Discussion Author who insert his/her kinks or fetish into his novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Fluffy Jellyfish, Jun 25, 2021.

?

Will you still read novel with some kinks Author inserted in?

1. Yes, I even actively search it for the thrill

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. It doesn't matter as long as the novel is still readable

29 vote(s)
    80.6%
  3. No, I will drop it because it makes me uncomfortable

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    If I dropped every single book that had the authors kinks/fetishes inserted in the story isn't there pretty much almost nothing to read lol because even the facial, body and fashion style or personality traits that the author gives certain characters can be a show of his fetish or kink. Just look at how many books include adjectives like big breasted, black or blond haired, laced and etc.. so yeah just let the poor man live his fantasy even if it's in the form of his writing lol.

DustySpiral and PaladinWolf like this.
  2. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    I need the source for this one sir :blobowoevil_horns:

this is a "normal" fetish or I would simply call it Author preferences while the one I mean is something more "unusual"

babybb likes this.
  3. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that it's impossible for authors to keep deeply held beliefs and interest out of the books they write. And it's not something that applies to just some authors; it should apply to all of them. I'd say that it's good that authors do this (unless they get overly weird). The reason is that there are so many sources of material that can go into a novel, and anything that's deeply held is going to mean more and thus is more likely to be real.

PaladinWolf likes this.
  4. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I want incest or rape I will straight out search for the tags. But I HATE for anything romantic to happen on novels I search based on 'adventure' or 'action' tags. There need to be a focus on the story.

5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't get this point much. There is more to a person's life than their duty to save the world. I don't see how falling in love would take away from the story.

Like, the love interest will probably be part of the heroes that need to save the world anyways, so it's not like you're changing the story's focus with the romance... It's just something to give more depth to the characters during their quest.

Fluffy Jellyfish and Nimroth like this.
  6. AmethystCherry

AmethystCherry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I always tend to drop those lol.

7. DustySpiral

DustySpiral Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, consider this an opportunity to learn a lesson about titling threads. The poll in particular isn't very useful since there's no way to know how many of the voters read your OP first to learn you're referring to a very small subset of possible fetishes. A subset that's not just "unusual" ones, it's specifically unusual fetishes regarding socially taboo pairings / incest / etc. "Women doing things underwater", for example, is a bizarre fetish that I didn't know existed until fans of that commented on a certain comic.

When an author inserts their kink into a story, there's a few possibilities -

> You don't notice it. Generally this is when the kink is strange, you aren't familiar with it, and it only appears rarely during parts of the story where something like that would be acceptable anyway. For example, having a lifedrain / absorbtion / etc fetish in a cultivation novel where turning other cultivators into resources is a part of the setting.
    > You notice it, you're into that kind of thing, high-five.
    > The same as above, except the author is waaay more into it than you are and you think they either need to calm down or a pivot to writing erotica. >.>
    > You notice it, and you're into that kind of thing, but feel it (or at least how it's handled) detracts from this particular story. Basically excessive / poorly timed /etc fanservice, fetish edition. Alternately, the author is just super bad at it ("author sucks at romance", fetish edition).
    > You notice it, but don't really care about it, so whatever. Most of what you're calling "regular author preferences" fall under this type. Perhaps you'd care more if it were actually erotica, but it's not so you don't.
    > You notice it, you don't care about it, but feel it detracts from this particular story.
    > You notice it, and it disgusts you or at least makes you feel uncomfortable.

You could split most/all of these into various sub-groupings, especially that last one, based on how intense the feeling is but that's pretty much what the options are.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Greater thunder likes this.
  8. Arnoach

Arnoach Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I dropped a novel because of this! I forgot the novel title but I think it was a gender bender one reborn as a god dragon descendant.. Anyway he just made the mc marry another woman with dragon blood and a human mistress (female triangle lol) then mc's wife just went and did the deal with the mistress having a kid with her while she had a kid with mc and mc was like "You kid is mine idc!"..... Trust me it was disgusting with the way the author wrote to portray it....

Fluffy Jellyfish likes this.