Does It Matter?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Yakinori, Jun 23, 2021.

Tags:
?

Have you ever failed in a class or subject?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    48.7%
  3. Asdfghjklzxcbmoqwerty

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Yakinori

Yakinori Human

Reading List:
    Link
    I've seen a lot of people who, when fails in a particular subject or class, always say "Grades are just numbers." blah blah.

Do you think grades matter?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    SquadCammander354 likes this.
  2. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, as long as you get that damn Diploma and a College degree, your High School grades don't matter in the western world! :blobsanta:

3. Mr. Tired

Mr. Tired Professional Idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    Especially in families with parents/guardians who want you to succeed, it's suffocating. Thankfully, I never had serious pressure or punishments for bad grades. But I find it frustrating and disgusting most schools, teachers, and parents/adults, in general, care more about the grades themself, and not WHAT you learned and if there was even any gain.
    Remember your accomplishments and failures don't define your knowledge and definitely, not your own self worth. :]

AND MENTAL HEALTH. I get that sometimes, sure 'sucking it up' is needed to get you through the day, because it's just one history test.
    But you also don't want to break down at school, or fail the test since you were in a bad mental spot and needed a break. Taking a break isn't bad, and doesn't make you weak. But feeling down/anxiety-ridden isn't something to feel bad about either, and taking a break for your well being should not be something to be scolded about.
    Beginning of my high school year, I had straight A's and B's and honestly? I remember diddly dee dum jack squat.
    Except that mitochondria are the powerhouse of the call, the curtains were blue, wear a condom, this weird man was somehow a lord of flies, and that, "OLLIE don't touch the dry ice!" is something to actually acknowledge from Mrs. S and not ignore.

This year, bad grades.
    Yes, I learned this year Dr. Suess is somehow racist, I need a 'white chart' and to erase my whiteness, to save the draft and not log out as it deletes the essay I took 4 hours on, eating ramen for 3 weeks is not good, and changing the Zoom profile name from 'Ollie' to 'Big Chungus' or 'Daddy Laffy Taffy (;" gives me bad marks and is, "Innaporpriate, Ollie! That is IMMATURE"

But muting is also an option. I was waiting all year to tell a teacher, "What are ya gonna do? Send me home?" but alas, I was a good boy the rest of the time and was unable to use that phrase.

4. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To me they don’t. Never cared about grades and such. Plus the US school system is a joke anyway. :blob_coffee::blob_coffee::blob_coffee:

Mr. Tired likes this.
  5. elliejoy123

elliejoy123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yes it matters. "grades is just a number" is a concept people hide behind when they fail something, which is totally understandable. But your grades really are important when it comes to your future. Its importance varies depending on what level of education you are in but your grades will really go a long way. In the end, you can fail and humble yourself if you need to. Failing a subject Is definitely understandable and you can always get back up again, but don't give up thinking "grades are just numbers" or you might end up losing a lot more opportunities in the future.

6. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the don't really matter in the long run. After a year or two out of college it doesn't matter. For my particular field I feel like college shouldn't be necessary as you need to pass some certification exams anyways. These certification exam are pass fail as well, so does it really matter what score you get. They are to wear Friday, you know something and handled by an outside centralized organizations, so it has nothing to do with the school you go to or went to. Spend more time building connections because connections will get you farther then a perfect gpa.

AliceShiki likes this.
  7. Deleted member 363076

Deleted member 363076 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    To the society/parents/teachers/relatives, the GRADES MATTER and define u.
    To us/u, grades are like scoring brownie points~^^

8. Mr. Tired

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    It was put into words.

Edit: scrolling through the internet, the Western bad Education System memes are my new love and past time.
    [​IMG]

AliceShiki likes this.
  9. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s just an over glorified babysitter. :blobowoevil::blobowoevil::blobowoevil:

Mr. Tired likes this.
  10. naghi32

naghi32 The Loner

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes they do, pressure leads to better grades, better grades lead to more pressure, more pressure leads to unhealthy obsessions, and in the end we all die like lumps of meat & bones. Unfortunately the school system is broken and barely functioning , that is also the same for the higher education system. There is too much to talk about it, so I am just going to skip it.

11. Mr. Tired

Reading List:
    Link
    Harshly tests memorization skills, not learning or intelligence.
    american-education-system_o_1067346.jpg

12. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    While I agree that grades doesn't matter as much as people make it seem, I disagree at the motion that grades are just numbers. There are employers that look at your records, the school you came from, the activities you joined into and those things give them an image of what kind of person you might be. And let's say you managed to push your grades to the utmost limit, topped certification exams etc etc. At that time, there is a chance that it is the jobs themselves that will land on your front door. You have the freedom to choose which one you want. Anyway, if you're good at studies, as long as you're not straining yourself, why not aim for your highest potential.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  13. Little Evil

Little Evil Hello o/

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless you wish to get into some elite school, not rly.
    Stuff that needs impressive performance needs practice too.

AliceShiki likes this.
  14. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, it's to the point where a growing number of corporations are no longer requiring degrees. They prefer certificates.
    1. Grades vary depending on school and the average performance during that time.
    2. Certificates are done by a third party and are standardized.
    3. Not going to university greatly expands application/talent pool. University is a long time and large financial commitment that not everyone can afford, especially in western countries (USA).
    4. Younger people means they have more energy and are willing to accept lower salaries. (They don't have the large debt from the education.)

There are exceptions to this trend, mainly medical fields and law. Though in some countries you are able to apprentice to become a lawyer without needing to get a law degree.

15. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    Grades are only important for entering the next level of education and if you are interested in merit scholarships.

Otherwise, B’s get degrees, my friend.

All in all, I have always believed in comprehension and critical thinking over grades. If I forgot what the word is for a vocabulary question, but I understand the concept, then I won’t sweat it. If I messed up an essay-based test, then that’s a whole other ball game.

Idk though, that’s just my perspective as a college student tho.

AliceShiki likes this.
  16. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I failed far too many classes to count. I actually failed enough to get kicked out of uni~
    ... And well, I never bothered with going back, I didn't feel the need to~

So uhn... About grades and numbers? Mmmmmm, well, it depends a lot on where you live and how your school/market works. AFAIK, in the US people actually care about their grades because people looking for possible employees actually check the grades someone got in uni, so having high grades is good. Or at least that's what I heard.

... Where I live though? Nobody could care less. At most they'll care about what university you got your diploma from, and even that is rare. More often than not, they'll just care about your work experience and if you're good at dealing with other people, pretty much everything else is close to meaningless.
    There was a saying in uni that "5=10, 10=god" (our grades go from 0 to 10, 5 is the passing grade), because... The 10 was just meaningless. Nobody cared about it. Nobody anywhere cared for it. If you got a 10, you're basically the divine student that makes miracles... That has about as much chances of getting a job as someone that got 5s.

Most that I saw were some internships that required an average grade of 7.5 to accept students, but those were super rare.
    ... Ah, and of course, you probably needed a good grade to get to your uni of choice, so you needed a good grade to enter them.

That's about it I guess. Those are my experiences with grades.. At the end of the day, they're most worthless and nobody really cares for them. At least not where I live.

If the people hiring you care for your grades though, it doesn't hurt to strive to get a better grade~

17. Ahodesuga

Ahodesuga °˖✧Aho desu ga, Nani ka?✧˖° 《Liking Fiend》

Reading List:
    Link
    They matter... Imo...

otaku31 likes this.
  18. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    Grades for applying to a job yes. Do i use the knowledge of it from school in my office job? Nah. Except of language.

19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    yes and no
    feel weird?
    nope~ it just how we see it and take conclusion from it~

when you know, see, or have sudden change on grades why such thing happen? thats when grade matter, more so if you involve on education system such as teacher sometime you somehow dig unpleasant thing just from curiosity why xxx grade sunk~ it also can show (albeit limited) ability toward something~

on other side it usual grade can't really predict what happen on future~ the mindset everyone have their own way of learning~

grade is part of system to show evaluation toward a subject~ is it good or not hmm imo yes but the system itself may flawed~

20. reizleigh

reizleigh Wicked Oni

Reading List:
    Link
    Is 2-2.75 considered failed?