then. Finish the story and you're done. I play casual games sometimes too, just chill runs. Then I got into an mmorpg. Got into a guild. Played for months until the devs sorta gave up on the game. They stopped fixing bugs. The story stopped progressing. It became just a grindy nothingness. I quit despite how much I like the guild and the members. A few months later, the game shut down.

Then I got into Genshin. The trailer captivated me. I was waiting for that game while it's in its closed beta test 2. I joined it's discord waiting for crumbs. I got a little jealous of the cn server who played the open beta test haha. It's been 8 months since it got released and I don't see myself quitting anytime soon. I liked the lore, that characters, the graphics, the music. It is my first gacha too. I tried other gacha after genshin, they just didn't struck me as much. Though, I must say, genshin is like one of the stingiest game I encountered. I don't mind it much since I rarely got attracted to characters. And since it's a pve game, the meta isn't that important.

Then life became a little hectic. I only read a little and play a little. That's what I kinda appreciate in genshin, it's not much of a time sink. At least compared to the rpg game I used to play. Lots of player complain about that aspect of that game though. They want to sink in hours of gaming but they feel gated by the stamina/resin system. Some quit. Some don't. That's okay, why play a game if you don't enjoy it anymore? Don't fall for the sunk cost fallacy or the FOMO. Those are known gacha game tactics to keep players playing.

Anyway, that is my little story. What about you? ever played a game for years? What made you stay or keep coming back? Or what made you quit?

2. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    *counts number of years*
    I've been playing League of Legends on and off for 8 years. Not regularly, but I would play a couple games every two month or so. Plus I would go months without playing it:notlikeblob::notlikeblob::notlikeblob:

3. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    I think games like LoL, are fun in short bursts so issokay. :blob_patpat:

4. lottocat

lottocat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ive played onmyoji for uhh more than a year, maybe 2 then i went on a months long hiatus and now im back but for me it's realllllyy a lonngg time

Bad Storm likes this.
  5. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    *glances at 3k+ hours in doto 2 since beta about 10 years ago*

Ehe?

6. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    DOTA, I feel nostalgia haha. I used to play it in high school, playing with friends is nice.

7. lottocat

lottocat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    people say why play a game if it's not fun anymore but like idk idk??? you just should? youve sunk that time in already and now youre throwing it away? it's not not fun idk thoughts complex

Havisu likes this.
  8. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the sunk cost fallacy. Since you've invested resources like time, efforts or even money, maybe you should continue playing.

Personally, I would quit a game if I'm not enjoying it anymore because I play to have fun. It's the same as reading, it's a leisure activity. If it's no longer leisurely, that would defeat the purpose of why I did it in the first place.

EDIT 1: If you could divert the time, effort and money into something better, why not? Maybe you could find other hobbies or be more productive with your life. That sounds better than continously playing a game that stopped feeling rewarding to you imo.

OceanMagix and Kairil like this.
  9. Devil Heart

Devil Heart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I played a facebook game CafeLand and Cooking Adventure a looonng time ago when I just started high school basically or at the end of middle school, then I stopped after facebook died down and there is youtube, anime and other game in my tablet, so I forgot about them. Sometimes, just sometimes I opened my PC and play them in fb
    Then a few years later I found out CafeLand and Cooking Adventure are now in Playstore, then I started playing them back, so yeah that's it my longest (if u could even say that) game history

Other games I just played for about a week or 2 then I got bored of it... Same goes with geshin impact though I stopped playing for another reason... It's because it takes too much of my time and I want to do something else other than playing the game. I want to read novels, watch anime, doing my assignments and so on. Maybe I will install Geshin Impact back once I'm on holiday, free from university life

Havisu and Bad Storm like this.
  10. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've played Warframe for about 6 years off and on

11. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Next patch, they would add the 3rd region, Inazuma.

Personally, I loved the start of genshin. That's when I felt most in love with a game. There was world-building, random puzzles, chests, random things you could collect. I like the exploration part of it. At the current endgame, all you would do is wait for events, farm stuff, build characters etc. Less fun part for me. The game is lacking in repeatable endgame content compared to other games. That's one of the reasons why a lot of old players also quit. They got tired of waiting for Inazuma. And the patches and events didn't fascinate them enough.

It's a single player game though, I advice not rushing. Explore at your own leisure.

There are so many games I wanted to try. Warframe is one of them but no pc.

12. Devil Heart

Devil Heart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I forgot I played a game WitchSpring, there were 4 version of it. This is a paid game. I played the 2nd,3rd WitchSpring cause it was beautiful. It was sooooo beautiful, I just LOOVVVEE the storyline, the characters, the cute beast companion
    I don't remember when I found WitchSpring but i think it's already a few years

WitchSpring is the only game I paid for it. The 4th is still on my tablet, i only played it a little bit cause I don't want to play it when I was busy so I stopped and hold it until I'm free.

Bad Storm likes this.
  13. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha I understand the feeling of holding a game until you can binge it. That's how I mostly feel with the games in our ps4.

Devil Heart likes this.
  14. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    Genshin is one of the games I truly enjoyed playing.. Also dont underestimate my power, I played Persona 3 for 3 years straight while challenging the multiple difficulty.

Lol also I played mobile games, Million Arthur for 4 years straight. Candy Crush Soda has been playing for 3 years as well. Empire Puzzle & AFK Arena for 2 years.

15. YoriMei

YoriMei (ㆁᴗㆁ✿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Not consecutively, but I played MapleStory for about 5 or 6 years in total I think? What would draw me back is flashy skills/new jobs and nostalgia honestly. I still listen to maplestory music.

16. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been playing Elvenar for I think 3 or 4 years now. It's a low stress city building game with no PvP at all. Lots of things you can compete with others on, but the ranking rewards are way less than the milestone rewards, so no need to get worked up about them. They have a good mix of events that they rotate through, they also keep releasing new chapters not long after I finished the previous, but I think it's the lack of PvP that's the main reason I'm still playing. No need to worry what's happening while I'm offline, and no need to even care that there are P2W players I can't beat.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  17. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    In multiplayer side,

I used to play vainglory for about 2-3 years before that thing went downhill. (For anyone reading, the best patch ever was 2.8 were everything was balanced and viable even with Reim being first pickable. Patch 3.0 was a mistake and the only good thing that came after patch 3.0 that I loved was Malene and Silvernail (specifically, CP Silvernail))

I have also been playing Underlords since release (which too was abandoned by the creators. Am I perhaps cursed?). Nowadays I only play like once a month. It is a fun gam but with no updates, it gets stale if you play it regularly.

I also play tf2 once in a while (only started playing it since lockdown though)

18. iSoothsayer

iSoothsayer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ive been playing wow since late burning crusade, around 13 years or so and havent really stopped bc no other mmo tickled my fancy yet - palia looks kinda fun, perhaps i get a beta invite

19. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    I have been playing aoe 2 for 11 years by now with like 5000 hours of playtime

Havisu likes this.
  20. unlucky

unlucky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsleepless: Vietnam flashbacks to that one year where I only played CK2 for the entire year.
    let it be known that even single player games can drain your life away.