Do You Like It Slow or Fast?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Yakinori, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Yakinori

Yakinori Human

Reading List:
    Link
    Do prefer romance in novels to be slow-burn or fast-burn? Why?

I prefer slow-burn romance because of the 'falling in love' process and the plot and character development. It's also more thrilling.

aintg likes this.
  2. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I want... mid-burn :cookie:

3. zetsuen_dark

zetsuen_dark [blue is the color of distance]⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    depends on my mood... some days you just can't stand slow-burn no matter how good it is and you just want them to get together A S A P

Spoof, aintg, Rumby and 2 others like this.
  4. Deleted member 300842

Deleted member 300842 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Me too I don't want it to be too rushed or too slow or I'll go mad hehe

Spoof, aintg and Lissi like this.
  5. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I just want to burn. As long as the author doesn't lose their fire I'm happy.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  6. Ahodesuga

Ahodesuga °˖✧Aho desu ga, Nani ka?✧˖° 《Liking Fiend》

Reading List:
    Link
    Slow burn ftwwwww

7. cyahorizon

cyahorizon New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends I guess? Slow-burn is good but it becomes agonizing, especially if you know it is not completed yet. It does pay off (most of the time) in the end so- tis good.
    But there are times when the short/mid burns hit the right mark

Yakinori likes this.
  8. Munimuyi

Munimuyi Chili <33

Reading List:
    Link
    I like both of them~
    But I'll prefer mid-burn~

aintg likes this.
  9. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Slow-burn I guess, but that is assuming it is actually done well and not just dragged out because the author keeps adding annoyingly contrived misunderstandings.

asriu, aintg, AliceShiki and 2 others like this.
  10. babybb

babybb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The chase is more fulfilling than the relationship, so slow burn~ :cookie:

11. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Neither. I prefer the characters to already be together before the story starts.

I hate both will they-won't they plots as well as insta-love. So just give me "already like a married couple" lovers instead and have the story focus on either slice-of-life shenanigans (without drama) or some action/adventure stuff!

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as romance goes, I think I'm usually fine with anything for as long as the story is well-written~

Like, I do enjoy some slow romance that takes its time being developed... But I also enjoy a short manga with only 1-2 volumes that can do all the necessary thingies that lead to the characters falling in love with each other and confessing their love in a timely manner.

I can even enjoy short 40 pages doujinshis that just talks about two characters slowly (or at least as slow as the page count can allow) realizing they're in love~

So uhn... Really, I like any kind for as long as it is well-written~

Yakinori likes this.
  13. kurokitsune8

kurokitsune8 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I definitely prefer love-burns, cause it feels like an achievement when they do get together finally! It's a great feeling!!

14. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On the whole, slow romance is better than fast; at least when it comes to Romance novels. The reason is that most writers don't have the chops to maintain interest for very long after the relationship is fully formed, so it's better to save that for nearer the end. And in general I like seeing a romance develop over time anyways because it allows for much more dynamic relationships.

15. HentMas

HentMas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on the ability of the author to portray "why" it's fast or slow, I've seen novels that I found obnoxious because the author keeps on forcing them to "slow romance" by making the characters emotionally deaf or break common sense, and others where they just suddenly fell in love the moment they saw each other without explanation whatsoever.

But I don't mind a slow burn romance where the author manages to portray good chemistry between the characters, or if it's a fast love about "fate" or other plot device that at least gives them a good reasoning to feel attraction from the start.

16. aintg

aintg Fairy Queen of the Demonic Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    I want a slow burn with an actual plot development, not repetitive conflicts.

17. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    depends on what i want to read at that moment , but mid burn ig , some fast ones have timeskips and i just want to know what happend and slow can be repetitive and not original sometimes

18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooooooooooh, I can totally related to that... Like how in Kanojo Okarishimasu, the two leads are obviously in love with one another... And even if they weren't aware of the other party's feelings, they should at the very least be aware that they're both close friends that care for one another.

And yet the MC keeps thinking about how useless he is and not worth the FL's time and stuff and... Aaaaaaaagh, I ended up dropping after the end of the Movie Arc because I couldn't endure the MC's lack of self-esteem anymore.

HentMas likes this.
  19. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I want the romance to fit the pace and plot developments of the novel and, of course, the personalities and history of the characters.

The worst for me is when it's a fast burn with frequent interruptions. You know, an event where they get much closer, an event where they get pulled apart, typical misunderstanding/dense protagonist romcom fare. Especially common with romcom harems.

I don't mind a fast romance when it's not the most important part of the story, or when it's a harem (yes, harem can have romance). It makes sense to be fast-paced sometimes, like if they're living in a dangerous time and get the suspension bridge syndrome going on whenever the two meet. It's also fun to see a story of what happens during "happy ever after" when people who don't know each other that well fall in love and get together too fast sometimes.

Slow burn romance is more appropriate for a subplot because, surprisingly, if you spend 1000 chapters watching characters do nothing but slowly fall in love, it will get boring after a while and you'll want them to just get married halfway through. It makes more sense if they're gradually falling in love over the course of being in a school club together for several years, while focusing on club activities because they want to succeed at the competition but gradually noticing the reason they look forward to the club is being with each other, but not wanting to bring it up right away because they don't want to disturb the other person's focus. If there's no reason for them to hold off that's important to the reader, it's just annoying.

Mostly, if the romance is the main part I want somewhere in between: the romantic leads getting along better in small ways interspersed with dramatic events that make them more aware of each other as potential lovers.

asriu, HentMas and Nimroth like this.
  20. HentMas

HentMas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha you reminded me of a story where the Character kept "Backtracking" his romance by saying "It's just the suspension bridge syndrome, we're not really in love, I should stop feeling like this in a while"

I really dislike when the author takes a psychology wiki page and pulls whatever he wants out of there to "excuse" his abysmal characterizations hahaha.