Do you as a guy like shoujo/josei? Do you as a girl like Shounen/Seinen

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fictionaddiction, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Fictionaddiction

Fictionaddiction Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a girl I find myself liking Josei / shoujou (when I was younger) but occasionally don't mind the Wuxia novels that are targeted to guys (except when there is a harem that plays a major part in the story) . So I was curious if guys feel the same ? or think female novels are boring? too much romance?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  2. Retro157

Retro157 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm..... I don't particularly mind though, if the story's good then I'll read it whether it's for girls or not.

3. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    I like a long shoujo/josei manga with a good story and ending. And i'm a guy.

Example like Taiyou no Ie, Suki desu Suzuki kun, Jun X Ai sensation and more

4. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    It's more of a meh feeling cause some shoujo stories are entertaining but I'm not a fan of romance so it just depends on the content.

5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but I am very picky and usually tend to go for stories with adult protagonists. Even with shoujo, I don't like long, drawn out stories and prefer shorter ones with not much in the way of drama or tropes prevalent in the genre. I basically like straight romance.

MisterBubbles, sweed and Blitz like this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Exact same:blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone:

otaku31 likes this.
  7. judeiiro

judeiiro radish

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't read it much but the few Shounen and Seinen reads (usually manga) I've had before were pretty good (y) They're like a breath of fresh air (or a palate cleanser) after reading a bunch of the same genres cough too much romance, dogblood, etc cough

8. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i'm a girl and I really dislike most shoujo/ josei. it's hard to find one where the MC and ML are equal partners standing side by side instead of the girl standing behind the guy always being protected, pampered, and treated like a favored child or pet. the dynamic makes my skin crawl.
    I can count on one hand the number of novels I've read on this site with a female MC that I have actually liked, I think there are 4, and one of those doesn't count since she was reborn as a guy.
    give me a good horror, action/adventure, or sci-fi any day (preferably without a crappy harem getting in the way of the actual plot).

judeiiro and ExcitableFoci like this.
  9. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kaichou wa Maid-Sama was recommended to me when I just started watching anime. I didn't dislike it but once I started watching other genres I never really went back to shoujo stuff.

I've read Chu Wang Fei and another well-written work but I liked them as individual works and not exactly the genre itself. While I wouldn't call shoujo/josei novels bad, they simply come across as too boring when the only focus is getting in the pants of the ML. They are great when there's more depth like in Chu Wang Fei (at least during the start of the story), but these novels are few and far between.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to love shounen back when I was younger tbh, but nowadays it feels kinda meh to me... I can still enjoy it actually, but I usually deem it not worth my time.

Seinen... Depends a lot. I need to judge on a case by case basis.

Josei I hate though, I avoid those like plague. They just don't click with me.

And shoujo is... <3
    Long love shoujo!!!! \(^^)/

Deleted member 283793 likes this.
  11. Munimuyi

Munimuyi Chili <33

Reading List:
    Link
    Same thing with me~

12. Deleted member 283793

Deleted member 283793 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahhh! I love shounen, especially sports! I really enjoy watching the protagonists grow to love their sport.

But shoujo mangas will always have my heart! There are times when the FL is obnoxious. In those cases, I just forget about her. But if the ML is a scumbag, then that manga gets dropped.

And I recently found out that there are shoujo sports mangas! I was extremely pleased, because ever since Kimi Ni Todoke, I fell in love with baseball (or rather Ryuu, who plays baseball).

otaku31 likes this.
  13. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, why not? I'm a guy & I've read some good Shoujo & Josei mangas & novels w/ good story before, so if it's interesting then I'll give it a try

otaku31 likes this.
  14. Sproutling

Sproutling We are the Sproutlings

Reading List:
    Link
    I only read some shoujo novel which was not too shoujo-ish. One of the shoujo novel I still remember is Oresama Teacher.

15. NumbaWon

NumbaWon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love both shounen and shoujo. What really matters for me for both genre is how well developed the characters are if the story is dumb or not.

16. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i call it diversification. reading too many of the same genre is boring so i read different novel with different genre often, like a bloody horror novel first, then go to vr games, fluffy romance, face slap vengeance thing, etc etc.

i dont avoid about harem/reverse harem stuff, the only genre i dont like is yaoi/yuri stuff, although i watch/read some of them once in a blue moon

17. lawlogic77

lawlogic77 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i sometimes read shoujo as long the story is good

18. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    I still prefer shounen over shoujo but it's alright ig lol. Sometimes I just read for the art style loool.

19. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than preferring shounen/seinen or shoujo/josei, I would probably be more in the camp of seinen/josei over shounen/shoujo.
    Not that I pay that much attention to which category stories fall under though as there is a lot of arbitrary overlap, since they are just marketing demographics and not genres.
    It is very possible for a story to switch between magazines of different demographics.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  20. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me guess, dominion end?

for me I am the same with @Nimroth. I prefer seinen/josei because they tend to be more mature and complex.

rhianirory likes this.