Discussion Dealing with smart people

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, Jun 27, 2021.

?

On a scale of 1 to 10, how intelligent do you feel you are? (there are many types of intelligence!)

1. 1

3.3%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

4.9%
  4. 4

3.3%
  5. 5

9.8%
  6. 6

18.0%
  7. 7

19.7%
  8. 8

13.1%
  9. 9

1.6%
  10. 10

1.6%
  11. 11 (yes I know, I'm both smart and humble)

18.0%
  12. 0 (I'm a failure of the human race)

14.8%
  13. others?

4.9%
  14. *noms skullie*

16.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I was just using the word I saw in the novels. They use the word smart. Even though I'm aware that there are many types of smart haha

kkgoh and Havisu like this.
  2. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Smart people tend to be sly.. but that one type is still manageable, smart people also tend to be immature too, but this one also manageable.

The one that I can't stand is smart people who are both sly and immature.

Why immature? Because they only think about themselves, and think other people are the one be who are being selfish.

3. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've taken other IQ tests, and I tested 115, which is one standard dev above mean.
    Asking for IQ is not much different than asking for height.

4. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You got me, officer.

[​IMG]

Let me jot this down for future reference .... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    AliceShiki likes this.
  5. Recouer

Recouer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i was rather asking how you scored on this test in particular as I've seen many of those tests where you can easily score between 130 and 150, to see if this one was accurate.

6. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think it matters whether or not the dude I talk to is smart or not. Most of the time people just don't understand what I mean to imply, annoying but also partly my fault because I got into the habit of talking in riddles or metaphors irl without thinking too deeply into it. It's not that they're stupid but we may just not be in the same wavelength and I may also be socially inept/awkward so God bless my soul.

7. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My prior testing fit my experience as a practicing engineer and B+ student at university, so I did not feel the need for more testing.

I pass along this recommendation from Aaron Clarey the author of "Curse of the High IQ".

8. Recouer

Recouer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well it seemed pretty accurate in my case too so that's why it got me intrigued.

9. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh, 'intelligence' is truly a catch all word that means so many things it basically doesn't mean anything.

I was reading adult books just fine by age five and once managed to solve one of those "impossible puzzles" with cash prices, in an hour, by accident, when I was 12. So many people have told me I'm smart for weird stuff I've somehow accidentally accomplished or said. And yet I can barely figure out how to calculate my taxes and say the dumbest fucking things as if on a schedule. Intelligence is incredibly selective.

Bad Storm likes this.
  10. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    raw intelligence is like the caliber of a gun. It needs ammo and to be pointed with skill to be effective. Analogously, ammo is the info you take in, marksmanship is training.

Taxes are a subset of accounting and can be learned through training and study. I took a tax prep course with Jackson Hewitt after graduation into the post 911 recession, but got a full time job before using. It saved me money in the long run, because I've done my own and my mother's taxes for 17 out of 19 past years.

Social interaction can be improved by understanding yourself and why you are making these comments. Practice also helps. I think that knowing the socio-sexual hierarchy helps, too.

Beyond 2 to 2.5 standard devs above the mean, more intelligent people.are less successful in average. This is probably due to difficulty interacting with other people and sheer boredom in school.

Unpolished intelligence is like any other human attribute, it is necessary but not sufficient for success. Another analogy, height helps basketball players. I knew a guy in high school who was 6'-8", but couldn't out muscle other players in the paint, so still stunk it up as the center.

Llamadragon likes this.
  11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Teeheehee?

12. Jevanka926

Jevanka926 Grumpy and Awkward <3

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe because I can rarely fit in and not all people can relate with my topics,I can't easily find a friend. Also, I find that most of my friends are smart. So yes, I do find myself talk easier with smart people.

Anyway, most of the times people see me as a loner (and not because I want to, I simply don't have a really close friend who can be with me all the time.)

I did have them -or acknowledge them-, let's just say that it didn't end well.

13. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hustler or Playboy? :p

I can sort of relate to how working with smart people is a lot better than working with stupid ones because the smart ones will get what you are saying, or at minimum not take actions that can cause severe losses while the idiots can cause huge disasters, and I'm not joking about the disaster part, some idiots can and have cost lives before, like "don't throw that detcord into the fire" and the next moment, "BOOM!!" 2 dead people. This was a case study in the British Army IIRC. Or this one is from my father who was in construction. He very specifically told a worker "Don't cut through this level, there is a power cable underneath it." When he came back, there was a hole in the floor and that section of the building was blacked out. He had to compensate and repair all the damages done and it's only by sheer luck that the idiot worker did not kill himself as an encore.

Smart people are safer to communicate with because you have no idea what idiots are going to do and if they're going to do something that will kill themselves and anyone nearby.

14. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Re: How so ?

Well there are times they talk too little and assume they get all their point across.

Frankly speaking yes dealing with smart peoples is easier than dealing with idiots of which sometimes the idiom that says 'insanity is trying the same things and expecting different results' fit them better than 'fools learn from experience, smart learns from history'.

To be fair though both can be equally frustrating to deal with. Your bias might come from which one that comes towards you and frustrates you more in daily basis. For me it's the idiots.

15. Llamadragon

Reading List:
    Link
    Neither, I preferred gore over the fleeting passions of the flesh

16. Fictionaddiction

Fictionaddiction Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes because some smart people can be very manipulative and dump all the work on you. It has to be someone who is direct and willing to cooperate.

Arbelbyss likes this.
  17. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Scion』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    No, that isn't a smart person if they dump the work on you. It's called being lazy.

Fictionaddiction likes this.
  18. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does that mean you shredded the books? :D

19. Llamadragon

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not convinced that gore means what you think it means

20. ifeelanime

ifeelanime Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of things matter when you're communicating with others.

Even if you're the smartest person in the world, you can be manipulated while talking with the combination of the environment, smell, time, gender, looks etc.