Discussion playing a game for years

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Bad Storm, Jun 13, 2021.

?

Ever played genshin? Did you like it? Why or why not?

1. Yes, I tried it and liked it.

30.5%
  2. Yes, I tried but it just bored me.

11.9%
  3. Nope, didn't even try coz it didn't seem to be my cup of tea

13.6%
  4. Nope, I would like to try it but I have my misgivings

18.6%
  5. Never even heard of it

5.1%
  6. Gacha games are evil!

28.8%
  7. others

5.1%
  8. *noms skullie*

16.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    The first MMO I ever played was World of Tank (WoT)..
    I played before even World of Warship, WoT Blitz, Warthunder, or the same game concept come out. The best thing about it is (because it still is, even now) how even a potato pc can play it despite how great the graphic is.

Back then I used to have Intel Core2Duo and only Ati Radeon HD4500, and was able to play WoT. Even when I got to Tier 9, my favorite was always Tier 2 tank, iirc the name of that tank is T18. Its hard for me to lose when I use T18. Some people call T18 as broken, OP tank that should've been in Tier 3, but T18 only great fighting among Tier 2 because it's armor are strong against most of Tier 2 guns. It's gun can 1-hit-KO paper-mache tanks, as long its not Tier 3 tanks. However, the reason it's not Tier 3 is because it's one of the slowest early tier tank, and can be easily outmaneuver. It's armor only strong from the front point, but when shot from the side or rear, its almost paper-mache too. It's hated by newbie because it is one of the hardest tank to use, but I love how much it potrays the image of being a Tank Destroyer.

I stopped playing after the game became so much pay-to-win. They started to introduce Gold Shell, which each of these shell are paid with money. They have so much more damage, penetration, and can even burn your tank like a HE bullet does. Wtf? 3 type of bullet in 1 single shell? That's so broken. The game then started to be very boring. You are having a great fight, then suddenly 2 guys came loaded with gold shells only. Gg.. and so I stopped playing in 2016 iirc.

I never bought myself a tier 10, because the way tier 10 is played just disgust me. Tier 9 still fun however.

While playing WoT, I also got to know about Visual Novel games and started to play a lot of titles .
    My first VN I played is Wanko to Kurasou. I like the stories a lot.

I pretty much got addicted to VN. But since I can't play it on public due to *ehem* safety reason, I started playing Skyrim (crack though) and got into it a lot. I used to have a lot of wild lizards as pet, so the dragon in the Skyrim pretty much fulfilled my inner desire in pursuit of becoming lizard myself lol. It was so fun, can you believe I only started to use skooma after I killed Alduin? I was that noob hahah, I never even watch tutorial whatnot, and just follow whatever quest asked me to. Then I started to want play it with friends. How fun it'll be if I can play multiplayer of this game. I bought Elder Scroll Online, have a feels of it, and it doesn't feels skyrim at all, so I stopped in just a day.

Then I started playing MMO again, but this time its MMORPG. Weird, I don't remember what it's called, I remember not being so good in it, but I still enjoyed it, and that my friend's characters surpassing me by a lot of margin in just a month I stopped playing because of study. In the end, I felt like I am being left behind and dragging my guild (the guild my friends made) mates. So I stopped playing.
    Then in 2016 I remember Overwatch being released and started to have interest in it, but my friends who played it (they are even participating in eSport tournament, and even got sponsored and all) told me to try familiarize myself with hero shooters game first using Paladins because new player can feels overwhelmed and stopped playing at all, Overwatch is pretty pricey and it's a waste if I buy it and stopped playing because its not my cup of coffee.

And so, I followed my friend suggestion and started playing Paladins. And wow boy I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed paladins. I makes a lot of friends, played lots of matches in a single day, have a lot of laugh.

So I bought Overwatch. Since my gf at that time (not anymore) played Overwatch too (more like, I wanted to play Overwatch because I wanted to play with her lol), and she use PS4, so I bought myself a PS4 and bought Overwatch for PS4, silly thing was that this is all so that I can get to know her better.

And yeah, I really do get to know my gf (not anymore) true face. She's what we all will call... Well i don't know what the correct term, but probably attention seeker? Gold digger? Game whore? idk. But she's been cheating on me with players that are good with Overwatch, because she herself is bad at it.

My friends who are overwatch pro player warned me about her before but I just diss it thinking it was some rumors people who didn't like her created, cuz she have lots of haters. Idk why she's hated before, but now I know. She's been whoring, sending nude to some of the good player from other countries.

We broke up before I knew about this though. She told me to play by myself first because her level are apparently high, and if she played with me I would definitely have a hard time against old players. I agreed and play by myself for few a month, trying to make friends online and oh boi, no one even speak up in the game every single match, even though I've been trying to make conversation or even match discussion. Yeah, I've been playing alone for a whole month. They never talk, only got toxic after losing the match and then leave the lobby. Wow.

After a month, my gf (not anymore) dumped me. Her excuses was how I was too good for her, how our soul doesn't resonate and all lol. I felt so depressed that time that I told my friends about it, and that's how they started to talk what they know about her.

I thought they're joking around to cheer me up, or giving me white lies, but they showed the reality to me when they invited me to a discord server that belong to that oversea player that my ex have been whoring to. And yeah boi I am disgusted by her. My male friends don't really care about her, but all of my online female friends are disgusted by her since long ago, because apparently she only play with guys and never girls.

Overwatch don't have crossplay, so I thought my friends can't play with me, but fortunately, all of my friends own consoles too, and while they plays seriously on PC, they also play on console for fun. Wow what a loaded peeps.

So they set up a sweet revenge for my sake. They played on the time my ex and the people (yes, not singular, but plural, because it she's with lot of guys) she's been whoring with, will be playing.

And I without knowing it, was in my friends party. I thought it was a casual game they wanted to play with me. But boi, we got to play 4 matches with my ex that day. Weird is that while my friends are pro player for pc esport, they're even better than those "good" players my ex been whoring to. We completely crushed them every single game. My friends even recorded it and posted on my ex's fb profile to spit on her for being such a whore. Wow so salty lol.

At that point, I don't really care about that girl anymore, its a past so I don't even care to take revenge or anything anymore. But what I know is that, because of what my friends did (that sweet revenge, and making her viral in a certain overwatch group), all those people she's been with have left her. And she blamed it all on me.

Wow I don't even try to do this revenge, but i am grateful that I have lots of online friends that cares about me so much.

After that I bought Overwatch on PC because I want to play with my friends.. unfortunately they can't play much anymore because they've graduated college and started working . Yeah, I was few years younger than them, and yet they never treated me like a kid, they treated me like a little brother.

So I played alone again, tried to make some friends, got some friends, but never get close etc.
    Got to know about overwatch community. And got to know how toxic they are lol.

Overwatch is not bad, it is very good game..... but the community, is so bad, so much that I believe that Paladins community is much better. They almost never communicate as ally, the only thing they will said are just toxic words. If they ever communicate, they only do so with people they know. Its hard to makes friends if you are alone or new in Overwatch.

I enjoyed Overwatch, but I enjoyed Paladins more because even if you went solo, you can just talk to people. Its hard to find a game that have no people talking at all.

The ironic thing is that, I played Paladins in order to familiarize with the hero shooter game, for the sake of playing Overwatch. However I stayed in Paladins even now because how much I enjoyed the community.

My friends said I as a flank, and as someone who just started to play overwatch, I am an above average player, and its really hard to imagine I just played Overwatch just for a month, so I can conclude that I am quite good I guess?

But well, I played alone a lot, and I have to learn everything myself. Watching youtubes, forum and all..

And because of this history, I knew how lonely it is to play an online game, solo, without any conversation. It is fine if it was a story driven game, but it is not in this multiplayer game.

So whenever I went solo, I would play a bot match to guide new player (in Paladins, you'll be playing against bot until you got to level 5, and most new player didn't know this). I would go to bot match, try to chat with anyone who's not a bot, and then try to guide them. If they're want to be guided more, I would make a party with them and teach them in bot matches etc. I have raised a lot of people from level 1 to level 150. Some of them are so skilled that its hard to believe they're new player, but they're certainly not smurf either, so I would party with them and play a casual matches instead of bot matches because they can endure fighting with lots of level 500 and above.

Oh wow I end up talking about bad love story here lol.. what a ride
    There's lot other games I played, but the fact I don't remember probably because I don't really get into it much.

I really love Horizon Zero Dawn, its so good that I finished the game in just a week. And dayum I was so good at this game, I think. Can't wait for sequel to come out.

I also used to play Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links a lot. The best part of this game is that you can play it in mobile or pc. And both can be synced easily, meaning you don't have to start all over again from scratch.

But I stopped playing when I started to see how much pay-to-win this game is. It such a pity, I enjoyed it so much too.

Nowadays, I would play any games my friends are playing, if I don't like it I would stop, if not I would continue playing. Some required to be bought, some are free-to-play. I almost finished Dying Light (bought the game with all dlc from steam sales, 80% off ma boi huehuehue).. probably will be buying the sequel too if they have nice discount.

When I don't have anything I feels like playing, I would just open paladins and play bot matches. Recently there's so much new players in casual matches, holy f, how tf a bunch of players with level 10-20 got into a match against 5 stack of level 500-999?? Umm Hirez? Please fix not only rank matchmaking, but also casual matchmaking. Don't you feels sad for these bois that started to learn this game?

P/s: if you also played paladins, why not drop me your ingame name (ign) maybe? Maybe we can play together.

Also, I played in SEA server.

Edited:
    World of warship = fun but not as much as WoT. Stopped playing

Apex Legends = fun, i can probably get into diamond rank, but I'm not interested in rank. I just play rank to avoid cheaters. Please let me stay bronze lol. Still playing occasionally, or when I got friend to play with.

COD Warzone = Fun. But too much sniper orz, even though i myself love to snipe too. It will be hard for new player because you'll be playing against people who have grinded some nice accessories, while you don't even have scope. But bear with it, it'll be worth it later on.

Age of Empire 3 = just bought this because a friend from paladins said he always wanted to play with friends, and he's basically a loner. So I gonna try this later. I love Red Alert so I hope this one can give me the same vibe.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  2. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a filthy casual mobile player who prefers to watch Let's Play YT videos than try out games herself. 2-3 years ago, I tried out my first gacha game (Food Fantasy), joined a casual guild, found I got the Guild Leader status out of the nowhere (was it because the prev one quite and I was the most active member?), and played for a year. It got disheartening when I realized how fast the power creep was, and so many new Food Souls were getting introduced even though the current ones were barely fleshed out. Also, the ranking events to get a copy of the UR/5*s were intense. (I remember being salty about not getting Mapo Tofu even after I spent money)

After leaving (and dumping the Guild Leader status on the next most active player lol), I switched to another gacha (A3!). This time there were a set number of charas so with time you only get to know and like them more, and you can save all your gems for your favorite boy's ranking events. The events for the most popular charas were a bloodbath lmao; I was lucky my favs were somewhere in the middle in the popularity polls. I got bored after a year (again) because the stories felt so...basic, and the only thing I looked forward to were more banter between the boys.

Genshin Impact is my third gacha. 6+ months later and I'm still having fun farming artifacts, trying out new team compositions, and doing events. I don't see myself quitting for at least another year, especially with 5 more cities + archons to come~

Havisu likes this.
  3. Beren

Beren Holy Saint

Reading List:
    Link
    I played wow, warframe, and other MMOs for years.
    I don't like looking at play time on my steam account ... I missed out on so much sleep.

4. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    most mmo didnt bind me first was age of conan with 2-3 years active playing
    WoT i will hit my 10th aniversary this year thought i play far less than in the early years
    now an than abit of world of warships (wows) or STO (Star trek online)
    had several browsergames i played for years but didnt logged in for like 18 months now

AoE3 was the weakest part in the series if you ask me the HD versions or remasters of 1&2 are far superior

5. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to play Otome games for years until I lost interest. I’ve been playing Mandrake Boys for five or six years, though. I started playing within the week the global version came out and never stopped.

iampsyx likes this.
  6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I played Adventure Quest for more than 10 years, with some breaks here and there (I'm currently on a long break).

I just liked the gameplay and I liked the story... That was enough for me for quite some time.

Then I got involved in the community and that is kinda what kept me going for a much longer time.

Honestly, I think the main reason I stopped, was because most of the old members of the community that I was close to left. Now I don't have much attachment to it anymore, so... It felt less engaging than it had once been.

iampsyx likes this.
  7. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Genshin's really fun!!! I can definitely see myself playing it for months and months, not only because of the game, but also because you guys are playing it too!!

But even before, I would go back to games that I had lost interest in simply because... idk, I just feel nostalgic? Childhood games like Animal Jam and Howrse, I've gone back to at some point or another years after I quit out of boredom, and... yeah. :blobsalt:

iampsyx likes this.
  8. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    < At first, I want to play.

< But then learned it's an online gacha game.

< With an Iron Will, I told myself.

< No, thanks.

9. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I've played several games for years at a time. And because I gave those games total dedication during their time, I really haven't played many games overall.

It started during college (1985 I guess), I got addicted to a game called Empire played on our mandatorily purchased DEC Pro 250 computer. It was a port of some other game which I can't remember now, but it was essentially a very primitive version of Civilization. It had a significant detrimental effect on my grades. I continued to play it for a few years after I got out of college until I amassed $3K+ (!!!) to buy an low tier 80286 PC computer. So around 7-8 years of play time.

With the PC, I switched to playing Civilization (1) where with my addiction, I learned the limits of my bladder and how long I can ignore it yet still be able to waddle to the bathroom without involuntary spillage. I played it for 3-4 years until a friend suggested I try Diablo. I really needed a break from Civilization, so I dropped it.

I played Diablo and continued with Diablo II for about for 3-4 years until Starcraft came out.

And I got addicted to Starcraft. Just playing as single player though. I played very defensively, so I knew I wasn't any good with PVP. I was never able to finish the Brood War expansion, though. The 3rd to last campaign was very difficult for me and I was never able to win the 2nd to last campaign. I was only able to get through it once using a cheat code for additional resource multiple times, but it was only ONCE. I couldn't repeat it even using the cheat code again. I played Starcraft for around 7 years. I haven't tried Starcraft 2 yet.

Then came my "main" game. I became aware of it when few webcomics I followed had some sponsored strips for City of Heroes which had just launched. My brother's birthday was coming up, so I got him a copy. I didn't realize it was an MMO with a subscription cost !!! Well, we tried it out anyway. After 2 weeks, I had to buy my own copy. It just blew my mind. I dropped everything for this new addiction. I played it for 8+ years until the publisher NCSOFT, out of the blue, fired the entire development studio and announced the game was shutting down, 2 weeks before a scheduled massive content update to the game! I'll let you know that during my 8 years with the game, I played for an average of 40 hours a week, plus around 20 hours a week on the official forums. And that was on top of my regular day job. I spent sooo much money upgrading my computer hardware, including just getting my 3rd replacement computer just a few months before the shut down announcement. The game was dead for 6 years until the players known as SCORE (the Secret Cabal Of Reverse Engineers) released into the world their working server code so the game could be resurrected on private servers. Just in time as I had recently retired. I've been playing it for an additional 3 years now.

During the time COH was dead, I tried a few other games such as The Secret World and Eve Online, but none really kept my interest except for Path of Exile (a Diablo II clone). POE keeps the game fresh with regular content updates, so I've played it on and off for around 8 years, but it really can't hold my interest for long.

You may note that Diablo/Diablo II and Path of Exile are the only ones I didn't say I was addicted to, yet played each them for many years. Maybe it's because they aren't strategy games and had a linear story line? I don't know.

10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm mostly online games if we talking about years cuz the problem of having console for this cat but this cat mostly retired from online game on 2014 only occasionally touch some game for fun~ most of time this cat play on internet cafe cuz this cat play with friends~

CSO, 2 years? mostly on/off session if not perhaps more if we count hours of gameplay it was busy time~ nostalgia of CounterStrike game, zero interest for GlobalOffense

Lost Saga, retired 2015~ tbh with premium hero and gear this cat lost interest~ only use it as dress up on last year if playing the game~ beside trolling people around with combo of musketeer, infantry and sapper~ ranged hero specialist~ only spend money for buy cosmetic stuff such as female gender (default hero is male which imo boorish looking), hair style, face, dance perhaps?

Point Blank, retired on 2014~ poor management which too much bias for buying gear with real money~ lack of anti cheat system~ tbh freemium player almost dead community~ heck there was time this cat snapped challenge money warrior players from this cat regular internet cafe using only basic stuff limitation~ this cat totally genocide most of them~ teamplay mostly on disaster level~

DOTA 2, 3 years it mainly for reminiscent from DOTA~ mainly support role~

for offline GBA emulator~ FF original, FF Tactic Advance, Super Robot War OG 1 and 2, Advance War 2, Harvestmoon: More Friends at Minerals Town (Cliff is this cat husbando da best one, fight me!), FF IV, Fire Emblem : The Sacred Stones (EirikaxSeth.... the doujin R-18 is dream cone true!)~ this cat rotates those games since long times ago~

11. zetsuen_dark

zetsuen_dark [blue is the color of distance]⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    i played quite the number of games lol so i'll only list some online games
    1. Warcraft III
    - I played it since I was 5 on my mom's laptop... really liked a lot of stuff there... the campaigns, the fun game modes, and dota...
    2. Heroes of Newerth
    - I got introduced to this when I was around 7-8 by my older cousins, played for a year before stopping.
    3. Dota 2
    - Played since ti4, I still occasionally play dota 2 until now... (there's no escaping from it XD)
    4. League of Legends
    - Quite unclear when I started playing, but definitely somewhere 2015-2016, still playing it 'till now.
    5. Hearthstone
    - Much more recent, played 2018-2019
    6. Brawlhalla
    - Picked this up somewhere 2018-2019, still playing it until now.
    7. Genshin Impact
    - Played it as it came out, reached AR 32/33 and stopped playing.

12. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I spent almost 10 years on a mmo strategy game on facebook, it was kind of shitty with p2w and crap.
    But it had massive battles that could last for weeks or even months because just about any player could keep piling in with reinforcements, so it was addicting in trying to find strategies and the teamwork to win those.
    Other than that Path of Exile is probably the closest for me as I've been playing it on and off since 2012.

13. gangbuntu

gangbuntu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    villager n heroes - a year + now.
    an mmorpg without pvp.
    many players "older" than me there.

a few enjoy the story, but most afaik would just blindly follow the wiki.
    there are many trolling quests n a few trolling maps.
    if u read Kono Sekai ga Game da to, Ore dake ga Shitte Iru and wondering "if such game actually exists, would anyone play it?" this one is close.
    some players would hunt for bugs and share them with friends; usually accompanied with a warning "don't let the devs hear about it; or it might get fixed"
    walking through wall, entering unfinished map, a way to "harvest" boss drop (the dev heard about this and their solution was to remove the boss)

14. sealteam14

sealteam14 Your friendly HI3 SEA monkey farmer

Reading List:
    Link
    Fancy you asked this.
    As a monkey who a 4 years Vet in Honkai Impact, keep up with the game Hardware requirements ain't easy. But i sunk over 4 years on 1 games, and as soon as i heard Genshin came out? Oh boy.

And i keep daily grind ever since. It's not like enemies are hard to deal with, it's just those whale with their repetitive cycle of "this is too OP, pls add more hard boss" and "this boss is too hard, pls nerf", i.e Azdaha raise middle finger for 1-shot team.

And then i stick with Warface since it came out... Until 2020 when our local server got shut down ( basically dead games because 'not popular and hardware requirements is high' kind of situation, and a year prior, no new update came close to Warface INT), so i kinda drop FPS. Before that, i was arguably your best PVE/ Survival support player you can get... as long as you don't make me goes against my role in the team that is.

So, i can say once i invested in a game, i stick with it till the bitter end.

Though my first repetitive grinding is from Galaxy on Fire 2. I sunk in total over 4000+ hrs in it just to get all the items in the right number, that include consumables and loots. And kill count on the edge of 6 digits ( a few hundred more and imma cross that out).

Kek.

15. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been playing the destiny franchise since the beta release of the first game and that was like 2014.

I've been replaying golden sun on the gameboy for at least 10 years now though.

16. osieorb18

osieorb18 Queen of Sugar

Reading List:
    Link
    Video-game-wise probably Final Fantasy and/or Cave Story? I recently went back to a flash game I played in high school.

Traditional-game-wise I have a lot more.

17. amilhs

amilhs Moon Walker

Reading List:
    Link
    I play

18. osieorb18

osieorb18 Queen of Sugar

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, and Genshin-wise, I just can't do gacha games. I find them dull at best and unpleasant at worst.

19. IRandomGuy

IRandomGuy ohhh, custom title...

Reading List:
    Link
    Aside from the random flash games from back in the days, the first game I'm 'invested'(time-wise, always been a F2P) in was Spiral Knight.
    Spiral knight was a fairly simple dungeons hack & slash, just movement control, weapon move-set tied to the weapon itself. Gear can be crafted & a player base economy, also a premium(?) currency, but it still tradeable with in game currency, and still player base too(doesn't realize how weird that was til later when I realize all other game premium is either from given in pitiful amount in special event or just straight up cash). Customize guild/clan building. I had a lot of fun playing that for a while (year? 2-3?)with my siblings until the site/portal we play it from close down access to SK. Spiral Knight still exist on steam(and probably other place since cross-play, but not cross save), but after losing all our progress, none of use want to start a new.
    I think it was around 2013 (vaguely remember yasuo, braum, jixn login screen) that I start on league.
    Was playing that when my siblings not on SK. They never really like league. It was only when SK closing that really start to spend more time on league. Been playing mostly ARAM and special event up til now. I occasionally play ranked, but I really miss the whole 'playing whatever you want' mentally and just decide not too these past years. Now I just play a random game or two in pbe every few months, unless urf.
    One of my sibling pick up Warframe when they when to college, invited me, I didn't pick it up then since I was pretty obsessed with league at the time.
    A year or two back I picked it up, really like it, and stuck with it til now. In a way, it was Spiral Knight 2.0 for me. Hack & slash. Player economy. Customizable guild.
    Honestly, I think I just move from a space knight isometric hack/slash/shooter to a space ninja third person hack/slash/shooter.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  20. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I still play Ace Combat 6, now going on 14 years after it's release. quite a few other games that i've been playing off and on for ages.

in terms of mobile games, coming up on 3 years playing Azur Lane in December and 2 years playing Arknights since launch in January.