Discussion Genre/subgenre/trope of novels that u don't like, hate, can't read, ignore and why?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Joseph_Heatfield, Jun 24, 2021.

1. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't found a new power leveling fantasy that I like in a while. Maybe it's because it's gotten old for me, but I recently reread INEBM, and that's a power leveling fantasy too.

What's true is that I really haven't found a good Xianxia/xuanhuan for quite a while...I think it's the combinations of MC being a power-levelling genius, useless numbers of harem members/love interests, reused premises (oh no, MC too OP for the area he's in? throw him into another place, problem solved! He can even meet the same arrogant young masters, just with different names!), and cryptic Daoism in how the power levels work that annoys me. I've read a few xianxia/xuanhuan without these elements, and that's what makes them good. But I feel like at least half of all the xianxia/xuanhuan on NU has those things.

Showbiz novels partly annoy me because nearly all of them are dog blood romance with a side of face-slapping, and I just get tired of dog blood romance with a side of face-slapping after a while. It's not that I find the goal of being an idol or film emperor/empress or whatever shallow, though. I find it not too different from those who want to attain power. The main reason why I dislike showbiz novels is because the protagonists rely on fame and reputation to make a living, so there's nearly always blackmail and slander in the plot.

Joseph_Heatfield likes this.
  2. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The genre labels on NU are assigned by readers, and when readers don't know what wuxia is, then there are going to be a lot of non-wuxia novels that get that label. As long as you stick to proper you'll probably be okay. The best place to start would be Jin Yong novels:

The Legend of the Condor Heroes
    The Return of the Condor Heroes
    The Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre
    These three form the Condor Heroes series, and the first book of these is the best starting place for reading wuxia in general.

Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils
    Smiling Proud Wanderer
    The Deer and the Cauldron
    The other Jin Yong long novels are also very good and they tend to be all unique in their own right. I wouldn't start with these books for various reasons, but they're definitely worth checking out afterwards. I'd also say that it's hard to come up with any Chinese novels as good as ones.

Also, as these books have been adapted to TV many times, you can also check out the shows instead of reading the books. However, the quality of these adaptations is highly variable so it's better to read the books first.

3. efo

efo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe it's because you're reading the same things for too long that you're getting sick of it. all novels that I've read is about romance, mostly BL but whenever I get tired of BL I read BG and like this I can read almost all tropes. I know this will sound weird but I don't read novels with tropes that I imagine I won't like even though I've never read it before. for example, when it's BL I can read Martial arts, wuxia, xianxia etc. but if it's BG then I won't and I even didn't read it before. ( maybe I should try it someday?:hmm: ) of course there is some genres/tags that drives me away from novels like:
    • ( when it's BL ) seme protagonist.
    • harem.
    • QT or world hopping. ( I don't know if it's the same thing. )
    • like I said, when it's BG anything Martial arts/wuxia/xianxia.
    • ... that's all. :blobokhand:
    again, I've never read those before so yeah... I've noticed that as long as it's romance, I'm not extremely picky. :blob_grin:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Joseph_Heatfield likes this.