Discussion The irony of the harem hater community

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Emissary Nouvelle, Jun 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You'd think it was the fanbase that was toxic but nope. It's not the harem fanbase that's toxic but the haters who jump in reviews and comments screaming like old shrews how they hate harem and stuff. I just find it ironic that it's usually the fanbase of a certain thing like an anime is toxic and not the haters of said anime. But with harem here we have a live example. 90% of harem haters are toxic as hell. Expect to see curse words before or after the statement that basically implicitly or explicitly says I hate harem 9/10 times. It's just an amusing occurrence I just noticed as a harem fan myself I understand that some harems have pretty trash writing but that's besides the point. You don't see any of us harem fans persuading people to drop non harem novels but you see the opposite quite frequently. I just think that speaks volumes of the toxicity.

Mr v, GenEriko, Ddraig and 14 others like this.
  2. babybb

babybb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a very adamant non-harem person, I’d like to say that I think it’s very strange to go into the reviews of a novel with the harem tag just to leave a bad review. I dislike harems but it’s not like I’d purposely bash an author for it— they’ve got to make a living after all. It sometimes feels like haters are more dedicated than fans in giving the novel attention:blobjoy:

ZeroXSEED, Mr v, GenEriko and 20 others like this.
  3. Lenux

Lenux Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok? That feels like such a weird rant, they don't like harem because its 'toxic' or something like that so idk whre the hypocrisy came from, they just don't like harem and sometimes act toxic but I never saw anyone defending them or whatever

EUGA likes this.
  4. phreakinsane

phreakinsane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ive seen counter points and defending plenty online.

The harem haters who go around bashing on an appropriately tagged story should be banned.

They're idiots and hypocrites.

Example: I hate ntr, yaoi and yuri. But if something is properly tagged with that stuff I do not get on my soap box complaining that said degenerate filth is in that story.

So, as a decent human, a harem hater shouldn't get on their soap box for a properly tagged harem novel and trash on my particular flavour of degenerate trash.

No double standards and hypocrisy.

5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, haters in general also tend to be toxic, so I don't see how this is a particularly unusual example.

6. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's a proper, reasoned criticism of the harem presented in the novel, no matter how harsh, I wouldn't say it's toxic provided it doesn't devolve into a derogatory diatribe against harem readers or the authors themselves.

7. Siceraria

Siceraria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the closest I have seen of a harem lover fan toxicity would be people who go into the comment sections of non-harem or wholesome stories and rant about the lack of women, or asking why the MC isn't getting/forcing more women with his powers or something.
    Though I'm pretty sure those people are in the minority, since most readers don't really complain whether a story is harem or not.

8. Deleted member 176237

Deleted member 176237 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Imagine going to Tragedy/Horror movie and asking people why the movie isn't funny.

9. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    This reminds me of those who leave 1* when a novel only has 1 or so chapters.

10. lilacalicious

lilacalicious Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the main reason for most people is when they see a perfectly good story is "ruined" by the harem element.

11. EUGA

EUGA The Taco Sovereign

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to get upset when I would read a novel and find out it was miss tagged. These days I just add the appropriate tags and move on. When I see reviews that aren’t reviews and just your general bashing or I hate this or that speech I report them. Try not to focous on them so much it feeds them ^.^

northerner, AliceShiki and Bielt like this.
  12. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Though harem is a genre I tend to avoid, cause most of them are stupid af, but if it's good then I'll stick around.

13. EUGA

EUGA The Taco Sovereign

Reading List:
    Link
    On the subject I thing improperly tagged stuff is way worse. Comments you can avoid but getting 20 chapters into something to find out it has Loli stuff or bl , or Yuri,is upsetting when a simple tag could save me the brain bleach

Mani89, ZeroXSEED, whitespade and 5 others like this.
  14. WeiFish

WeiFish Eccentric Grey Sword 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed. It's like people hating on iPhone and Apple. Personally, I converted from iPhone/Apple products, but there were always a lot of haters who brought up how much they hated it, like Vegans who go into supermarkets and butcher shops to protest. It seems there is a particularly large portion of the people who dislike such things who are too outspoken for their own good.

15. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know right? I feel the same way. But those toxic haters really go all out with their publicity stunts, most of the harem novels I've read are clearly tagged with harem but there they are in the comments and reviews anyway screaming their hearts out in all caps. They put so much passion in their hate lol. Like I said I'm just really amused that somehow it's not the harem fans defending their novels that are toxic but the haters instead are so filled with passion usually novels are tagged so it's really baffling. I can only assume they saw the tags and just enjoy being toxic so they read it anyway just to crap on it. I usually have the attitude "Hey I like it so that's that. You,don't ? Well ok then." But these haters are like cultists trying to convert you to their faith. The type that'll curse you out repeatedly if you disagree with something they said.

Tag or no tag harems are pretty easy to spot by reading, if not check the reviews that's why I like reading reviews to get a overall feel of the story. Personally I read most novels not just harem but I just generally enjoy them more. And in the reviews I spot the toxic haters by the dozen.

Bielt and babybb like this.
  16. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    But a lot of those movies are actually funny

Fictionaddiction likes this.
  17. babybb

babybb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are certainly a lot of very enthusiastic reviews out there… for better or for worse. What bugs me the most is how all those one star reviews mess up the rating, which could all be avoided if people simply read the tags. It’s so silly and unnecessary, but there’s not much to do about it besides chuckle and move on. Oh well, such is life.

aShinyVaporeon and Bielt like this.
  18. Bielt

Bielt 『Planets Eater』『The Sin of Animosity』

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't say I am a Harem fan, but I am also not a hater, i can understand why someone people avoid that subgenre.

I mean first is the ideological side, like 80% of the countries on our time doesn't allow polygamy so many people has pretty biased view against romantical relationships with more than 2 people.

2nd point is I also agree that 9 out of 10 stories with harem subgenre are out right bad

3rd point is most of those stories doesn't properly develop the romantic interest well enough (not saying female leads because reverse harem is also a thing and it has the same problem)

Now that i am done pointing out the bad sides lets point some other things

1st hating everything that has harem is pretty stupid because till about 300 years ago almost half of the cultures that existed on our planet allowed polygamy, so many novels with historical setting or based on ancient story would be not be accurate without it (specially because in some cultures it was seem as a bad thing to have less than 2 marriage partners)

2nd while 9 out of 10 novels with that tag are bad, generalizing is always bad after all in a site like nuf which has at least 5000 novels with Harem you will have at minimum 500 harem novels which are really really good.

3rd while many harem novels doesn't develop enough the characters, some actually do it wonderfully and can beat half of standard romance novels in character quality
    Truly everything depends on the author and the story flow.

Technically you just did defend them lol XD
    Well to be sincere novels whose "main" genre (basically just focus on it) are really toxic, i mean any novel with mc raping the FL or the other way around is toxic in my view be it harem or not
    But like, most novels with multiple romantic interest have harem tag even if they don't end up on a polygamic development, not to mention that some stories with polyamory can be out right cute when well done
    so saying that the genre is toxic is too much right?
    Hmmm
    I agree that many novels don't really "need" that kind of development~
    But well saying it's ruined it's kinda forced right?
    Besides some stories are though out to be like that so not having it would alter the whole story flow.
    That the novel [The simulacrum] for example, it's a polyamory story and one of it's high points is exactly the romantic interaction between the characters~

EUGA likes this.
  19. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    You say 90% of harem haters but the ones you see are probably just a small part of those harem haters. A real harem hater wouldn't even bother reading a harem novel after seeing the tag so i believe 90% of them couldn't have commented on harem novels or leave a review.

Mani89, ZeroXSEED, Dr_H_16 and 7 others like this.
  20. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Indeed

Exalted likes this.