Question Novels into epubs

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by UnGrave, Jun 15, 2021.

1. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Saw another thread asking for pirate sites that turn novels into epubs for you, to which a user responded that the translator should provide that to you. However, how do most translators make their epubs? Can't do it in Microsoft Word. Google docs also seems to lack that. Does everyone just use Calibre or something?

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly feels like a total waste of time to me... I don't even see the purpose of the epub format in the first place. I'd much rather use a PDF if I wanted to read something offline.

I imagine there are some online doc>epub converters though.

3. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    Some extensions compatible with open office or libre office can make somehow ok epub easily...
    But calibre conversion from a well prepared doc, docx or odt and fine tuning with sigil will get you the best epubs.

4. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just use Calibre (a docx -> epub conversion) and edit with Sigil if I'm not too lazy.

Also, epubs are nice for phone reading since you can change the font size and everything. I typically use pdf on my computer and epub on my phone.

aintg, Uncopyright and FranckOA like this.
  5. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never used it before, but I'm seeing an option to export as an epub on Google Docs. No idea how much this would/could affect the formatting of my files though.
    upload_2021-6-15_16-38-22.png

6. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I use an extension called [censored]. The only problem is that it has to be tailored to a site for it to just work. It does detect many though.

I like EPubs because after you create them, you can edit it by unzipping the contents and then using a text editor to fix the issues.

7. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    The main advantage of epubs over pdf is text size scalability and page layout fluidity : Pdf is a rigid and protected format so reading text from an epub will be more confortable for a wider variety of screens and devices.

Uncopyright likes this.
  8. raitei

raitei ⟪Procyon lotor paronomasiaabsentii⟫

Reading List:
    Link
    Epubs have advantage of responsive layout over PDFs, which can give you adjustable and comfortable reading on many portable devices.
    PDFs have static page layout, so in some cases in portable devices, particularly in small screens, you have to zoom in and out repeatedly if the PDF creator only set the layout fits for document to read the whole texts.

9. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    There is also the fact that epubs are just zips with XML index which make them a pretty decent alternative to pdfs

10. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    So uhn... Essentially, in the epub you can make the letters bigger without needing to use zoom?

That seems... Well, I guess it's practical to not need to scroll the page left and right all the time due to the zoom.

11. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I like epubs for many reason mainly making letter bigger and dark mode help too, but I also edit some novel because the author seems to have forgotten about the space bar and enter on his keyboard and we end up having to read a wall of text.

12. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    There are several ways. At their very base, epubs are just zip files that contain a website (it's a bunch of html/xhtml, css and image files, and sometimes audio and scripts). You can always just try to make them from scratch following the protocol (it needs either a contents.opf or a manifest.xml file for it to work, though).

I would suggest using Sygil, a free software that allows for creation, editing and customization. It's relatively simple to use and you can just make some Word documents, save them as html files and then import everything.

Another way would be to use the "Web to Epub" browser extension on your own site.

UnGrave likes this.
  13. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can also edit the text a bunch of different ways, such as easily changing the font color and typeface, the background color (easy dark/light mode switch!), etc. With PDFs, if you don't like what the creator did with the fonts, you can't really do anything about it, but with epub you can customize basically everything about your experience.

EDIT: An example of one of the PDFs and EPUBs I made and how they differ:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No font face changes since I made the original (LOL), so I clearly like Georgia, but you can if you wanted to. You can also mess with line breaks/spacing, etc. All without having to go into the code.

The reason why I usually use PDFs on the computer is that it opens quicker, and I am impatient as heck -- otherwise, I'd probably always use EPUBs. Their versatility is their main selling point.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    northerner likes this.
  14. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    uhh, i usually either source PDFs made by others or use a converter crawler i found on github that makes basic files in a variety of formats including epub straight from the site (and has an expanding list of valid source sites). they're not fancy or anything but they good enough for reading

While i can see the versatility of epubs, i think they're a bit annoying to futz around with on pc. PDFs are easier to use and quicker to open and all you need is Acrobat Reader.

15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess that makes sense~

Can't say I care about any of the versatility aspects myself, but I can see why it would be a good selling point.

... To me epubs have always been that one weird format that I had to download a new reader to read the manga I bought online, instead of just being good old pdf that has been around since forever and that everyone has a reader downloaded, so... I'm a bit biased towards the pdfs... >.>

16. aintg

aintg Fairy Queen of the Demonic Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    I love reading ePubs, especially when I'm on my phone. I think ePubs is basically HTML files compressed into ePub format, so if you have a good understanding of CSS and HTML, you can make ePubs.

But, yeah, it's better to use Calibre and Sigil because it's easier than writing everything from scratch.

17. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    I use Caliber .. works great updates very often and all kinds of formal but cant formal or open .docs But if you work with google docs you can download it as ... wished format and / or use Caliber . its an app by the way great of PC can also change and add things in

people that read on e readers especially kindle use epub more then pdf Amazon has their own epub which is mobi but you can make the letters bigger change fonts and so onne but i think that for manga and images its better to use wel sized pdf because you cant make them bigger at least on kindle most tr/lers dont even mek pdf or epubs thats why people turn to piracy the tlers make it impossible to copy paste to make offline ver yourslef