Resolved Read Wuxia old novels of the 60s

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Iccang831, Jun 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Iccang831

Iccang831 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anyone here still like to read 60s wuxia novels such as Jin Yong's Condor trilogy, Gu Long's Chu Liuxiang series, or Liang Yusheng's Thian San Warrior Series?

I found a lot of 60s wuxia novels on the "cerita silat indomandarin" site. Unfortunately all the translations of the novel are in Indonesian, but recently they made an innovation by adding a translate feature for various countries and the results are quite good to read. I think this is a good thing for old wuxia novel fans. because it is very difficult to find wuxia novels from the 60s and below that can be read in English

Sproutling and asriu like this.
  2. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    A couple of the more famous classic wuxia novels have been translated and can be found online They're actually among the first novels listed on Nu datewise.

AliceShiki likes this.
  3. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Blitz, emiliers and aShinyVaporeon like this.
  4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    ah that site, iirc wuxia at Indonesia use hakka dialek so the name may lil bit different to international audience~ that site also contain indonesia original martial art story on wuxia style or something similar~ brief looking... wow so many old title, nope this cat know some of the title but that really old but which lost long time ago~

nagasasra dan sabut inten..... damn! they find treasure!

5. Iccang831

Iccang831 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for the response, apparently there are also those who follow the development of the classic wuxia novel.
    I have found several sites where there are classic wuxia novels that can be read online in English, but the novel archives are incomplete. For example, for Gu Long's Chu Liuxiang series which consists of 8 novels, usually there are only 1 or 2 novels from the series.

Thanks, this is really helpful for this thread
    Yes, you are absolutely right, wuxia novel adaptations in Indonesia usually use the Hakka dialect, so the title of the novel is slightly different from the original, but the plot of the story remains the same as the original. What I like about this site is actually because the archive of the novel is very neat and makes it easier for us as readers. the collection of wuxia classic novels is also very complete, there are about 400 titles of wuxia classic novels from the site.

Ahh Nagasasra and Sabukinten with Mahesa Jenar as the main character, one of the best masterpieces by s.h Mintardja apart from "api di bukit menoreh".
    I forgot to tell you the site link, here's the link: https://www.cepatsilatindomandarin.com/2020/05/kumpulan-cersil-mandarin-dan-indonesia.html
    To see the translation feature you can see here:
    for desktop : http://prnt.sc/153fqon
    for mobile : https://prnt.sc/153fx8w
    I hope this helps :)

6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I rather watch the dramas.

The only one I read was incomplete

7. Megatron

Megatron Decepticon

Reading List:
    Link
    I've watched all of em in drama form. Really like the TVB ones, used to watch them with my grandma back in the days. Too lazy to read it now that i've spoiled myself. Favorite series has to be return of the condor heroes and crimson sabre. I'm pretty sure there's a pretty modern translation of Smiling proud wanderer somewhere on this site

8. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've mostly switched to webnovels, but before then I read a ton of older wuxia novels. Of the three big writers, Jin Yong's position is completely unassailable. Everyone reads him and everyone copies him. You can see his fingerprints in a good 70-80% of Chinese webnovels and his books get more TV adaptations than anyone else by a long shot. And all of this is well deserved as he's one of the greatest Chinese writers of all time. I've read every Jin Yong novel multiple times.

Next is Gu Long and he is very much a mixed bag. A lot of the time his prose can be just godawful and I found his philosophy so detestable that I actually stopped reading his Chu Liuxiang books. That said though, there's still a certain charm to his writing so I still mean to go back and read more of his work.

Last of the big three is Liang Yusheng, and I find him the most straightforward of them all. There's a certain flair to his books but I've always found them hard to get into. I think it's mostly his prose that I just find hard to parse. The biggest thing about them is that after reading one of his books, it feels like I've read just about all of his material as I need to.

Do note that most wuxia novels on NU are mislabeled. Readers here don't have any idea what wuxia actually is so it's common for any book that has prominent mentions of martial arts to be considered one. It's also common to see threads complaining about elements in wuxia novels and for the OP to quickly reveal that he's never actually read any wuxia before!

9. All The Wrong Novels

All The Wrong Novels Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, the few older wuxia novels I've read so far I've enjoyed more overall than more recent webnovels. I'm curious to explore further and see how the genre evolved over time.

10. Iccang831

Iccang831 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As previously stated, this classic wuxia novel from the CSI website uses the Hakka dialect so that the title of the novel is different from the title of the English novel but in terms of the story it is still the same.

Below I have equated the title of the novel in English with the novel's link on the site, although not all due to my limited knowledge of the original title of the novel. You only need to use the translation feature on the site to read the novel in your country's language. the way is like in the screenshot that I attached earlier

Jin Yong:
    Condor Trilogy

Standalone novels
    There are also several novels that are still related to the Condor Trilogy but were written by Sin Liong.
    The Story Before the Condor Trilogy
    The Story after The Return of the Condor Heroes
    The Story after The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber

Gu Long :

Chu Liuxiang series

Lu Xiaofeng series (Pendekar 4 alis)
    Seven Weapons series
    The Eleventh Son series
    Little Li Flying Dagger series
    A Graceful Swordsman Series
    The Remarkable Twins Series
    white-jade tiger Series
    Standalone novels

Liang Yusheng:
    For Liang Yusheng's novel I had a hard time finding the title of the novel in English, so I decided to use the original title and translate it into English.
    Thiansan Series
    Tong Dynasty series
    Dragon Series From the South
    Standalone novels

I Hope This Helps :)

11. dougod

dougod Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you, this is very helpful:aww:

12. Sproutling

Sproutling We are the Sproutlings

Reading List:
    Link
    My comrade *hugs*, I thought I was the only one who loves wuxia in this forum.:blobsob:

13. Iccang831

Iccang831 Member

Reading List:
    Link