Discussion NUF Goodbyes

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Anra7777, Jun 14, 2021.

?

To Goodbye or not to goodbye, that is the question.

1. No goodbye

26.4%
  2. Goodbye, no explanation

9.4%
  3. Goodbye with explanation

50.9%
  4. Other (please elaborate in comments)

13.2%
  1. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m being a bit of an insomnia hamster tonight, and I was thinking about all the people who have disappeared from NUF over the years, and it got me to wondering: do you, all people who have been left behind, feel better if the person leaves without a goodbye, leaving you to hope for their return; if they say “goodbye” but give no explanation as to why they’re leaving; or if they say goodbye and give an explanation, whether it’s something simple like “I’m tired of NUF,” or something heavy like “I’m dying.” Or something else all together?

For me, the worst goodbyes have always been no goodbye at all. But I’ll admit, even I have grown tired of places and just stopped showing up, no explanation. NUF means a lot to me, though, and I hope that if I ever do have to or choose to leave, I say a proper goodbye. (Watch me turn into a hypocritical hamster a few years from now. :blobsweat_2:)

What are your thoughts?

2. Emilyl

Emilyl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think people generally plan to quit? I think it's good to say goodbye, but I think such a thing would require the person to have the intention to quit rather than just not showing up anymore, if that makes sense

3. Tangshu

Tangshu Lady Of The Wind ☁️

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd rather a goodbye with an explanation. I honestly think it's just plain rude to leave without any goodbye or just saying something.

Lurking, Bad Storm, Anra7777 and 2 others like this.
  4. CadmarLegend

CadmarLegend one and a two and a bing bang boo!

Reading List:
    Link
    I like people saying goodbye and at least giving an explanation. It at least lets me know why they quit.

Lurking, Lissi, Aquaa and 2 others like this.
  5. Almaa

Almaa The Fool

Reading List:
    Link
    That is if you have friends. If you don't have friends here, it'll be the same with or without goodbye :blobtired:

aShinyVaporeon, Lissi, ahkey and 9 others like this.
  6. Deleted member 283793

Deleted member 283793 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually haven't been that long on NUF, but on any site, what pains me is people leaving without goodbyes. As they previously said, maybe they don't plan on leaving, but looking at accounts that the user was active on the day before but quit so suddenly makes me feel a void in my heart. Like feeling nostalgic memories with a person I haven't even conversed with:blobconfounded:

7. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    What if you never really left in the first place?

8. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    idk about on NUf but a few of the novels I read in the past the translator or project head just..disappears and while I don't like forming connections with ppl in general(i prefer to keep them at arm's length) I always feel bad when they disappear without a word. it always makes me worry that something IRL was so bad that they just abandoned their projects, fans, and friends online :blobsad:

I'd prefer a goodbye with or without explanation just so I know they are alright.

9. die4jingshi

die4jingshi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont mean to sound insensitive.
    our NUF identity is similar to an online gaming profile - self-created, whimsical, and nearly anonymous.
    sometimes you get too busy in rl, or go to back to schooling, or just decide to finally get a job.
    not that you were really planning to leave forever. but you never seem to get the chance to be active again.
    by the time you wish to say goodbye, the friends you've made seem to have moved on as well, so saying goodbye to people you dont know feels meaningless somehow.
    and so like ashes (or pixel bits) you fade away in silence...

aintg, Shizukani, Lurking and 7 others like this.
  10. Eternal Emperor

Eternal Emperor SelfAware-PieceOfShit

Reading List:
    Link
    The best goodbye is a promise of reunion in the future~!

iampsyx, Traveling Chef and Anra7777 like this.
  11. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    Let them retire in peace
    Why make some goodbye announcement if they can back sometimes later

12. Keiko Ayano

Keiko Ayano Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, if people leave NUF but still use NU then it just means they don’t wanna talk to you anymore.

aShinyVaporeon and Anra7777 like this.
  13. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I always assume the people I know on the internet will just disappear suddenly some day. I also make sure to leave the things I'm doing in a state where I could disappear at any time, since that's what I plan on doing in every single group. Never say goodbye.

14. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes, you would never know. There may come a day where someone could log off, and it became the last day that they logged in.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  15. Shadowhawkstar

Shadowhawkstar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They could be like me and just be too lazy to relog frequently. I log in once a week at best now but still read my novels. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who does this

16. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm:hmm::hmm::hmm: I think I'd disappear in a few months/days to never come back and that's why I've limited my activities on nuf... So that even if I leave nobody would care...
    And tbh I don't think I'll ever say goodbye or something even if I leave... It'll be quietly and in a way nobody notices.....
    :blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:

17. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    If you actiely choose to stop NUF, then a goodbye would be better. Especially following the pandemic, seeing all the deaths in family that I have seen, I have begun to appreciate goodbyes.

18. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends if I even notice them disappear... Most people just fade out of existence. It starts with less interaction with me, then decrease in overall activity, then turn to complete disappearance. If that's how it is, i guess I'm fine with no goodbyes, you could foresee it in a way. But if it's an abrupt disappearance. My curiosity would bother me because there's no explanation, no rhyme or reason. In that case, a little explanation would be appreciated.

19. albeldayuia

albeldayuia Can't-Re Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes you just don't expect that you'd never show up again, for some reason or another, not realizing that you've logged in less and less, or something come up and you can't log in anymore, at least, that's my experience about withdrawing from online spaces

Anra7777 likes this.
  20. Miercing

Miercing deep crimson shall descend from heaven

Reading List:
    Link
    what is NUF?
    I mean, I really don't know what NUF is

Anra7777 likes this.