Reference writing

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Shaiole, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Shaiole

Shaiole Mad scientist

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to write fiction with world building and everything but it's just so hard.
    I want to include poisons, maybe medical stuffs related too. But i have no little knowlege about the topic. I also want to learn about some sea/geography but i already forgot most of these stuffs from college.
    I dont wanna just write whatever. Like those in some godly doctor novels that people are cured with a needle poke or two. Or maybe with some magical herb/poison that exists for convenience.

Does anyone knows any reference books or learning materials i can read just for learning that i can FIND ONLINE FOR FREE? It's hard to google just anything because sometimes I don't even know what im looking for. What do pro writers do when they want to write about something but knows next to nothing about it...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    hansora likes this.
  2. Deleted member 363076

Deleted member 363076 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Why don't you try Wikipedia + Britannica?
    Besides, search the library, books are catalogued so might help ya~~
    ^^

phonebinder, aintg and Shaiole like this.
  3. aintg

aintg Fairy Queen of the Demonic Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not a pro, but I suppose the first thing you need is a premise. For example, if I wanted to write a story about someone suffering from a delayed amnesia, I would look up if that condition was possible, what might cause it, would it be temporary or permanent, etc.

In your case, you probably could focus first on your protagonist, like what kind of doctors they were, and what sort of things they would experience throughout the story. As for the setting, if your story takes place near the sea, you may look up the lives in port cities, like the people's lifestyle, cultures, etc. I think you could take examples from actual places in real life, which you could modify accordingly to fit your story.

It would be challenging, but once you immerse yourself in it, you might end up enjoying the adventure! I wish you the best of luck! :blob_pompom:

Shaiole and asriu like this.
  4. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    This is one of the few mistakes new writers make. At the first place you don't really have to go into depth about the technical stuff that'll appear what? 1 or 3 times in your story unless it plays a big part of your story. Just focus more on the plot then ideas, thought of what you need to include will flow from there don't overthink stuff lol or it'll show in your work.

phonebinder and AliceShiki like this.
  5. babybb

babybb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Time to go down the Wikipedia rabbit hole~ :blob_coffee:

You’ll start off with the Siege of Kumamoto Castle and end on a page about the neurotoxin in pufferfish. It happens to the best of us.

Shaiole likes this.
  6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    ya need to focus~
    learn some restraint will ya~

babybb likes this.
  7. Shaiole

Shaiole Mad scientist

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm makes sense. Maybe I'll just polish it after i get a general idea...
    Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Lois. likes this.