Recommendations Origin of Magical and Martial Societies

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Bright_Lucky_Star, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for novels where the story tells how fantasy power society starts, just like The Last Science.

Is anyone curious about the development of magical and martial society? Usually in the novels setting those societies already long-established before the story even begin.
    One of the legends states that martial arts originated with a group of monks and ascetics as a means to defend themselves from the dangerous animals they encountered while secluded themselves deep in the forest or rugged wilderness, meditating in order to seek enlightenment. While ascetics and monks spent their time in the wilderness, they also encounter all kinds of beasts that want to attack and eat them. Even though these ascetics and monks have natural human physical power and some tools as the means of self-defense, they realized that martial arts (as it had existed at that point) was inadequate when compared to the drastic difference in strength and power between themselves as humans and the animals of the forest. During their meditation, they discover mysterious energy that through experimentation can be harnessed to enhance their physical power and senses. They then create a set of physical exercise and training methods to utilize that energy, they gain the ability to destroy a heavy large stone with a mere punch, stomp kick that can create a small crater on the ground, run much faster than top speed horses, and many more abilities. Now wielding that power, they can protect themself and as far going to toe with ferocious beasts that normal humans can't and step into the realm of superhuman that previously unattainable by previous people.
    Soon after their appearance, these monks and ascetics became famous throughout society as martial arts masters because of their powers. In response, many people quickly met them in order to become their disciples. In time, with more masters and disciples appearing, the amount of murim increased, clans and schools were formed and the world of martial society was born.

Change martial artist to wizard and sorcerer with abilities to fire jagged red beams, become invisible, create fireball, flying then it will magical society.
    Only one story I found that tells the cradle of fantasy power society and that is The Last Science by Etzoli.

Oh yeah the legend itself comes from The Breaker series and yes, the story of The Breaker itself starts with an already long establish martial arts society.

2. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAOS
    [​IMG]

o(•́∀•̀ )

3. Bright_Lucky_Star

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobspearpeek::blobsob::blobpoliceangry:

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  4. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    The Demo was actually pretty good pro, lets hope the devs take in the feedback from the Survey! ヽ(⌐■_■)ノ♪♬

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  5. Bright_Lucky_Star

Reading List:
    Link
    @Blitz @SerialBeggar @Bad Storm @ongoingwhy @Gandire Alea @Little Potato @jacobpaige @otaku31 @Bobasis @911 @SylviaViolet @GonZ555 @HamsterOverlord-sama @TaffyGirl13 @Tsuru55 @HavekZero @perspherspley @akki @Viola @NZPIEFACE @AMissingLinguist @hanglekuk @CosmicInsomniac @Tilgarial @oblueknighto @canaria23 @userunfriendly @AbsoluteNothingness @Astaroth @FIEND @chillidude @Uselessdead23 @Lissi @Anra7777 @BumChikiBum
    @Cupcake Ninja @Fooljastic @Raneday @0000000 @Sparteh

bump:blobhero: help:aww:
    Stories that tells the beginning of fantasy power of either martial arts or magical spell casting. The ones who laid ground work, the first mages and martial artist, the first of their kind.

Maybe I phrase my words incorrectly, I search for the Main Characters, the Protagonists, the Principal Figures, the Main actors who start magical civilization or martial arts society or cultivation civilization, the existence of magic,Ki, spiritual power and those Main Characters forever change human history. There's no magic and magical spell before them, there's no one who taught the martial technique to them, there are no people who taught how to wield this strange thing called magic or Ki. Those Main Characters stumble upon magic or Ki and experiment with it thereby creating the first spell and the first martial skill. Those Main Characters/Protagonists are the Progenitor, the Ancestor, and the Predecessor the Pioneers of magical and martial societies. They taught their close relative, their friends, their colleague, their neighbors how to wield magic and ki, how to fly, how to invoke fireball, and other things.
    (in The Last Science tho, the senior members thinks they can make Earth better place with magic, experiment with magic to clean earth pollutions, to provide sustainable energy, to solve world hunger by influence farmlands with spell to give more yield, and many more) magic may change their society than what they used to be.

I still not yet read Original Wizard but a nuffian give striking summary about story I'm looking for.
    Original Wizard : Similar to Throne of magical arcane, but magic doesn't exist in world, only gods do. MC studies gods and their descendants and creates magic civilization from scratch.

I'm sorry if this feels like rant, the type work I'm looking for is so obscure. Also Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    Blitz, otaku31 and SylviaViolet like this.
  6. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually don't know of any such books, now that you mention it. There are many books that explain the system in a very detailed fashion, but explaining the history and the origin of the power itself is something I've never come across. The closest that I have seen till date is probably, "The Godless" by Ben Peek, which offers an explanation on how the powers came into being but it's a pretty different system compared to your standard one. It does have great world building though.

I think I'll give The Last Science a go. It has been lying around in my reading list on Scribblehub since a while. Also, this sounds like an interesting idea/setting to write about considering the lack of similar works.

7. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, I don’t know many stories like this. The only one I can think of at the moment is Rise of the Shield Hero. The history of the world and what not is touched on, but it isn’t part of the core plot.

8. AbsoluteNothingness

AbsoluteNothingness Lumen De Aurora

Reading List:
    Link
    Feels both good and weird to be tagged, the first time for me in using NU.

Though I have yet to read The Last Science(it's in my reading list), I'll try to provide some recommendations.

The one that immediately comes to mind is Divine Throne of Primordial Blood, which probably suits your requirement as it shows <spoiler> how the setting starts from a xuanhuan and slowly changing towards a xianxia. Such as founding sects, creating pills, flying swords, and other many things associated with a common xianxia. Do note that these changes come to take place very late into the novel, about the last 200 chapters of it. The beginning to then is filled with MC slowly overturning the cultivation system of the world from only those with bloodlines to anyone talented. <spoiler/>

The next is Tales of Herding Gods, which similarly involves a great undertaking and revolution of their current cultivation system by MC and a lot of talented others.

Thirdly would be this: 4.6 Billion Year Symphony of Evolution. A warning is that I have not read far into the novel, in fact, have not anything of note of it at all. But it probably has what you are looking for because of its premise.

Next is The Sacred Ruins, this does indeed have the premise you look for but the direction and execution of the novel is in such a way that I don't recommend you to read this, maybe about 100 chapters if you are curious.

-
    Anyway, that concludes all that I know about this obscure and scarce type of work you look for and I hope you find something that satisfies you.

9. Bright_Lucky_Star

Reading List:
    Link
    Not like that, I mean people are just normal humans who do not know magic or inner energy or spiritual energy or Ki in their history, they just spent their daily lives mundanely as villager, medical doctor, lawyer, collage student, merchant, police and any other profession, they just normal human in normal society. One day magic or spiritual energy come out of nowhere then their society change from that time. They are predecessor of magic and martial societies, the first of their kind, the first martial masters, the first mages. The magical and martial societies would not start or even begin without those people inventing magical spells or martial skills.

Yes, it's obscure type of work. It's come from my reading of fantasy novels, who are the ones invented magical spell in fantasy setting? how their journey to spread their teaching? Did they realise that they will change their people history?

Also thanks for recommendation even though they not match what I'm looking for.

10. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    She was called both God and devil or smth

11. hanglekuk

hanglekuk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is not quite exactly what you are asking, but I think Spellmonger series by Terry Mancour explores some of the themes of pioneering.

It is a very long series (planned as 30 books, not including some additional in between some short stories about non main characters).

What happens is human colonist ship randomly arrives to the special planet (which has a magosphere - like magnetosphere). I'm spoiling a bit, but there are established factions on the planet and people not having full information, decided to settle it. People started developing magic talent, they got their own magical system. Then there were some scheming included and human population regressed into middle ages. And there's ongoing upheaval, magical elite re-establishing, etc. I'd say ongoing magical/social revolution.
    Totally awesome story. 14th book from main series is going to be released like in two weeks, so there's plenty to read. . Sci-fi and fantasy setting (very coherent as well, the Sci-fi bits are not quite common for now, but relevant).

12. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    My Senior Brother is Too Steady - The secret of how the world is formed is revealed near the end. How the civilization was formed is closely related to this secret. I can't reveal too much since it's a plot twist. This is a cultivation novel though.

Reincarnation Paradise - The story revolves around the protagonist travelling to a new world each time for missions. Sometimes the author will give a brief summary of how civilization was formed in a particular world. If I recalled correctly though, the amount of times it happened was few and far between. I am not sure whether that fits your criteria.

13. Bright_Lucky_Star

Reading List:
    Link
    @Gandire Alea @ongoingwhy
    Maybe I phrase my words incorrectly, I search for the Main Characters, the Protagonists, the Principal Figures, the Main actors who start magical civilization or martial arts society or cultivation civilization, the existence of magic,Ki, spiritual power and those Main Characters forever change human history. There's no magic and magical spell before them, there's no one who taught the martial technique to them, there are no people who taught how to wield this strange thing called magic or Ki. Those Main Characters stumble upon magic or Ki and experiment with it thereby creating the first spell and the first martial skill. Those Main Characters/Protagonists are the Progenitor, the Ancestor, and the Predecessor of magical and martial societies. They taught their close relative, their friends, their colleague, their neighbors how to wield magic and ki, how to fly, how to invoke fireball, and other things.
    (in The Last Science tho, the senior members thinks they can make Earth better place with magic, experiment with magic to clean earth pollutions, to provide sustainable energy, to solve world hunger by influence farmlands with spell to give more yield, and many more) magic may change their society than what they used to be.

I still not yet read Original Wizard but a nuffian give striking summary about story I'm looking for.
    Original Wizard : Similar to Throne of magical arcane, but magic doesn't exist in world, only gods do. MC studies gods and their descendants and creates magic civilization from scratch. @chillidude

I'm sorry if this feels like rant, the type work I'm looking for is so obscure.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  14. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, sorry. I don't think I've ever read something like that before.

15. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Beware of Chicken could be said to be similar to what you're asking for. Its more like he's developing a new cultivation path that's significantly different from the norm though.

DiXanthos and Bright_Lucky_Star like this.
  16. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like you would enjoy the intro of Dark Souls, though the game starts off at the end of an age.

"In the Age of Ancients the world was unformed, shrouded by fog. A land of gray crags, Archtrees and Everlasting Dragons. But then there was Fire and with fire came disparity. Heat and cold, life and death, and of course, light and dark. Then from the dark, They came, and found the Souls of Lords within the flame. Nito, the First of the Dead, The Witch of Izalith and her Daughters of Chaos, Gwyn, the Lord of Sunlight, and his faithful knights. And the Furtive Pygmy, so easily forgotten

With the strength of Lords, they challenged the Dragons. Gwyn's mighty bolts peeled apart their stone scales. The Witches weaved great firestorms. Nito unleashed a miasma of death and disease. And Seath the Scaleless betrayed his own, and the Dragons were no more.

Thus began the Age of Fire. But soon the flames will fade and only Dark will remain. Even now there are only embers, and man sees not light, but only endless nights. And amongst the living are seen, carriers of the accursed Darksign.

Yes, indeed. The Darksign brands the Undead. And in this land, the Undead are corralled and led to the north, where they are locked away, to await the end of the world... This is your fate."

As for me, I'm not into stories starting that far back. I guess I would recommend The Legend of Randidly Ghosthound. There's over 1000 chapters now. Good luck catching up!

17. Bright_Lucky_Star

Reading List:
    Link
    It's satire and comedy though :blob_grin:
    I have been read it until 20ish chapters or so.

18. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Small question. Why am i pinged ???
    Is there some kind of "button that will create a ping to a random chosen active person" ?

19. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmm. Gimme a few hours. I'll check ye old library's and shelfs for anything like it since web novels aren't ringing any bells...

Perhaps rise of humanity?
    I haven't read it but based on what I remember of its premise. Maybe?

20. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Peerless dad
    Cheonma wants to live quietly
    Nano machin
    Chronicles of the Heavenly demon
    Mages are Too OP
    Supreme magus
    Elite mages academy