Question Someone stole my work

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Agentt, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Agentt

Agentt Loves cats and pats and my wife

Reading List:
    Link
    So...this thread is made on the behalf of @CadmarLegend
    He is a translator of https://www.novelupdates.com/series...o-i-decided-to-make-bricks-to-build-a-castle/

So what happened was that some guy on Webnovel stole his work and is publishing as his.

How do we know that it is stolen, and not just two people translating the same book?

Well, Cadmar is a bad translator, one of the worst. He is so bad, reading him might give you stroke. If you read him, you will be like, "Does this person even know what he is doing?"
    Hence, he made a lot of mistakes in his translation.
    And the same mistakes were also found in the webnovel version.
    Same with his Translator's notes. They too were copied.

He has reported this to webnovel for now, but their mods aren't known to be quite just.

So, any thing he should do?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    There's nothing to be done aside from reporting it AFAIK... Maybe you can also send a DMCA to them actually, but I'm not sure.

Either way, you can get the people from webnovel to take it down. This is not without precedents and those situations usually are solved after a while.

Deleted member 314196 likes this.
  3. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Down with QI! :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

Snowbun, Sutad Aatma, otaku31 and 4 others like this.
  4. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    Did Cadmar agree to them posting his work on another website? If not, see if they respond in a few days, but if they don’t respond, there’s nothing you can do besides reporting.

5. Agentt

Reading List:
    Link
    Orz! :blobcat_knife:

Mind explaining those terms for a newbie translator and his friend?

UnGrave likes this.
  6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hey @otaku31
    there you wish~
    nyahahaha!

otaku31, Agentt and c3ltic like this.
  7. Thraximus

Thraximus Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    AFIAK - as far as I know
    DMCA - Digital Millennium Copyright Act
    The poster above you is basically saying that you may be able to file a DMCA claim, as in report them for copyright infringement.

AliceShiki, Lissi and Agentt like this.
  8. Agentt

Reading List:
    Link
    He didn't, and he did file a complaint, but didn't recieve an answer

9. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did he have an agreement with the original author or their publishing house? If he didn't and the other person does, QI won't do anything. It wasn't uncommon for QI to have already translated chapters copy-pasted onto Webnovel by their recognized new translators in the past. There's a few threads on NU crying about such actions.

kkgoh likes this.
  10. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its a CHINESE owned website, so its to be expected for stolen works to be in WN and for nothing to happen as stealing and lying is what chinese do best. Even if you complain, sent DMCA, show evidence. Nothing on THEIR side will be done.
    What he can do aside from this, is that at the start, the middle and at the end put 1 short line saying that this is a stolen work.... AND he can use WN fkng censorship against him. If a writer in WN uses some forbidden words and characters (a lot about xi jinping), their novels are deleted by the system or are "Hidden" (shadowban) for the "unity of china bs" ehehhe, i dont remember the speficics or the words right know but it happens quite a lot, so the thief will break his head open trying to understand why his stolen chapters keep getting deleted lol, give him a huge headache. IF he wants to keep posting stolen chapters, he WILL have to edit them lol.

11. Agentt

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, Cadmar is just translating the raws.

The other person claims to be the original author, but his works are just a translation of many authors, so that is dubious.

Ara, this is quite helpful. I must ask @AliceShiki for some no no words

12. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing you can do if anything gets ‘stolen’ because fan translations are already theft of the original author’s works. Whether it is reposted or translation sniped, we are all thieves here.

Agentt and kkgoh like this.
  13. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    If he’s just copying and pasting it add in his name or website randomly in his version so people will come across it and realise

Agentt likes this.
  14. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agree with @Alvastar @lygarx , this complaint is pretty pointless.

The 1st translator unlawfully translated the author's work, which is now copied by another translator and posted on Qidian/WN (which I'd assume actually pays the ORIGINAL author some royalties).

There's no honor among thieves. One pirate ripped off another.

Agentt likes this.
  15. Jaspaaar

Jaspaaar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the translator wants their work to be removed, they need to send a DMCA notice to the email address listed on the website's footer. If they don't know what that involves, they need to Google it.

A DMCA notice is a formalised legal process which involves the complainant attesting to owning the content under penalty of perjury. A standard site report doesn't give any substantial reason for the recipient to believe that the complainant is truly the owner of the content, so it's unlikely to result in any action being taken.
    This is false. Speaking from personal experience, they're slow, but they do comply with DMCA takedown requests.
    Morally you might have a point, but legally, no, the translator owns their translations and is wholly entitled to exercise that ownership to prevent them being used elsewhere against their will.
    This isn't what's happening; it's not an official listing of the novel on Webnovel, it's a random reader pretending it's an original novel they've written, not a translation. It isn't monetised, and Qidian doesn't even license Japanese series.

AliceShiki, Lissi and Agentt like this.
  16. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't checked WebNovel, am just going off entirely on what OP mentioned.
    Can't be bothered to check either ... it's such a crappy site.

All I know is according to OP, there's a "translator" who copied his/her friend's translations, claimed to be the original author (apparently a lie), and that work is now being displayed on WebNovel. i.e. it's a case of a fake translator who might possibly be paid for translations that weren't done by them.

Sutad Aatma and Agentt like this.
  17. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know dozens of author who complain regulary that theh have stolen works on WN. The longest from more than 2 year ago and nothing happens. Maybe they do comply to some for whatever reason if you hit WN door enough.

Agentt likes this.
  18. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you try filing a complaint to their host instead of QI? The timestamps could be used as proof for your claims.

AliceShiki and Agentt like this.
  19. Agentt

Reading List:
    Link
    Oi! @CadmarLegend come here

20. CadmarLegend

CadmarLegend one and a two and a bing bang boo!

Reading List:
    Link
    I am here~

Thanks for writing this thread, @Agentt.

Anyway, I think I'll report it, but when reporting a story on WN, there's no 'it's copied!' choice, so I am at a place where I'm going to ask again for more advice... >.>;

And although I am technically pirating it, I at least give credit to the author in the description/some chapters and I don't have any sponsered chapters or such. However, the webnovel guy hasn't even given the author of the story any credit. I also included the raws in the description for readers who like reading them, but Tom, let's call him that right now cuz his username's Thompson, hasn't done even that. His description has the same 'this story is about' as me but then he cuts out my excessive 'THIS IS A FAN TRANSLATION'. On a side note, maybe I should make an email for any complaints to proceed through to me? Such as 'if you have any complaints, please email [email protected]'...

The dude cut out the author's name from the description, wiped out the link to the raws, and deleted the japanese name... then he adds a little 'this is a translution' in the end without proper grammer... I'm really annoyed about the weird 'u' in translution... and even though he says that, Tom didn't give the author any credits beside copying my translation notes... and he might be making money off of it. Sure, I know that there are some other sites using my translations (I'm not oblivious to it) such as this one: [​IMG]
    but it is merely linking the chapters to my SH page.

I think I'll report the story (multiple times if needed) and also add in some of the 'no-no' words at some point. Would probably annoy the heck out of the person. I will also probably add in my name at some point. Thanks to everyone who replied!