Discussion Young Masters and Beauties, will it end?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by dweenator, Jun 20, 2021.

1. dweenator

dweenator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry for the double post, my internet disconnected during the creation process so when it reconnected I was still on the "create thread" part of the site and thought it didn't go through. I just checked and it did go through.

For anyone who has read CN webnovels, you all know that Young Masters are the most hated yet most common villains that our "holier than thou" MCs have to face. They're everywhere, from the mortals to the immortals, gods, or whatever, in short Young Masters galore. (Btw, it kind of bothers me that the only difference that exists between the mortals and those so called immortals and/or gods or whatever name the higher beings are called, are levels/strength. Other than that, they don't really show the pedigree befitting of someone who has transcended mortality. Then again the authors themselves are only mortals)

The thing is, even though our MCs might hate said Young Masters, on hindsight, the MCs themselves are Young Masters too, just with Plot armor. I also sometimes don't like the justification for the MCs turning into Young Masters, stating that if they just bowed their heads a little, they might "lose" their path. Which begs the question if said path is the correct one if a mere touch shatters it. (Sometimes I wish the author would go on the unbeaten path of choosing their battles to win the war instead of brute forcing everything with plot armor)

There is also the thing with beauties, especially the Female Leads. Why can't they just be beautiful, maybe even decent looking. Why do they have to be the most beautiful of them all thereby becoming a plot device for the author to abuse.

How many times can you really describe someone as beautiful without regurgitating the same words over and over again when introducing new beautiful characters and despite that, how is the female lead the most beautiful other than the author stating that they are.

Anyways, I don't really read the "date written" of all novels I read containing the two stated above. So I want to ask a question to the more savvy readers, is this still a trend?(hoping it's died out)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2021
  2. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, I think it only feels ridiculous once you read about such "beauties" over and over and over in other people's stories.

But as an author, I feel like, it's still nice to have a "best of the best, top-notch beauty" in your story, since that's different from other people's stories. Like their stories have one, you can have one, them having one has nothing to do with you having/wanting one... you know? Like why settle for just "beautiful" when you can write a whole paragraph about their facial features? :cookie:

It feels good!! Probably.

3. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats a fair point, my problem with it is that said characters become plot devices which the author abuses time and time again. For example, I'm reading Legend of Futian right now and I celebrate the times when the MC have to separate with the female lead otherwise I know whenever another genius male character gets introduced, they almost always aim for the MCs girlfriend therefore creating conflict.

Btw, I erased this one due to double post.

4. Lissi

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobjoy:Ahahaha for some reason I find that really funny

I don't actually read thse types of novels, since I find that the typical get a beauty -> fight -> get another beauty -> more fights plot that seems common in this genre is awfully boring.

Guess it's part of the collecting part of the harem stuff with these novels? :blob_tilt:

Collect the best of the best! :blobtaco:

5. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    I started out with Coiling Dragon, although the female lead is described as beautiful, it never really became the focal point whenever the female lead was in the chapter. I can't help but compare novels with sensible authors hence my frustration.

6. Lissi

Reading List:
    Link
    0.o well... Coiling Dragon is way more popular for a reason~ :blobsalt:

7. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    It had its bad sides but overall, compared to the most average of CN novels, it's way above in levels.

Then again, can't really expect much from hobbyist authors. I just feel like translators are translating subpar ones meanwhile the really good ones are left hanging.

Then there is also Qidian who has grabbed a lot of novel rights while doing shoddy translations/editions and/or abandoning them completely. I'm still hoping that they pick up Plundering the heavens again at least even if the translation quality is subpar.