Is it possible to steal someone else's phone number to make calls and send messages?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Eishun, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Back in the day, hackers could send out emails using email addresses that belonged to other people.

For example, you might one day receive an email and the address in the sender's bar would be an exact match with your boss's email address.

And then, because you trust the source, you would have no qualms about clicking on the link provided in the message. That was how many people got infected with viruses.

Anyway, back to my question. Is it possible for hackers to steal phone numbers in the same way? I am asking because I've been receiving calls from total strangers and they all claimed that they had received missed calls from my number. Those people weren't even on my Contacts list, so there's no way I could've accidentally dialed their numbers.

So what's going on?

2. MahotsukiKonran

MahotsukiKonran √¶∆℅¥×¶÷π√ ™°℅{^¢¡¿∆ \\£¥^√π¥℅¶∆÷√ ©¢¥®<®]¡¶∆¿

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe it is possible to spoof a phone number. I think telemarketers do that to make you think your getting a call from your area code don't know how much is possible I think I saw them do something like that on a CSI show using an internet call program can't say I know if it is still possible

Sabruness likes this.
  3. sweed

sweed l.o.v.e.m.u.f.f.i.n.

Reading List:
    Link
    Possible for mobile phones but idk about stationary phones.

4. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Scammers still do it with bank phone numbers, etc.

5. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    possible or rather consider it possible . Can't be be too careful nowadays. Whether it through hacking or thieves stolen the phone .

6. Deadmantellnotales

Deadmantellnotales rebmeM nwonK-lleW

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea it's possible. you need to contact the said telecommunication provider of the target. Or you call always buy malware from dark markets like Empire or something, you will find whatever you need there.

7. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, mine's a mobile number.

8. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Google it bruh

9. skyfall3250

skyfall3250 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes it's possible. There was seminar for cyber awareness at my college where the guest speaker even demonstrated it for us. It was 2 years ago through.

10. Munimuyi

Munimuyi Chili <33

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's possible?

11. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's possible. I see some video showing it.

12. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    It is very possible, and is happening increasingly. Someone impersonated me with my number and name and messaged a few of my friends for urgent loans. I don't know how best to deal with this current situation for you. At least for near and dear, warn them.

13. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1 option would be spoofing when the caller use some fantasy number (or in that case yours) to hide their own (mostly for illegal advertisments,survey , call back traps or that nasty indian scammers posing as Microsoft support- once they did 13 calls in a single minute after i called them scammers 5 times before ending the call- they still call 30-80 times a month...)
    another way would be to take over your phone i think the infra-red interface was pretty vulnerable

14. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are a few ways for someone to make it look like they called with your number. The easiest way is to spoof your number on the caller ID. It's trivially easy to do that, and it's illegal to do in some countries.

The second way is to SIM hack your phone. It usually involves using social engineering to get a cell phone company to send a new SIM card to the social engineer. If that happens, your current SIM card will usually stop working, so you'd know pretty quickly if that happens.

The final way is if your phone is infected with malware. If your phone is infected, whoever is controlling the malware can do just about anything they want with your phone, including calling and texting.

Wing0 and Deleted member 25261 like this.
  15. Deleted member 25261

Deleted member 25261 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Is your number pre paid and just changed? If yes, they used it to scam before u get it. If they used to scam while being your, spoofing or virus can be the answer.