Discussion Ever sneak a look at the end of a novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Isaac20, Jun 6, 2021.

?

Would you like to read the end of the book before or in the middle of it?

1. No.

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. I never do.

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. That's stupid.

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Yes.

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  5. It's one of my bad habit.

16 vote(s)
    23.2%
  6. Yes, I do it once in a while.

28 vote(s)
    40.6%
  1. frrama

frrama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends somewhat on the length/genre of the book in question, but generally I like to find out what happens in advance (not just with books, but all types of media), because if there's going to be a lot of content that bores/annoys me, I don't want to invest my time into actually reading it! Ideally I'd find an online review that spoils all the major plot points, but failing that, yes, I will more often than not look at the end before I read the beginning.

...On a couple of occasions this has led to the ridiculous situation where I'll read the end of a book, be baffled by it because I lack context, skip back a few chapters to see if I can make any more sense of it, skip back again... repeat a few times until effectively I've read the whole book, back to front. :confused:

TheBookEnthusiast and Isaac20 like this.
  2. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    Am guilty your honour but its more of just a reassurance for me usually or a motivation for me to finish the book so I could understand wtf does the last page of the book that doesn't make any sense for the current me mean. Eh it's just up to you really if you'd take a peek or not but then again taking a peek doesn't mean you've read the whole book lol so I don't think there's anything wrong.

3. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup... Have done it with almost all cn I've read till now..... To know if the ending is satisfying and not a harem ending

4. babybb

babybb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybes it’s just me but when the plot starts to get angsty or it feels like it’s headed towards a BE, I check the spoilers to see what to expect. :blobupset: So I guess sometimes I read the ending before actually finishing, but it’s only so I don’t get that ugly gut feeling when I come across an unexpected BE.

5. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't care very much about the plots in the books I read so there's very little incentive for me to peek ahead. And when it comes to books I like, doing something like this feels like cheating the author. Stories are crafted a certain way in order to deliver a certain type of impact. Breaking the sequence will ruin the effect so why subject myself to an inferior reading experience. Besides, most of the books I read are historical novels and all I have to do to find out the ending to these is to look up what happens.

Isaac20 likes this.
  6. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Me when I see 'tragedy' tags in novels or when I see a love interest I don't like and want to know if they will end up together which I would then drop the novel

Leier likes this.
  7. zetsuen_dark

zetsuen_dark [blue is the color of distance]⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone with anxiety, yes, I do end up looking at the end of a novel more often that not. Same thing happens with movies/shows. It's not as bad as you might think ngl

8. LogAlly

LogAlly Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've done it many times. Not only Novels, sometimes I also do it with Animes and Web Series. Mostly I do it because a few stories get extremely repetitive, so I get bored and just skip to the end. But, due to this habit I've also spoiled some good novels for me . I try not to do it as much as possible

9. Dr_H_16

Dr_H_16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Vaguely harem story.
    Those who had pretty good writing and plot, giving me hope that they wouldn't fall off the cliff, and... get splattered.

10. Suranchan

Suranchan ♥‿♥♥‿♥

Reading List:
    Link
    Always! Can't help myself¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    There's few stories that I have read where I haven't done this. And that's ignoring how often that I've skipped around the story for. And, for most of the few exceptions, I couldn't do this due to them being webnovels that's latest update was too close to bother skipping ahead for. That is to say, they were less than 10 chapters long when I started. It's even ignoring the number of stories where I haven't read vast swathes of the story due to skipping around, which is how I read 90% of Cultivation Stories (because they just drag on, and are surprisingly easy to follow even when you've skipped the last 50 to 100+ chapters, so long as you have the basic groundwork from the beginning of the story).

12. Sha.1

Sha.1 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If someone doesn't mind spoilers I don't believe they don't do this lol

13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    plenty of ero wn~ mostly ntr one for da sake is da ending sad, broken, bittersweet, or just too damn weird~ but consider this cat recognizes some author its not really a surprise~

as for published book nah~ this cat is fast reader so don't mind thick book~

14. iris__

iris__ Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As for me, it depends. Like if the first chapters attract me or i really like i don't really look for the ending. But if the start is just so-so i peek at middle of chapters or the finals ahead so that I could know if I should drop or not:blobpopcorn:

15. Leier

Leier Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same here.
    Did that with Court Lady, I am interested but I am never going to read Tragedy.

16. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to read the end of my goosebumps books because I couldn't handle the suspense. I also used to play all games on easy mode with cheats.

These days I don't even l like watching trailers because of spoilers, and if I don't play on hardcore ironman I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

17. NoLongerTheSame

NoLongerTheSame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do it. For me, the destination is always just as important as the journey. Especially those novels that are over 1000 chapters long, some authors just love pulling a rick roll at the end, and that never feels good.

18. northerner

northerner a stressed potato

Reading List:
    Link
    I always do this when I feel that the novel is going down the drain by only reading the first few chapters. If it has too much face slapping scenes at the start I would jump chapters to know what would happen next. I don't want to waste my day to read one trash novel for a day. Better to know the ending just to satisfy my greed to know how the villain ends up.

I remember reading a famous trilogy in Wattpad 3 years ago. I tried reading the first novel but I could foresee the cringe and heartbreak there, so skipped to the ending. Then proceeded to the second book. After crying until my eyes can't open, I read like 15 chapters, I skipped to the ending. Then I read it backwards until I reached the chapter where I skipped. I proceeded to the third book, I did the same thing as the second book. Less heartaches.