Discussion Have you ever dropped a novel for d*ck like reason and knew it?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Emissary Nouvelle, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You sound like me when I'm too lazy to raise my voice, or too lazy to get up and eat, or too lazy to walk quickly to wherever I'm going. Hello fellow practitioner of the Lazy Dao.

2. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    The only way I could see dropping a novel being "dick-like" is if someone recommended it to me saying it's his favorite book, and I read 10 chapters and stop reading just to tell him he has terrible taste, finishing with a book drop instead of a mic drop.

3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I dropped a novel because the translator's anti-piracy measures annoyed me. Does that count?

Deleted member 283793 and asriu like this.
  4. cyahorizon

cyahorizon New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only time I ever dropped a novel was when I genuinely couldn't comprehend the direction it is taking. But if it is entertaining, well, I'll be in, as long as I can tolerate it.

5. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I dropped Don Dresden which in reality is a good quality fanfic about Harry Dresden founding of Hogwarts. I was almost finished but I just wasn't hooked, not cool/epic enough. All Dresden does is go on minor adventures, refuses sex with Winter Queen even if he can't use The Ways coz of it(fast travel), his reasoning is ok...I guess, you don't deal with Fae and get the good end of it. I don't want the MC to fuck every powerful sexy woman he meets like in some edgy fics but this was a bit frustrating.

6. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup I've dropped renegade immortal after about 1300+ chapter because of a reason like that.....

7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    or the click ads stuff or just because of QI pick it up lol cuz most of it quality suck~

8. Greenmachine835

Greenmachine835 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Loli lovers are pedos in disguise

FRL why did our mc have to become such a bitch(also romance sucks)

I have dropped for reasons like that before

Maybe I am a jackass but I drop when I read about mc saving the damsel or acting like a simp.

Maybe I am a jackass but I drop when
    I dropped that one cause mc was a asshole and flirted with other females but got mad if it happened to the FL. Also the author deleted my comments when I pointed that out

9. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont see the point in this normally you behave towards others not to yourself

your d*ck move cant hurt anyone but yourself (if you miss a story you like and quit for "reasons" )
    if you wont regret dropping it your reasons were valid for you
    besides that dropped, skipped or on pause are rather fixed decissions you can change your mind anytime and continue

as i said before i dont get such internal strife only you knows there isnt any external "shame" if you change your mind other dont know what you read, what you dropped, why you dropped it or if you changed your mind

or do you play strange punishment games with yourself?

10. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    I literally drop most novels where the MC dual wields. I hate dual wielding with a passion. I don't think it's cool and no novel has ever given me a satisfying reason for using dual weapons beyond 'two swords make attack too fast to block', which is not a good reason in novels that have fights which are just hurling a single strong attack at each other repeatedly until someone dies.

11. Emissary Nouvelle

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol. I never regret anything I do. Since I'm the one who did it. If I ate a hamburger and thus have no room for some chicken wings. I only have myself to blame. Don't regret the hamburger though. It was still delicious even if I did. You can't change the past so I just have to,suck it up even though the wings might've tasted better and were still warm.

12. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    are there reasons ? as long as the weapon is strong enough, or the mc is strong enough, or his skill is high enough the kind of weapon doesnt matter and should mainly be about what the author think is cool
    once i read a novel where the my kill his enemies by snipping around boogers ...

if i think about the novel i read swords are rather generic, hammer(s) are a rare weapon choice, axes/polearms/helebards almost never happens, while spears seems to be "in" 1h and shield ? cant remember any novel with that
    for japanese authors katanas seems to be the promised land

13. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Mostly because I know quite a bit about weaponry and combat and as far as I know, dual wielding gives little to no benefit in real combat. Of course, this is referring mostly to things like dual swords. If it's something like a sword and dagger or butterfly swords I don't mind. So really it's because once I see a character dual wielding I can really only see them as a child swinging sticks shouting about how cool they look. Again, especially in novels like xianxia where martial arts and combat styles are largely irrelevant in favor of a chain of unconnected big moves.

14. HentMas

HentMas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For a D*ck reason? perhaps because I found the TL notes annoying... but that was just once (and it really was annoying, it was peppered in between the whole text of the novel with every single innocuous little thing the TL thought about that part, at that point just have your own TL corner or something after the text)

Regarding plot devices or the actual construction of the Novel? I can endure plenty of things because I tend to separate my feelings from what the characters are doing, I may dislike what someone does or their train of thought but I understand they are not me so I don't imbue my feelings or project my self in them.

Perhaps... when the author forces the humor of a novel by having his characters become dumb regarding specific things and drags the development to keep on hammering the same joke over and over again, I definitely drop it and write a harsh review complaining about that kind of thing... but I don't think that's a "d*ck" reason... (Like "world of Otome games is though for mobs" where the MC literally becomes the beard of the lesbian romance after volume 3 and doesn't develop anything till volume 6 and it was very VERY dumb how the author used it to make a joke out of him)

I think most of the novels I've dropped are because I simply lost interest in them...

15. Emissary Nouvelle

Reading List:
    Link
    dual wields? that a first. Which novels are you talking about?

16. kurokitsune8

kurokitsune8 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this post brings out one of my biggest pet-peeves, and I hate that I can't get rid of it. I absolutely won't read a novel or watch a show or anime that involves musical instruments or anything that revolves around the music industry.
    If you ask me why? I too have no idea. It could never get into those stories, I tried to but I failed.
    And I think its one of the most ridiculous reason to reject a novel/show/anime.

sEnD hElP :((

I do this too, but I get back to it after about a year or so...lol

Oh yea, I hate when their are grammatical errors, I always put the novels on halt and try again later. I agree it can get a bit annoying.

otaku31 likes this.
  17. babybb

babybb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dropped a novel when MC was described to have purple hair. Like naturally purple hair. Irritated me to no end.