Discussion The irony of the harem hater community

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Emissary Nouvelle, Jun 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol. Me and my friends laugh at chucky so I know the vibe. We usually laugh of the stupidity of characters who head towards danger.

touché

2. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    So just to be clear, is this rant only about people hating on harems in general?, or is it including people that hate on harem stories where they feel the harem is just badly written?
    Because I feel I sometimes tend to see people that are defending harems getting those two mixed up.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    otaku31 likes this.
  3. God slayer

God slayer Retired God Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like harem genre and don't read any novel of this genre.... Hm:hmm::hmm::hmm: I'm a harem hater tho I don't think I'd ever waste my time arguing about why they're bad and stuff... I just don't like it and that's that.... I don't understand why people can't just ignore something they hate... Tho I think people who leaves bad review about a harem novel does it because they think that they've wasted their time reading it. They were probably reading it while thinking it won't turn into another harem novel...
    That has happened to me actually:blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary: I've read about 1300+ chapter of renegade immortal only to find that it's a harem....
    Now then I'd really like to leave a bad review about it... But well I'm too much lazy to do that.... But there are some who are not lazy and would leave a bad review and I'm sure bout that...

Mani89, ZeroXSEED, Exalted and 2 others like this.
  4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    its maybe true the minority sometimes have loudest sound cuz they like to show how they hate something? isn't it like ntr hater bashing ntr stuff? those who crying miserable ntr dumb, ntr is beta, ntr is blablabla~ while there critical point for discussion most of times it sound like old cassette play over and over and over again~

it is fun to see at beginning or once awhile but there also times it become boring to see~

EUGA likes this.
  5. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Reasonable. I mean i hate tragedy genre but I don't go around novels with tragedy tag and leaving bad reviews lmao, such a waste of time. If you don't like it, then don't read it.

phreakinsane likes this.
  6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I find it odd that you seem to think harem haters are the only toxic ones.
    I find it laughable.
    I have gotten toxic reviews on novelupdates just because I have ads on my website.

The review even praised the novel as a great novel but went on bashing me for being greedy for having ads.

I usually report and get such reviews removed from novelupdates.

7. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this kinda toxicity is pretty common not only in the harem-hater community, but also in the BL-hater community? :blob_tilt:

A thread could literally be named "For BL Lovers Only" and BL haters would find their way there to try to bash BL. :blobjoy:

So yeah, while I think it's bad, I think it's also super common and there's not really much you can do to stop these hypocritical stupid haters :blobsalt:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    AliceShiki likes this.
  8. Nightangle

Nightangle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think its done mainly when a good story gets ruined because of harem and they think that if they write such reviews the popularity of harem may come down and authors would stop ruining a good story by adding harem into the mix.

otaku31 and Dr_H_16 like this.
  9. Void King

Void King Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not much of a fan of harem genre but I do not hate it. The novels where the mc just moves to the next town and has to get another girl in the harem is a turn off for me. Personally I like small harems but it is not possible that everybody has to like the same thing. But hating the author for it is just taking it too far.

10. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    There are people that cannot resist the urgency to share to the world how much they hate something. I know because I met someone like that. A guy that was very obnoxious about his hater for a character. A hypocritical egocetric jerk that find funny sharing his hate continuously. I guess for some this kind of behavious is funny but for me and some others he was just toxic.

Bad reviews for the sake of hate is bad. But I feel there some troll there which also happen on the opposite end. Good reviews from extreme retarded story. There are people that just want to see the world burn.

11. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is not just harem.

There are to many people who do all that to any story that does not meet their exacting needs. as in if it is not the exact thing they want, and does not develop the way they want it is trash to be called out and made fun of. Regardless of them being the target audience or not. See all the complaints about slice of life series, which have a large portion written for over worked office workers with little free time, but are derided by American teens who have no entered the work force yet so do not understand what a soul crushing job is actually like.

Then there are those who leave reviews calling out the MC of a story for not brutally killing anyone who looks at him wrong, and their families.

It sometimes seems like a lot of it is also closeted racism, using it as a vent to complain and make themselves feel better while not being overtly racist. Or not accepting the desires of other cultures.

Then again there are also the misogynists who are not satisfied by anything less then hard core smut, and think all women should be sucking the MC's D every night regardless of if they are making advances of a sexual nature or not (as there is a difference between dating/romance and full blown baby making), so they complain about MC who are not sexual predators, and complain about the stories written with it not being explicitly stated because it really adds nothing to the story and hurts sales in many cases/areas.

I have not been on your site in a while so not sure if anything has changed, but one of the reasons I stopped going is it would regularly load adds that took up half or more of the screen on my phone, had no way to shrink or dismiss them. and stayed on screen when I scrolled through the page. So ya, complaints about your adds were 100% justified as you were using intrusive and distracting ads. A classic example of the adds without style or taste that are why add blockers were made in the first place.
    but that is true for EVERY genre, not just Harems

12. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    Most "Harem" tagged stories aren't about a harem at all, they are about a virgin main character who is too scared of relationships to commit to a romantic interest. Or they are about serial cheaters who commit to romantic interests before ghosting them.

Stories that are really about harems usually involve political intrigue and social dynamics that are very interesting to read about.

13. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, yes! I noticed this too. Ladies everywhere, but the MC is a chronic herbivore.

14. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    The Harem genre on NU just means that the MC has multiple love interests.

Try the polygamy tag if you want a story where the MC marries many partners.

15. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason for this weirdness is that there are two distinct kinds of harem novels. The more obvious one is the Chinese version which are based on historical polygamous marriages and the other one is based on Japanese otaku works where you just have a whole bunch of female characters who hang around the protagonist. These two versions of harem stories don't have anything to do with each other but NU uses the Japanese definition for the genre, and there's no better name for the Chinese version. To be fair, Chinese style harems are just added to a story; they're not really a genre in and of themselves so NU's choice to do this isn't that bad even though it can be misleading.

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  16. EUGA

EUGA The Taco Sovereign

Reading List:
    Link
    I think people just get vocal because they will rush into a story without tag checking.
    Then when they get to the genre they dislike they will rant usually because. They enjoyed it at first

Wichita is upsetting but understandable. Thus proper tags are a must!

17. Dr_H_16

Dr_H_16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those reviews come from those who didn't expect harem to be in the story they read for either mistagging or new development in that direction in the latest chapter for ongoing stories.

I read SAO first volume, loved it and then vol 2 happened.
    I recently picked it up again after a friend of mine convinced me that the story will never have harem end, and they are true.

By the way, for anybody who wanted to read SAO, you can completely ignore the harem part and the story will still make sense (most of the time).

18. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate harems when I don't know its going to be a harem (whether its untagged or it goes farther into the story before it start). But then I hate romance in general when the novel is about action and adventure, any romance harem or not is distracting. If the harem is treated decently like Mushoku Tensei its fine eventhough the story mostly about action and adventure, other harems seems to be about collecting girls just like collecting golden fingers.

I like harem when the story specifically revolve around it. For example all the great harem manga such as The World Only God Knows (but it is monogamy in the end), Mahou Sensei Negima (the shota mc is cute) and Ai Kora (the body part fetish is hilarious).

19. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I have seen enough "proper" criticism on nu and nuf to know that this is never the case.
    The thing is most people who like harems tend to stick to themselves or to a niche community around popular series. They dont try to argue back as it is frankly pointless to do so against a braindead crowd. Hating on harem has become the popular thing to do. If you start a hate thread vs harem, everyone will join in.
    Compare that to say BL or even some of the popular garbage, criticize it and everyone, fans or not would be against you.

On top of all this with how harem tag is spammed, all the criticisms of xianxia due to novels like ATG are also somehow coz "harem". It has essentially become the tag to throw under the bus whenever there is any problems in a story.

otaku31 likes this.
  20. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I partly disagree. Harem is not read by just a select few and it, therefore, has more critics than, say, BL. By that same reasoning, I'd venture to say harem is less offensive to the larger reader base who reluctantly read it, but often come off more convinced than ever that their initial fear— that harem is trash— was vindicated, not realizing that it was just another poorly written harem novel, as many of them tend to be. I'd say the greatest enemy of harem is actually badly done harem.

By contrast, you'd rarely see any male reading BL, and thus, the hate against BL is more from a instinctive distaste for the genre than anything else. BL fetishizes gay males, but how many males, gay or otherwise, read BL to be able to provide evidence of it? But this is not always the case with harem.

That said, I agree that a part of the hate is simply repugnance for the very concept and nothing more. And this revulsion spills over to the harem readers and authors, wherein they are sometimes equated to unpardonable sinners for having such "deviant" tastes and accused of promoting misogyny and such. And while you'll note that I mentioned "proper, reasoned criticism of the harem presented in the novel" rather than a blanket criticism of the genre itself, when too many of similar poorly done harems are encountered, the distinction vanishes only to be replaced by the instinctive association of 'harem is trash'.

I can tolerate harem, even appreciate it if I feel it's executed well. 'Orc Eroica' for example does a good job of this. Note that the synopsis clearly states that it is a tale of a harem seeking protagonist and, by rights, should be resented, yet the ratings and reviews tell a completely different tale.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    Mani89, ZeroXSEED, Nimroth and 2 others like this.