Discussion Is maths in college hard?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Alairia, Jun 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alairia

Alairia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Going into health sciences and lately, my parents have been stressing me to get maths tutoring classes (more specifically, about calculus I II, or whatever), because they heard from their friends' children that maths in college going to be extremely difficult. I have always been fine with maths, so I was not really worried, but dAMn, my parents' stress kinda getting to me. I was pondering if it was really that bad??

Deleted member 363076 likes this.
  2. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if it's just calculus and you're not going into a math based major, I don't think it's that bad.
    Not saying it's easy, but not that you'd need to prelearn it via tutors before you start class.

3. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Calculus based math/science is hard, especially differential calculus. Matrix is on par to that too

4. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    You can count on it. :cookie:

Alairia likes this.
  5. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on what your major is and what level of classes you are taking. For instance, if you are planning to go into math based majors then yes, the math there will be a bit harder compared to other majors. If not, then the math is not too bad.

6. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Should be okay as long as you take it with some friends and stuff~

7. Deleted member 363076

Deleted member 363076 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I listened to my parents rant of "how oh-so difficult math is in higher standards" and dropped maths.
    I regretted it deeply.(ب_ب)
    You should believe in urself, if u think u can do it then go for it!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2021
    ANonMouse likes this.
  8. skyfall3250

skyfall3250 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only if you are going for math based majors. Otherwise it will just be application of math and won't be that difficult.

9. lavendidi

lavendidi First of Her Name, Lover of Cliches

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're going for a math-based major, then yes. But if you're not, then it's handleable(lol is there such a word)

10. TianKrea

TianKrea 『Novice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really. Calculus I-II is actually very easy if you study a bit.

11. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on how good your math already is. If you are getting B's in school, you should get tutors, if you go straight A's - then it's likely not going to be that big of a challenge, as long as you actually pay attention. Naturally, if you go any lower than B's, then you should really work on your math.
    But then again, it also depends on your major. If it's math-related or computer-science related then it's going to be a little harder, for example, than if your major is economy-related or physics-related for the first like 2 years more or less. Then it's other majors, but there it's basic stuff not really worth mentioning. At least that's how it was in my Uni. Don't know how it will be with your institution of higher education, but I think it shouldn't be that different.
    Then again, you can find calculus, analytic geometry and linear algebra textbooks of 1st and 2nd years and get a feel for yourself. It's really easy to get them on the net, especially if they were published some 60 years ago.
    EDIT:
    Saw you wrote health-related sciences. You mean, medicine and stuff, right? Then it shouldn't be hard at all. But I guess that also depends on you

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Alairia likes this.
  12. KurouDaijuji

KurouDaijuji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Health Sciences" implies (1) Science & (2) Medicine-adjacent, both of which further imply you'll be seeing a lot of math.

So unless you found the Math you've done to date quite easy, you probably do want to get a head start with tutoring (as an added bonus, if you get good, you might be able to make pocket money as a tutor yourself later).

Note that while I am uncertain why you'll need Calculus for "Health Sciences" (then again, I sucked at Calculus, & I ended up trying to major in Applied Math one year) I am pretty sure you'll be seeing a lot of Statistical Mathematics because a huge amount of medicine related science involves comparisons of data across large groups, because small groups aren't overly useful for working out how medical stuff works because individual humans tend to be too different, & it's only when dealing with large numbers of us that the general trends become valid.

Alairia likes this.
  13. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    No it isn't. Just take a lot of patience. They weren't exactly harder than what have you learned in HS. They just made it very longer than problems usually thrown at you in your HS. You need to have patience and attention to the details when you're writing their solution.
    These days they allow you to use calculator so i doubt it would be harder than like us when we are told to rely on mental calculation.

14. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Not at all, unless your math currently is a fullblown shitshow

15. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, it's definitely a step up in difficulty but everything is. Like everything else, it really depends on your teacher. I struggled, but later I went back with an online course that explained it better than my college teacher did. Suddenly it wasn't that hard.

If you're worried about it, why don't you check out the course material on Khan academy ahead of time? You should be able to find everything there, sorted by class. Their math classes are absolutely stellar, they're free, and they cover pretty much everything from pre-school math to astrophysics.

16. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    depends, its not that different from high school ones if you don't go to math related major

17. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    depend on college/university and course. If it is higher STEM then you be using letters mostly than numbers.

18. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    If it’s not a math related major, then it’s okay. Most people only take algebra, geometry, or precal in college.

It might be a bit harder than high school, but your college will have a tutoring center and they will likely be able to help you all the time.

19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    If you have always been fine with math, then you probably won't have big issues.

Maybe you might struggle to some extent, but you'll probably be able to pass just fine if you try.

No need to get a tutor.

20. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's something that might assure or frighten you. College level math (unless you enter math specific degree) are what they teach in asian high school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.