Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Dutchess411

Dutchess411 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    “Don’t Annoy Me, My Ex-Husband!”
    “Love You More Than I Can”
    “You Used to be My World”

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  2. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Two is barely a couple. A "few" would be closer to 5+ <- honestly, the more the better.

And just to make things clear, simply mentioning it once and having no bearing on the story doesn't count.

3. Dutchess411

Dutchess411 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that’s true. But typically, for a romance-tragedy genre, it would usually involve death of loved ones from parents, family, wife and children. For FL, for her to lose her unborn child thru man-made events is very traumatic and would signal usually for her turning point. This would begin her journey for revenge, hatred etc. Abortion is used for fetal loss during the 1st trimester and miscarriage would be used if it’s more than 3 months. However this is only used for spontaneous abortion or natural loss of fetus. For man-made events, it’s usually termed as abortion.

there are a lot of stories with this event, whether it was mentioned in passing or not. I just can’t remember those books that have it which I have read. So I’ll do my best to add it when I remember it or when I encounter it again.

thanks.

4. FelicitaScarlet

FelicitaScarlet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I want to add a new tag which is actually a sub-genre called 'Unlimited Flow'. Unlimited Flow generally refers to the main characters going through different worlds (but not transmigrating) as they try to complete tasks to usually get out alive. Generally, it’s placed in modern times, and the characters have to survive each round that they are forced to play.

Well, here's the names of some novels that can be used as reference as below:

• Insider
    • Card Room
    • Midnight Owl
    • Thriller Trainee
    • I became a God in a Horror game
    • I rely on poverty to sweep through survival games
    • Forces of Temptation

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    LaDyViL likes this.
  5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Use https://www.novelupdates.com/stag/world-hopping/ instead.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  6. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind this. There's a lot others not listed and it can probably reach 20 titles or more.

UF is a bit different than the usual world hopping where you got transmigrated/born there and have to stay for your whole life probably fulfilling mission. UF usually have you dumped in a situation/locations where you have to complete certain tasks to get rewards or survive under a period of time and when you're done you're released to do your own activities until the next task came up. Usually UF would have other participants who have to work together with you or against you.

This was rare a few years/months ago, it's more common seeing it translated nowadays so getting at least 15/20 titles shouldn't be too hard to get it passed. Thoughts?

FelicitaScarlet likes this.
  7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm confused, that's not what the World Hopping definition says? *tilts head*
    I mean, I dunno, this fits UF like a glove in my view...

8. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    That definition was very general. UF has a more narrow definition. The usual ones would be
    • Taken into an instance
    • Have to fulfill tasks
    • More than one participants
    • Rewards upon completion
    • Exit instance upon completion
    • A break/interval until next instance

9. FelicitaScarlet

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, that's why I wanted to add this tag as well. A translator explained that it's actually a sub-genre so it can be counted as a specific tag in the end, right? After all, normal world hopping novels generally described MC spending their whole life away in the world before proceeding to the next one. And there's also other tags which targets a specific topic.

10. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    If you asked me this last year, I might have said no. But it's more common nowadays that I do think it deserves its own tag, for UF to be a specific tag instead of a general world hopping.

11. FelicitaScarlet

Reading List:
    Link
    Yay! So happy to know that you agree with it, too. I'm sure that many readers will also like that as well.

12. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Since you call it a sub genre, what exactly is the genre under which is falls? The name UF sounds a bit crazy... Is it the established name? If yes, what are the things unique to it?

13. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
  14. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    is this 'unlimited flow' a direct translation of prefix/tag that's often use on chinese novels? i mean, like those fast wear/quick wear stuff that mtl'ers keep using?

15. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, as usual. It literally machine translates to infinite flow, indicating that the tasks are never ending. Throw in your suggestions if there's any counterpart that's more relatable for the English community.

16. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    but this tag, if it exist, ppl will still adds world-hopping tag into each of them, wouldn't they? or are there UF that doesn't involves world(realm/timeline/planet/alternate reality) - hopping?

17. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    The same thing happens with other tags anyway. Until a subtag feature or tag exclusion feature is implemented it wouldn't stop happening. But that doesn't mean the world stop revolving and the tags selection should stay stagnant.
    Yes, of course. The opposite also happens where it stays and happen on that world instead.

Refer to the points I listed above. This isn't like the usual world hopping/QT where you inhabit the body of someone from that world. UF participants got transferred to the instance as their self. They don't spend time living as another person but they carry out tasks given and leave after it's completed.

I didn't list out just one or two titles but under the link I gave and if asked for more titles, there could be more than 15 or 20 titles. That's more than enough titles to portray it's something people look for.

The only concern I have for this is the redundant tags that'll happen with people using both world hopping and UF at the same time. NU can't accommodate this. Even after years the sub-tag/genre feature is not available and probably won't be available for a few more months. That does not mean the tags can wait for that long. It's brought up now, so something should be done, now.

FelicitaScarlet and MangoGuy like this.
  18. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    my main issue is that world hopping is not an optional tag when unlimited flow is used. that means it is created just for it to be redundant. and i'm againts that.

19. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Redundant is never gonna get fixed until we get that subtag/optional tag feature. Just like how Male Protagonist is still gonna be added when the genre is Yaoi/Shounen Ai. Just like how Yaoi and Shounen Ai would still be added together even when either should be chosen instead.

It's not gonna go away anytime soon. This tag / UF however has been waiting for months to get its own working link. Postponing it just to wait for a feature that probably won't be here anytime soon when there's already 2 digits of titles waiting for the tag is not something I want to encourage. Tags shouldn't stay stagnant, novels are added everyday and while redundant tags are possible, new tags should still be added if it calls for them and this one has been waiting for months.

I'm all for it.

20. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    something that's already in place versus intentionally adding more redundant is two different things