Question what is the first BL novel you've ever read?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by efo, Feb 21, 2021.

1. aoiisora

aoiisora Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Was a pretty funny encounter for me, honestly I can’t even remember the title of the novel (I read the raws, idk if it’s been translated), but I vividly remembered the plot because I was so confused and lost while waiting for the female lead that didn’t exist to appear ahahahah, I was young and innocent back then...... So it was a story written in the perspective of a squirrel (let’s not talk about why the squirrel had a consciousness lol) who later could somehow transform into a guy, kinda saw that coming. The other character was also male and often left food for the squirrel at the window, which seems all normal and fine. What really got me thinking something’s oddly off about this novel was when the male character (male lead I assume) started hugging the squirrel to sleep at night after it transforms...

I remembered I was so floored, like where am I who am I what’s happening what did I just read......... in the end I got so tired waiting for the female lead (which obviously didn’t even exist??) to appear so I dropped it LMAO

Well back then, I knew that BL existed but it didn’t occur to me that I’d be reading a BL novel ahahaha okay but looking back I did it to myself, I clicked into the BL section thinking it was normal romance (the genre is very misleading LOL, it’s written as 纯爱, which translates into “pure love/romance”, but it can also refer to BL novels, which I later learnt).

After that I kinda read as I went along, one of the most impressionable BL novels I’ve read is this one called 《逆神[快穿]》, published on JJWXC, which translates roughly into “Against the Gods (Quick Transmigration)”, check it out if you can, it’s good wink wink :blobsmirk: hahahaha, it’s not translated yet though

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    grass_is_tasty, qpzmal and efo like this.
  2. Magwayen

Magwayen Sedated

Reading List:
    Link
    I only read (past tense) one ever. It was Quickly Wear the Face of the Devil. Not sure if I got the title right. The plot made me stay and the intimate scenes didn't make me go oof so it was a 10/10 for me. But I probably won't reread.

qpzmal and efo like this.
  3. kores

kores Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's either I’ll Still Love You Even If You’re a Man or Are You Addicted?. I don't remember. For the first one, I didn't finish yet.

qpzmal and efo like this.
  4. dailily

dailily Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quickly Wear the Face of the Devil

efo likes this.
  5. LinXueLian

LinXueLian Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Surprisingly, it's a web novel I found aeons ago back when people still hosted their content in their own sites like Geocities, etc. It was an OG BL novel written by someone and posted in their own domain, one about guys who had wings, lived in the skies and who would routinely attack towns and villages to capture human guys to marry, since human guys were the only ones who could bear their children.

The winged ML actually dies protecting the MC, who has to live on and find another mate. It was so dramatic.... :sweating_profusely:

But the novel that was a gateway to Wuxia/Xianxia/cultivation novels for me is still MDZS! I ended up reading all of MXTX's works - Heaven's Official Blessing and SVSSS are tied in terms of how much I love them! Shen Qingqiu is very easy to relate to. He's such a smartass but secretly likes to pamper others, LOL :blobxd:

efo likes this.
  6. Yakinori

Yakinori Human

Reading List:
    Link
    I've first known of Mo Dao Zu Shi but SVSSS is the first danmei I've ever read.

efo likes this.
  7. Ami273

Ami273 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Scumbag villain's saving system

efo likes this.
  8. nightbutterfly

nightbutterfly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    None

efo likes this.
  9. Poptart

Poptart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Saaaaaame! Absolutely twisted, but great.

fox23 and efo like this.
  10. Poptart

Poptart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/hua-hua-you-long/

I read the manhua, but it didn’t have the ending, so I read the novel too. This was when I was really young. As an adult, I can’t really tolerate it now. I still love it though. It’s definitely not a happy or even healthy love. It’s really messed up. 10/10 writing nonetheless.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    fox23 and efo like this.
  11. Jimcarson

Jimcarson New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Heaven's official blessing

efo likes this.
  12. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    Wasn’t a novel but . 19 days was the first ever BL I read it was really good

efo likes this.
  13. THISBRO

THISBRO Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mine was, unfortunately, Cold Sands
    I was not prepared at all.

efo likes this.
  14. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    omniscient reader

dropped it cus it made my hair stand

some people say it's not BL

but it's clearly BL.

the definition of BL in japan only needs the love to be subtle and it's the better definition imho

but NU might have a difference definition and it's fine, just like it's harem tag where you have a harem cus you matched on tinder and it doesn't matter if you end up together or not, or if it's a one sided love.
    remember, as long as you have matches on tinder, you have a harem according to NU.

efo likes this.
  15. bingpupschewtoy

bingpupschewtoy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure mine was Scum Villain's Self-Saving System. I saw tons of fanart for MXTX works online and decided to try SVSSS just because it was the shortest of all her works. Ended up being my main fandom to this day and dragging me into danmei hell

efo likes this.
  16. Deleted member 283793

Deleted member 283793 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I was against BL even though I am what one would call a straight woman. The reason being, I felt it was such a waste to not have a FL with a loving and handsome(possibly rich) ML. Haha:blobsweat_2: But now that has sorta changed. Fluff is fluff and I am gonna get diabetes anyway, so who cares about the source?

So my first BL was Reborn with an Old Enemy on the Day of Our Marriage, and I breezed through it. Zheng Pingqing was just a lovely marshmallow. And the couple made my heart scream. But I believe my proper first one would be Bite Your Fingertips, because I made sure to read properly and not skim even slightly.

efo likes this.
  17. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some short chapters, I dont even rmb.

efo likes this.
  18. kurokitsune8

kurokitsune8 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same as yours :)