Discussion Is it worth it to continue reading RSSG?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Grand_Rider_Iskandar, May 29, 2021.

1. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Grand_Rider_Iskandar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've stopped reading RSSG aling time ago. By the time I've reached around 1100-1200, it got exhausting. It's basically the same enemy, but stronger and more people. It was repetitive. There's no flavor. Sure it might be fun to see the guild get stronger, but the enemy is boring.

2. Lord Rae

Lord Rae Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I stopped too. But I made it to almost 2600. I think it's over now at 2900+ chapters but it seems like a hell of a lot happens in the last 300 chapters. When I stopped it was still in the loop of having Zero Wing do something amazing but all the "super guilds" dismissed them as not able to compete despite never losing a battle. That's why I stopped. When you go out of your way to show how amazing your MC and guild are but then you keep running into hidden experts every 5 chapters and no one ever thinks they have chance no matter what the past says it gets old. It also seems like the ending might have been very rushed.

3. Be autiful

Be autiful Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Dr_H_16

Dr_H_16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no idea what RSGG is but from what I can tell you doesn't seem to enjoy it anymore.
    Please feel free to drop it. Don't keep going just because you had read so much.
    If you feel it's boring then stop and read something else.

Jojo775 and otaku31 like this.
  5. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Reading List:
    Link
    I've posted this way after I dropped it. For some reason, people like it so I asked if it's worth reading it again.

6. Dr_H_16

Dr_H_16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my opinion... NOPE!
    The title sounds like a complete waste of time.
    Better looking for something else new.
    My recommendation, Goblin Kingdom and Mother of Learning (if you haven't read it yet).

7. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Reading List:
    Link
    Wew, that's also what my friend said when I started this story.

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  8. Lord Rae

Lord Rae Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly if you like the early story and the setting then I'd say just read Rebirth of the Thief who Roamed the world if you haven't. The story is almost exactly the same in some aspects but the character motivations are stronger and the plot points flow more smoothly together.

Example. In RSSG the MC wants revenge and is sent back in time because he's been screwed over by the owners of the guild and has to delete his character he's spent 10 years on. Gets drunk and wakes up in the past. In Rebirth of the Thief he dies while assasinating the insanely rich and powerful guy who ruined his family and caused his parents death and his daily misery. When he dies he actually goes back in time and has a chance to right all the wrongs. So from the first chapter the motivation is stronger and easier to follow imho.

Also there aren't as many dropped story threads as RSSG. It's also shorter. Thief is 995 chapters while RSSG is really close to 3000. Because it's shorter and there are more important plot points the story is more condensed. I don't know which one came first but if I read one again it'll be Thief.

9. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read it long ago because the Author is the one who wrote Tales of Demons and Gods, the very first xianxia I've read. Don't really remember anything about it though. I'll try to read it again. Thanks.

10. AzureEmpR

AzureEmpR Your Typical Bored Student

Reading List:
    Link
    Imo no, RSSG was one of the first "novels" online that got me into reading wuxia, xianxia etc so i continued reading it a few months ago from about 1500 to 2600 for sentimental value and i just couldnt finish it because the quality had dropped drastically from when i first read the novel. Personally i think reading it to around 800-1000 is fine but afterwards it gets repetitive and drags on, you can tell that the author probably lost interest or ideas and was trying to end it quick. Btw there's no romance as well, I was kind of interested in seeing his outside world and class monitor but she was forgotten quickly and the real world was simply him drinking some nutrient fluids before getting back into the game

Grand_Rider_Iskandar likes this.
  11. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Tales is a generic xianxia, more of a joke here on NUF. One of the first batch of early translated CN web novels yes but I wouldn't read anything else from the author. Tales is there for nostalgia and laughs, there is a cult that gathers once a month when a new short chapter gets released as the author trolls. I used to attend the gathering once a month even after I stopped reading xianxia completely, now I just check it twice a year, not because it's good but I'm curious to see what happens, feel the nostalgia and laugh. If I was a relatively new xianxia reader, say I had 8 xianxia under my belt and then started reading Tales, I'd drop it after a few chapters lol.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Mr v and Grand_Rider_Iskandar like this.
  12. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I tried to read it again around a year ago, didn't really enjoy it. It was good as an introduction to xianxia because it's very generic, but it certainly is not good.

13. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Even good xianxia's start to get exhausting once you've read enough of them.
    You'll get over xianxia soon enough, then over other asian web novel genres likely as well. You can never get tired of fanfics though, there are trash fanfics yes... there are also fanfics that are more realistic or even better than original. Here's my best of list
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/9071421/

14. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the list.