Discussion Help me please!!!!!

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Anvis, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Anvis

Anvis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello everyone, I like to read novel and I am the same like every one but i have a bad memory and I think other people also have bad memory, let me start my problem is that I forget the character in a novel or get mixed up with characters, so I write in a book about every character and I filled my books about names of characters and there descriptions and it ruins my experience reading the novel. So I will ask why don’t they make like a special page for the characters and there descriptions.

2. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe you should do that for the books you read and send it to the translator/editor and ask for it to be be attached? I also forget characters, but honestly it's not very important to me. Maybe you can start the great webnovel wiki ;p

3. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Some translators do write a character description sheet. But my personal philosophy is: "if I don't remember this character, they're probably not important" :blobbunny:

IceLight303 likes this.
  4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    it depend on type if story~ really~ typical xuanhuan or xianxia only few character worth to remember (personal opinion)~ on intrigue, killing each other harem of ancient time, there few characters and have deep impression although their name kinda bothersome~

most important point!
    it pain on da butt to create character sheet~

5. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do the same thing! I have a huge cache of text files for almost every book I read, written with notepad++. It's practically impossible to remember who anyone is, especially in cultivation novels. It definitely detracts from my enjoyment of a story, but I found myself dropping too many novels because I just had no idea what was going on.

Now it's a simple search through a text file to remind me of who is where, where is where, what is what. It keeps me appraised of the plot and stuff, so even though it's a chore and a bore, it just impossible for me to just read a book and know what is happening.

Honestly, this is more of a webnovel issue. When you read a published novel, you already have the entire book with you and you won't have to come back the next day, or possibly even the next month for the next 5 pages of it. After reading dozens of chapters of dozens of different stories, you will not be able to keep tabs on it all.

Some stories do have their own glossary/fan wiki, but I have nfi how to find that in chinese, so I have to make my own. Well, that and the sheer obsession some fans have with putting spoilers into wiki pages makes me avoid them like the plague. My own style is currently at this style

Name of Novel
    My impressions of it or why I dropped it (don't want to forget about it and start to read it again if it's trash)
    -------
    all the names of gods
    cultivation realms or w/e
    notable races/heroes/items etc
    -------
    planet/realm
    >kingdom1
    >>city1
    >>>family1 (mc fam, owners of a bakery or whatever
    >>>>parent 1 - [dog realm, 2nd level] black hair, green eyes. looks like a gorilla and hates blueberries
    >>>>parent 2 (dead) - killed by bakers across the road?
    >>>>>children (mc is usually here)
    family2 / royals / town guard / adventurer's guild etc, all that stuff

It's time consuming but becomes second habit, and it's nice to be able to reference things. Either I do this, or end up getting lost.

6. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually do make a page for characters and such (mainly for my own use, to remember how I translated titles and sect names, etc.), but what I've found kind of annoying about this is -- how detailed do you make this page? And what if the character appears like hundreds of chapters later? Do you still add them, or would that be a spoiler? Because there's always the risk of writing too much information on the page and spoiling new readers to later developments in the novel. But if you write too little, it becomes useless as a resource. So, it's tricky.

Best thing probably is just to make your own. It also helps you keep track of where you are in the story, if you're reading something especially long too.

7. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Woahhh.... that's so much work

I think I just wouldn't read if I had to put in that much work for every novel >.<

I really admire your dedication!!! :aww:

novaes likes this.